Cleaner cut`s and longer lasting scalpel blades.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bogusbandit56, Jan 7, 2019.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I use Swann Morton number 11 blades for cutting materials and paper for my models and up until the other day I was spending a heck of a lot of money on blades.
    I spent a few pounds on a cheap Chinese strop and some green abrasive soap to keep my scalpel blades sharp. Normally I would use a least 5 blades per build replacing them when they started to tear the depron.
    Now I strop the blade 10 times each side and the scalpel runs through paper and foam silky smooth.
    This would will work very well for builders using $treefoam where the china clay in the paper dulls blades very quickly and causes the paper to tear and end up with jagged edges on your foam.
    I have been using the same blade for two weeks now on Paper, soft XPS foam, Depron and balsa wood and it cut`s just like a new blade each time I use the strop.
    Do yourself a favour and buy a strop or make one from leather and a flat piece of wood:)

Attached Files:

Wildthing, Sterling101 and andy_downs like this.
  2. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Sounds like a bloody good idea mate! I've just bought another 200 blades in preparation for the Lancaster build...

Wildthing and bogusbandit56 like this.
  3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It`s well worth the little investment. I have cut out the AN2 and the big Pucara with one blade, normally I would have used 10 or 15. Probably more.
    A small out lay via ebay.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Sharpening-Wood-Handle-Strop-Tool-Double-Sided-Polish-Compound-DIY/401535017851?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  4. I haven't tried that but I do clean my blades every now and then, even just the tiniest bit of glue will make the blade act as if it was dull. You notice it really easy on the Depron Aero and Grey.

bogusbandit56 and Sterling101 like this.
  5. 200 for one bird?????? :D :D

Sterling101 likes this.
  6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

The abrasive soap cleans the crap off the blades no problem as well as polishing the cutting edge.
    Try it you will love the results.

malukk, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  7. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Hopefully not but it worked out cheaper to buy in bulk ;)

8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Jeff, the soft green XPS I used to build the AN2 tears very easily but using the strop and abrasive soap I haven`t had those tears. Cutting the plans over the depron is a breeze.

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  9. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

i've been useing a small steel for years,I don't know how many planes I cut out with these two blades.

Attached Files:

10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`ve got a diamond steel but I can`t get an edge on the blades like the strop:)

11. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Got one on order with the soap so will give it a go. Hopefully it'll save me a small fortune in blades!

Now if only I could get a trade in on rejected 3D printed parts...

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`m sure some bright spark could make an objet d`art from all that stuff.
    Look what Chris Ofili made with elephant crap.:D
    [​IMG]

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  13. Sterling101 likes this.
  14. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I haven`t and I dont think I will need one. I`m still using the the same blade and the strop after three plane builds. That`s cutting balsa, depron, soft XPS and paper.
    Once the blade starts to drag it gets the treatment and it cut`s better than a new blade.
    Even takes off uhu por and tape adhesive.
    I wish I had known about this 5 years ago , I could have saved a great deal of money on blades.

Sterling101, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  15. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

My strop arrived last night so will be giving it a go soon as I have some depron to be cutting in a few days.
    Sounds like it could well be the perfect solution to saving all the excess knife blade usage as I've never known anything dull a blade like depron does.
    Obviously if we all get on board the strop train the blade manufacturers will be going out of business as their sales will go through the floor :D

16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Did you know that strops have been banned in public use like hairdressers and barbers because of the potential transfer of deseases and bacteria?
    So give a strop a life on your workbench:D

Wildthing and homey666 like this.