Chargers?!

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Funnyfoot, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Funnyfoot

Funnyfoot Airman

I am on the market for a charger that can charge 2-4 Li-Pos at the same time. I want to know if the Turnigy Reakto 300W 20A 6S Balance Charger can do this. My highest mAh battery is a 3200 3S, and that will likely be the highest. Is there anything extra I have to buy to get this charger to work? Can it hook up to the wall AND a car battery? Thanks!

2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

What I'm seeing is you can only charge one battery at a time. Otherwise this will make for a very good charger/balencer.

Additional equipment would require a good 20+ amp power supply.

3. CRMERC

CRMERC Ace Pilot

any thoughts on the Prophet Duo? from Dynamite?

4. Funnyfoot

Funnyfoot Airman

Can anyone recommend a charger that can do 2-4S batteries at least, 2-4 batteries at one time. I would like one for under $100. Thanks!

5. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

I think you are asking a lot for under $100!
    This will do what you want but you would still need a suitable power supply and leads.
    Provided all the batteries have the same cell count (and preferably the same capacity) you can use this sort of thing to charge multiple packs but you have to keep within the limit of the charger so it will take almost as long as charging them individually!

6. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

You will still need a decent 20+ amp power supply and the correct connector/leads to your lipo"s

Bottom line. ..if you don't already have the power supply, that will be about another 100 bux on top of the cost of the charger.

I have this charger and it works excellent for me at home or in the field.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  9. chris_tall

chris_tall Top Gun

10. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

If you have an old PC-PSU with active PFC you can use it as an 12 PSU, this way you wouldn't have to buy one.
    I'm doing it this way and my good old Enermax PC-PSU gives me enough power to run 2 x 16 amp / 180 Watt charger at the same time ;)

kjdubuque and homey666 like this.
  11. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Exactly what I use. And you can get cheapos on ebay as well. Just got one for $8.

Homey

12. Funnyfoot

Funnyfoot Airman

I know I will sound like a nooby, but, what is the power supply required for? Why is it not already part of the charger?

13. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Some come with power supplies built in or external, some don't. Some also can be ac or dc powered or both. Read the fine print! I bought one that didn't come with a power supply or any discharge connectors!

Homey

14. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

the 4 port chargers do not come with a power supply as stated above...there is one out there that does but it is mega money..so you either need to hook it up to a power supply or a car battery....

i own a power supply i bought and i've now built my own....

i've done this... $22 in parts...runs any charger i've ever owned including a 4 port...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1882529&highlight=57+amp

kjdubuque likes this.
  15. Funnyfoot

Funnyfoot Airman

So, you don't just use the wall as a power supply? I'm confused

16. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

quick overview for you..

chargers that do one lipo at a time can be either...a wall plug or a 12v direct source....you have to read the description..if it says AC/DC Then it plugs into a wall...

but a lot of chargers for lipos are DC only..so car battery or power supply you plug into a wall and then puts out 12v...reason? a D/C only charger usually can do a higher amp charger than a a/c one...they are mostly limited to 5-6 amps...some D/C chargers can do 50 amps! yeah...

examples..

this one is AC/DC - says it in the description...most a/c chargers will only do 5 to 6 amps max...

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__76462__IMAX_B6_AC_DC_Charger_5A_50W_With_US_Plug_Copy_.html

now here is essentially the same charger....but D/C only...and less $$ (no onboard plug in supply)

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__76461__IMAX_B6_DC_Charger_5A_50W_Copy_.html

now here is a 4 port charger...it does not have any onboard power supply...it needs a car battery or a plug in supply that converts to 12v...

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11170__Turnigy_4x6S_Lithium_Polymer_Battery_Pack_Charger.html

and here is a power supply that would run that 4 port charger...as long as you didn't do more than 4 amps per battery..you would be fine...

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...r_Pro_240W_16A_Power_Supply_100_240V_AC_.html

or as i posted above you can build your own power supply for half price...

now if you want a 4 port charger you can plug into a wall...you have more expensive choices like this...

hope that helps a bit....

your other choice is a good single port charger and a balance board but then you have to charge the same number of cell lipos at the same time..can't be different cell counts...

hit me up with questions anytime!

Dan

homey666 likes this.
  17. CRMERC

CRMERC Ace Pilot

18. kjdubuque

kjdubuque Ace Pilot

Based on my charger experience, get more charger than you currently need right now. I did the same thing when I was starting out, got a charger that just covered my needs, 3s 800mAh. I wasn't planning on flying anything that needed "large" batteries.

Eventually, I wanted a larger aircraft, of course that used larger batteries, so I got another charger. Then I decided I wanted so fly more so I investigated parallel charging and realized I didn't have enough charger for it. I finally purchased a charger that well exceeded what I needed and have been using it for years.

I've upgraded my helicopter power to 6s, still use the same charger. Got a quad that uses 4s, still use the same charger. Got into these crazy awesome foam park jets and fly more than ever before. Now when I want to fly, I can parallel 6 batteries in about 20 min. Just enough time to get everything ready for the field.

If you decide to get a 12V charger, converting a server or PC power supply is really easy and inexpensive. As others have mentioned. This thread has so many different conversions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

19. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

This charger will give you for 3s 4 amp per channel and for 4s 3 amp per channel, if you wanna use a parallelboard to charge more than one lipo per channel thats low and you can only charge lipos and NiMh packs. I love the multiple functions of my 2 x SkyRC RS 16 (labled as voltcraft RS16 with 3 years warranty) what you can find at a lot of other chargers too. SkyRC is the biggest manufacturer and most brands have these chargers under their own label in their program. The good thing is that I can charge really every battery incl. my radiobatterypacks, scooter, bike and carbattery and can controled discharge, see the voltage of every cell and measure the real capacity while discharging.
    I bought two of these nice powerfull chargers with a max of 16 amps/180w each, the price was 90,-€ for both. They are DC chargers so you can use them at the field too and my AC/DC PSU is an old modded switched PC PSU with 33 amp at the 12v rail, active PFC, fancontrol and the cables I need are selfmade ;)

20. Funnyfoot

Funnyfoot Airman