Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

YF-23 Black Widow II

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by RCPowers, May 22, 2009.

1. YF-23 EasyBuild ParkJet
    "The Easiest Easybuild EVER!"

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xp_gnsG0fM"]YouTube- RCPowers YF-23 Easybuild R/C[/ame]

Scale: 1/20
    Length: 34" (86.3 cm)
    Wing Span: 19" (48.3 cm)
    Weight: 9-14 oz (255-400 g)
    Minimum Required Channels: 3

About the YF-23
    One of our first EasyBuild models, the YF-23 is an excellent combination of simplicity and flight performance. Not one of the models you would spend countless hours building, but it will still turn heads at the field. Large ailerons and intelligently placed elevator give the YF-23 excellent control through the entire flight envelope, even at high angles of attack. This, combined with its power system versatility and short build time is sure to make this one a hit at any airfield.

Recommendations
    - If you want more speed just add one of Grayson Hobby's higher performance motors like the SuperSonic and the Megajet. Don't forget to get a bigger battery, too!
    - With the Microjet pushing it around, you have a very low wing loading to easily fly in areas as small as a minor league softball field!
    - Go easy on your elevator control, this thing is very sensitive on pitch thanks to its thrust vectoring. Get it high and gun the throttle while pulling full back, WOW!
    - Since your running the MicroJet buying more 2-cell batteries is very affordable! The average run time is about 10 minutes.
    - If you don't like cutting out the foam yourself, you can buy the pre-cut YF-23 kit
    here.

YF-23 EasyBuild

How to use
    PDF Plans.
    Learn more about Power Systems.

HOME

If you have any questions please post them in the comments below. I'm subscribed to this thread and will answer you right away. :)

~ Scott Lott
  2. YF-23 Build Instructions
    1) Find and Glue together the two fuselage pieces and the two wings_____________
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2) Cut a slit across the wings. Measure and cut your 6mmx1mm carbon fiber spar to length, put the extra to the side for now.
    _____________[​IMG][​IMG]

3) Find the three control surfaces and the two vertical stabilisers, 45 the edges of all of them as shown and hinge tape the control surfaces into place as shown.

4) Cut and measure two lengths of 6mmx1mm carbon fiber spar and glue them to the leading edge of your vertical stabilisers

5) Glue the stabilisers into place. DO NOT TAPE THEM ON LIKE CONTROL SURFACES. You want them to be solid and not have the ability to move around a whole lot. The angle that they are MUST BE higher than 45 degrees. If you put them below 45 degrees you WILL have stability problems with the model.

6) Find the vertical center nose piece and glue it in place.
    _____________[​IMG]

7) Find the two vertical side nose pieces and glue them in place.
    _____________[​IMG]

8) Find the two fuselage side pieces and glue them in place.

9) Glue your control horns in as shown here.
    _____________[​IMG]

10) Here is a set of pictures to show you how to assemble the break away motor mount. You need a standard motor mount and 2 toothpicks, cut them in half and glue them into the motor mount, then glue the motor mount as you would normally.
    _____________[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11) Study this picture closely, this is how I set up the servos and control rods through out the airplane. DO NOT put the elevator servo behind the prop wash, you want it infront of the prop as shown.
    _____________[​IMG]

As a couple final notes, you want the control throws to be pretty high to give yourself plenty of control authority. Expos at 50% are a good idea to keep things smooth. Also, make sure you strap down all your wires real good, putting them right infront of the prop wash can be dangerous if you don't. As far as power systems go, I have tested (succesfully) and found, with the microjet motor you can get a floaty, easy to fly, relatively slow plane with a 1000 mah 2-cell. If you want it to go faster with better speed and a more scale handling, put a 1500 mah 3-cell on it. If your really feeling like some fun, you can put a standard grayson parkjet motor on the plane with a 2200 mah 3-cell and have a blast.
  3. Dredogol

Dredogol M0DERATOR - (aka "Dred")

Hey SCOTT, great job on the YF-23 man!
    Great success, and we got a PDF of it! =D
  4. Just a note to all forum users, these PDF product threads are intended to allow the community to get involved with our PDF plans directly. Any questions, comments, pictures of your own creation of this particular model or related media to this PDF are welcome and wanted. Thanks!

-Dave Powers and Scott Lott
  5. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Rookie

Man, I wish somebody would produce an EDF version of the YF-23... it's one of my favorite planes.

I might have to throw this one together though :)
  6. Sonicjet

Sonicjet Rookie

Oh verrry nice, scott,good job.
  7. Binome909

Binome909 Rookie

Hi Scott This will be my second RC Powers aircraft - the first was the MIG29 - very nice - and now this one - If it's OK with you people I'll post my build here along with Photos.

Might even get the plans for the B2 :rolleyes:

With Regards

Martyn
  8. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Absolutely Martyn! Keep the photos in this thread to a minimum though, if you want to make a build log just start a new thread to keep from cramping this one up. Thanks!
  9. Brownish

Brownish Cadet

I guess I'm first! Just finished this beauty today. Easy is not the word for this build. It practically put itself together.

Two things I did differently:I added a half inch to the bottom of the main fuselage for servo clearance. I also used a single servo for the ailerons, now I can fly it with an old 3 channel!
    [​IMG]
  10. digger

digger Rookie

how did you set that up?
  11. Brownish

Brownish Cadet

Double servo arm. 2 control rods run through holes in the fuselages. Make sure you have plenty of prop clearance.

[​IMG]
  12. digger

digger Rookie

Doh

Should of thought of that
  13. viper272

viper272 Rookie

Where should the CG be?

Just built a YF-23 but can't find any information on where the CG should be?

Thanks
  14. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

If you purchased the PDF the CofG is on the plans, its a red circular crosshair. Thanks!
  15. robertd

robertd Rookie

So after my YF-23 sitting in the back of my car with a busted up wing for about 2 or 3 weeks I finally decided to fix it today. repair only took maybe 30 minutes and I was flying in our field in not time. Unfortunately, due to my stupidity I crashed it again and it is sadly.. dead. I crashed it once trying to do a loop but it was a lot wider than i expected so it slammed into the ground breaking the nose back. I fixed that and flew it some more then put it up for a few hours and came back for one more flight before it got dark. I was flying fine doing rolls and buzzing mine and my gparents heads when i decided to try and chain two rolls together but I had gotten in the habit of doing slow exaggerated rolls and it lost altitude while doing it and crashed into the ground. The nose exploded. :|
  16. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Well the nice thing about the easybuild planes is getting another one together only takes a couple hours! Sad to hear you wrecked your plane, but I'm happy your having fun with it!
  17. viper272

viper272 Rookie

C of G

Bought the laser cut depron from Grayson Hobby... But it was not included any information about the plane at all...

So if anyone know where the CG should be I am grateful..

I'm also having stability problems. It seems to roll from side to side without getting any input for doing so... I have put the stabilizers more upright than sideways, more than 45 degrees from the horizontal plane to the stabilizers...

Any tips?

Thanks

18. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

The CofG is 14 inches back from the nose. Thanks, Viper!
  19. maruloko

maruloko Airman

control throws

Hello everybody,

as my RCP YF-23 is about to be finished, i'll be really happy if anyone could indicate me a good starting point for the control throws :)
    I really don't want to crash it at first flight because of overactive controls,
    it makes months (...) i had no time to finish this plane...

thanks for all your awesome work here !

Marc Bahuaud - Montpellier, France
  20. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

The elevator should be as high as you can get it since the plane is so long, the ailerons are fine at a 1/4" throw in either direction. Thanks!