Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Video of connecting Prop to Motor Shaft

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by HardKnock14, Jan 11, 2012.

1. HardKnock14

HardKnock14 Rookie

I am brand new to this hobby and can't figure out how to connect the propeller to the motor shaft. Is there a video or something or can someone explain this to me. I have the F-22 Jet with the stock motor kit.
  2. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

I can't seem to find a vid. There are two main styles - the collet style and the set-screw style. First, make sure you have the right sized adapter for the motor shaft. Apparently, Grayson sent out some prop adapters that were too big for the motors they came with, so double check. With the collet style, take the threaded cone off and slide the collet side onto the shaft. If it's not already a little snug, or at least really close, you've got issues. Place your prop (with the correct shaft adapter installed) onto the prop adapter's threaded shaft. Screw on the cone and tighten it down with an allen wrench through the hole (or some other small, hardened tool). With the set-screw type, you just slip the adapter over the shaft and tighten the screw. Not much to it. Mount the prop same as previously described.
  3. HardKnock14

HardKnock14 Rookie

I guess I have problems then because they are not tight at all. I could squeeze it closed but will not get tight enough. Is there anyway to fix this proplem? I see the set screw style will be much better already. So what I would need to do with my style is put the collet over the shaft and squeeze tight right?
  4. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Did you get your combo from Grayson? They sent out some over-sized adapters with motors recently. Might want to give them a call. I got my SSV2 months ago, and the prop adapter (collet style) fits perfectly.
  5. HardKnock14

HardKnock14 Rookie

Yes I did get it from Grayson around mid Dec. I got two kits and both are the same. I might drill a hole in the collet and put a set screw through it. If I squeeze it as tight as I can and then glue it would that work?
  6. squishy

squishy Top Gun

7. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

You can't "just" tap a hole. There's a collar that tightens the collet as the cone is tightened. It sounds like you got an over-sized prop adapter. It just won't work. If you did tap a hole, it would push the shaft to the far side of the hole, and then the whole thing would be off-center. Off-center = imbalanced = vibration at speed = short motor life (really short!). Not a good idea. I got a few at RCTimer for $1 each, so they're not a bank-breaker. Jsut measure your shaft (3mm, 3.17mm, 3.5mm, 4mm are common sizes) and order new ones. Then get Grayson to ship you the proper one. It'll go quicker that way.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I did this video a few months ago. Too bad it doesn't show up in your search
  9. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

I'm pretty sure it was my search words. "Prop adapter" just didn't get much.
  10. jbelokur

jbelokur Cadet

I was one of those folks who got sent a large prop adapter, grayson said they had a batch that was improperly milled. Oh well their sending me a new one. It sure had me baffled for and hour or so.