Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Thunder AC6 Charger

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by chris1956, Jan 20, 2010.

1. chris1956

chris1956 Rookie

I recently bought the thunder ac6 charger for my rc batteries,on the video's i have seen it says it has a Auto function for charging Baterries,but when i connect my bateries to the charger as described in the manuall the Auto funtion does not come up,can any body please help and tell me how i can get this function to work. Many Thanks Chris.:mad:
  2. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

i would never auto function it..i've never used it on mine...I set it for the specific pack and the amperage i want it to charge it for.....much more efficient and safer...
  3. cheeto_rc

cheeto_rc Cadet

Hey i was wondering how you determine the amps that you want to charge/balance at for a lipo? Im new to lipos (only had a wildhawk) but now i have a SkyCharger B6AC, and the only lipo i currently have is the Grayson Hobby 3S1P (what does the 1P stand for on some lipos?) 1500mah 20c (came with the MJV3 combo) although i have also ordered 2 Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo, a Rhino 1050mah 2S 7.4v 20C Lipoly Pack, and a Battery Monitor 2-6S. Sorry about the noob questions, but i appreciate the advice!
  4. mountaingamer

mountaingamer Cadet

Hey Dan, Im in the same boat as Cheeto,,,,,,,,,,,Right now Im charging a 1500mah 3cell 20c with my AC6 at 2.0A on a balance charge which was the default - why change the amps? or what amp setting do you use?
  5. kaptondave

kaptondave Rookie

Automatic chargers are the safest way to charge Lipos. Do not use Manual unless you know what you are doing.

Did a manual come with this charger, or can you download one from the manufacturer's web site? Get the manual and read it. I am sure there is a way to get to the auto mode. On my Turnigy charger, which is similar, I push the Type button to select Lipo and then push the > Status button to choose the mode. When the mode is in Auto I hold down the Start button for a couple of seconds until the charge cycle begins.
  6. 1500mah battery should charge at 1.5a. 2200mah at 2.2. see the pattern?
  7. JettaManDan

mountiangamer...

exactly what jetflyer said..for most lipo's you change the amps to match the capacity of the battery... each 1000mah is a 1 amp amount of charge rate..

so.. examples...

1500mah can be charged at 1.5 amps
    1800mah can be charged at 1.8 amps
    2200mah can be charged at 2.2 amps..

you said your 1500 was charging at 2 amps? that is too much..you risk frying the battery..haveing a cell puff or even a fire..unless the battery can be charged faster (known as "C" rating" ) the rule of thumb is 1 to 1..1 amp per 1000mah...

newer batteries can be charged at a higher C rating..i have lipo's from nanio-tech and gen-ace..they are rated at "5C" - so...a 1000mah pack can be charged at 5amps...and you cut down your charging time to 1/5th of A 1C pack..BUT....THESE ARE SPECIAL packs...so you need to check your pack..if it says nothing about "C" rating then assume it is a 1C and charge accordingly...and with the AC6 I always Balance charge..keeps my packs healthy and in good shape..

hope that helps..

Dan
  8. mountaingamer

mountaingamer Cadet

Nooooo!!!! My first Thunder ac6 charger had a bad display - sent it back to rcpartz - got it back about 2 weeks ago and finally was able to use it again today. I charged 3 batteries in a row no problem (2-1500mah and 1-2200mah) and matched the amps to the batteries (1.5 & 2.2) balance charged...all good. I flew all 3 batteries, and about a hour later, started charging again. The two 1500mah charged fine in about a hour, hooked up the 2200mah and walked away for 5 minutes. I came back and the charger was off! The battery was cold, charger felt a little warm, but would not turn back on. I'm letting it sit and maybe cool down....suggestions?

Well it looks like it works with dc but ac power nothing:(
  9. Got the Thunder AC6 Monitor PC program working

I had the hardest time getting the software from the hobbypartz site to work, but finally did. That I did was go into Control Panel and looked in the device manager to see what port the device driver was using for the USB link. In my case it was COM 4. There is a drop down to select what port you need in the program, just to the right of a button that says "Connect" The problem is, this drop drop down doesn't work, but I was able to type COM 4 into the field. Try typing your COM port into the field and it might work. :)

You will need to get the driver from Silicon Labs. Try looking for CP210x_VCP_ .
  10. JettaManDan

that sucks..my AC6 worked great..till i dropped it hard on the floor by accident :-/ my display doesn't work now anymore....but was my fault....i bought a 680 after that and it works awesome....
  11. Redshirt

Redshirt Cadet

I just went through the learning curve with the Thunder AC6.

The recommended amps (1500mah @ 1.5 amps) is MAX charge. For safety sake and battery longevity, Im told that 60% of that max is a good point to charge from. So, .8 amps -ish). This will make for longer charges, but much less likely to damage the battery.
    Also, use the Balance feature, as I am told. I have a Battery Checker coming in the mail so I can test in the field and bench before putting a battery on the charger.
    The software (NOT INCLUDED) was a bear to get to work, but I tracked down the files with a google search.

The manual is dense and the useful info is buried in there, but BOY HOWDY could it be better.
    I had to cut one of the sets of wires to accommodate Deans connectors (since I had every other connector but that one). I just soldered on a male deans I had laying around. You can buy them, but really it should have come with it.