Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

The best edf ARF for under $200

Discussion in 'RTF / ARF Helis & Planes' started by colorc, Nov 30, 2011.

1. colorc

colorc Airman

hey everyone. i have been having loads of fun with the prop planes, both pusher and puller, but have been getting this urge to fly a sweet edf. i have looked everywhere at different planes and when i find one that would be a good plane for a intermediate flyer i run into forums that say the plane is a big disappointment or needs alot of mods to fly well. i am not talking about where the plane has no rudder so you need to cut one out and put on a servo, but more like power systems or the plane is just unstable overall. i want a plane that can be hand launched if needed and can go vertical with plenty of power. i almost bought the f16 64mm with thrust vectoring from banana hobby, but backed out because of the forums on rcgroups going through how the plane is good but but will need another 150 spent to make it fly with 1:1 thrust or else its full throttle all the time to keep it flying. most of their recommendation is to change to a 70mm edf. the dynam f16 was a consideration, but it seemed to not have the 1:1 thrust that i want. i would like a fighter type plane that is powered by 64 or 70mm edf, but am not picky. i also would like to keep the power source at 11.1v because that is what most of my packs are, but going to 14.8 is ok i could string together my two 7.4v and pick up another for 20 bucks.

tell me your experiences with 64mm or 70 mm edf and what plane turned out to be a winner.
  2. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Ace Pilot

What kind of pilot are you? (beginner, intermediate,etc.) and do you like to build them out of foam to learn?
  3. Not many stock edfs can go vertical straight out of the box with a 3s setup. The exceed jets can, but they have 4s'...

I've heard nothing but good things about the habu http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/habu-edf-pnp-PKZ7075
    Plenty of thrust and good quality (And just under $200 :))

You also may want to consider getting a cheap 70mm airframe and throwing this bad boy in it http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...70_Brushless_Power_System_2800kv_45A_ESC.html
    This thing pushes my 37oz. f-16 vertical! It's a great package for minimum price and out-performs most stock edf systems.

That's my input :p.... Do your homework and make the best decision possible that fits your needs :thumb:
  4. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

i'm very happy with the mini 50mm jets from Banana hobby - for like $70 you get a really good airplane that uses small 1000mah 3s packs...light weight...fast...and fits in any car ..i have the F-16 and F-18 and they both fly great...
  5. Those are great, but a little twitchy as you know. Expo tames them but maybe not the best for an "Intermediate flyer"?

I totaled my f-18 ):< One of the 'tight-tight-loose' connections came loose on the aileron in flight. Pulling up just sent it into a spiraling death.. It was a sight to see though :D
  6. Grey

Grey Ace Pilot

The SkyAngel ones from Hobbyking are quite nice (the ones I've flown anyway). My favourite is the F-18.

Skyangel Mini F-8 Crusader.
    Skyangel mini F-18.
    Skyangel Mini F-22.

I know they are 50mm EDF which is smaller than you asked for but these three I have flown and they are quite nice. The F-18 is definately my favourite to fly. Much better performance at slower speeds.

They all run a 4x4 setup off of 2 servos so are a little "basic" as far as a lot of guys are concerned but they are a lot of fun.

I thought that, even being being smaller, they were going to be underpowered on a 50mm EDF and an 800mAh 3s. Heh, nope.

Flying starts at about 3 mins.

And at $59-$69 + freight you can go ahead and buy yourself two or 3 for your $200 ;)

Oh, and if you watch the entire video they have concerns about the battery not fitting the F-18, the Turnigy 800mAh 3s batteries fit perfectly.

These planes all come with banana connectors to the ESC, make sure you pick up plugs to match the batteries or swap them all to Deans/XT60 etc.
  7. colorc

colorc Airman

i consider myself a intermediate pilot. ive flown for the past year. most of which are slow and fast park fliers. i can do a few 3d maneuvers, high alpha, land in gusty winds. i havent crashed a plane since march of this year until yesterday when my foam extra 300 striped out a servo in the aileron, but managed to land the plane with only the rudder being damaged. i have been able to figure out what needs adjusted if a plane is flying weird, be cg, motor alignment, tweaked airfoil.
    my flying style is that i always like to push planes to the limit. thats why the edf i buy has to have a 1:1 thrust ratio. reading the forums, i am confused if when they say a certain jet is horrible, does it mean the design makes no fun to fly or is it just a newbie thinking he can get into a edf after playing around on a simulator. i did not realize that most of the arf are underpowered. i also didnt realize that the cheap edf power systems would work just as well as the expensive one. i saw the edf units on grayson running 100 bucks for a 70mm and thats why i begin looking at arf. those videos from banana hobby can be deceiving. the 64mm f16 5ch i almost got looked like exactly what i wanted a edf jet to do after watching the video. i know that the guy is probably a expert pilot, but it looked like it had loads of power to do verticals. then i started reading about it being way underpowered and some saying its to difficult to fly because of bad designs in the airfoil. i wasnt to keen on having to spend another 150 to give it enough power and have it flying good as one guy posted
    which f16 airframe did you buy rcjet? 40oz is about the size i want. i am still open for suggestions on a good arf or a kit that would keep cost under 200. i already have servos, receiver, hardware, and 30, 40, 60 amp hobbywing esc for a kit plane.
  8. colorc

colorc Airman

wow grey, that thing moves. looks faster than anything i have ever flown. ive always done puller and pusher props planes. i am wanting to get good a flying fast though which is partly driving my urge to move up to edf. i know prop planes will get going just as fast, but the edf just seems like fun right now. i feel the same rcjet about it being too twitchy with the smaller planes. i really enjoy the size that the rcp v2 planes are. i cant really explain why.
  9. squishy

squishy Top Gun

I would go with the habu or if you are a scratch builder like me just take one of the RCpowers parkjets (v1) and put that 70mm EDF kit in from grayson...I have been eyeing that thing...but I do prefer prop jets...EDF's are nothing but drawbacks, there is no benefit to flying them...

I would love to go the other way around...find a cheap EDF airframe and put a big parkjet motor on the rear end...over power the crap out of it and see what it'll do...now that sounds fun...
  10. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Ace Pilot

There are basically 2 ways to go with jets.

For speed and thrust, pick a model with 70 size and 4S with the batteries. For ease on the wallet, 55's or 64's with 3 s will get you going and get you experience flying jets. For instance, power needs to be up in turns, you need some power on in landings and they will be faster in landing speed. Thrust vectoring is a whole new way of flying. And the one bad factor is you get only 3-4.5 min of flight.

My suggestion is to watch plenty of youtube videos of the "average guy" flying and sort out what model will best be for you.
  11. colorc

colorc Airman

good point. maybe i will stick with the 64mm planes for now. i think i am either going to get the exceed RC or this one from BH http://www.bananahobby.com/1902.html. the exceed is 40 bucks as a kit and i will stuff all my own electronics and motor in it.
  12. The F-16 airframe I got was this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14877__Fighter_R_C_Jet_Grey_EPO_KIT_.html
    I actually got a rtf package from ebay :bleh: but it's the same airframe. 100% stock I found that the elevators were too small for my liking so I had to double the size. The stock 3s 70mm fan kept it in the air fine and gave it good speed but I wanted a bit more so I upgraded to that 4s fan I mentioned earlier.
    The landing gear are awful.. Don't even bother with them.
    But once you get it tuned to your liking it's a great flier. It runs a 4x4 setup with only 2 9g servos just like those 50mm which I like.

But honestly I wouldn't recommend it. It takes some serious mods to get it flying great and the foam is... very weird should I say? It's almost like epp but has more strength. And the beads in the foam are way bigger compared to epo so the paint honestly doesn't look that good. But I like mine because it flies good- not because it looks good (because it definitely doesn't!)
  13. colorc

colorc Airman

thank you everyone for your help. i decided to stick with the 70mm edf and bought a phase 3 f16 for $130 http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/phase-3-ef-16-edf-r-c-w-fan-brushless-motor-and-esc.html.
    i saw alot of good reviews of the plan and watched some youtube of "average guys" flying the plane in stock form it runs on 3s and can easily be upgraded to handle speeds in excess of 100mph if you want to dump the money for a great power system. i think i am going to mod a rudder onto it and should be good. its also designed to be a belly lander, so thats another plus for what i want.
  14. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Ace Pilot

Welcome to the world of EDF's. Adding a rudder is a real smart idea.
  15. lowkeylaidback

lowkeylaidback Cadet

Sorry to be late to the thread, but for that same money you can get a Dynam meteor (130), Grayson carries them.
    70mm, uses anything from a 4s 2650 to a 4000mAH battery, likes at least 30 c's, can be flown with or without the landing gear, ESC is in the duct so it stays cool. Handles very nicely in the air.
    Upgrade to 5s without changing the ESC and you have a park rocket and there is a very long support thread for this jet on RCGroups
    Here is how much I like it, if Grayson Hobbies keeps supporting the jet by keeping parts around, I will spend some
    money with him and that is saying alot.
    Out of the 7 EDf's in my hanger, this is the best, the must go in the truck jet, the only EDF I like better then my LX-F22, as a matter of fact I purchased the motor kit for the Meteor to go in my F-22 and it works nice!!!
  16. lowkeylaidback

lowkeylaidback Cadet

Hey, Coloc, forgot to share this with you, this site has some nice things for your new jet, some real protection for that soft underbelly, I use his parts for my souped up Phase 3 Squall, look about 5 rows of pictures down.

http://morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_004.htm

I think you will like what you see.
  17. colorc

colorc Airman

wow. thanks lowkey. that website is awsome. i already ordered the ventral fins and front skid plate. i already have it all together ready to maiden tomorrow and the thought came to me about the ventral fins not being there, but i dismissed it as something not necessary on a rc plane. i have also been reinforcing the belly with packing tape because i was almost certain the first landing would be rough. i may just skip that and wait for the belly pan reinforcements to come in. although i wonder if with the ventral fins on, will the plane skid to a stop or hook into the ground.
    the plane is pretty sweet and i am very pleased with how well the kit went together. one of the elevons was tweaked at the mount on the plane, but it only took removing it, boring the foam a little and epoxying it back in. i went ahead and did it on the other side because it was pretty easy to just pull it out. it made the control surfaces feel much better. no more play in it. weight came in at 19 ounces with my 1800 nano tech 30c battery. i am still working on the rudder. i think i will have to put the servo in the battery compartment and run flex cable.
    the meteor looks nice. maybe for my next one i will give that a shot if the whole edf thing gets me excited enough. thanks.
  18. lowkeylaidback

lowkeylaidback Cadet

Four people I fly with have this model and none have done a rudder mod and after asking them all, none plan to, the two speed demons use the tailerons and other parts from Morganhill and the other two "just fly guys" are flying stock with no plans to mod anything, all like the jet.
  19. colorc

colorc Airman

finally got a maiden today. the past week has just been a non stop windstorm. the plane is just awsome. i love the speed and the flight characteristics of this plane. i went without the ventral fins and noticed the tail would wag a little through the long slow turns. it was very stable and never made me drop a brick. the motor is powerful enough to blast it around the field, but its not powerful enough to be a high alpha king. landings are just spectacular. come in with a little up elevator drop the throttle and it just glides in nice and smooth. the rolls are kinda slow, but i just have to change the way i fly it and stick to keeping it fast and tight. even at 1/3 throttle it still cruised no problem. i am hooked on the edf's and will begin playing with them more in the future. i will get some video loaded tomorrow.
  20. lowkeylaidback

lowkeylaidback Cadet

Nice to hear!!!!!