THE ALPHA JET MK2 -FRCFoamies

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by F1wanabe, Jan 6, 2014.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

THE FRCFOAMIES ALPHA JET MK2!

orange_buynow.png

db2f7ed7803dfb0c5533abfcfe5f985d.jpg
    Alpha Ble 1.jpg

The Alpha Jet MK2 is stronger, easier to build, more stable- It's got more of everything that made the Alpha Jet MK1 so good! We spent months working on the Alpha Jet MK2
    and we are extremely happy with the results!

We took every aspect of the Alpha Jet and optimized it:

• Quicker and stronger build.
      • Smoother loops.
      • More stable high alpha.
      • Hands off inverted flying.
      • We removed wing rock!
      • Great performance from 2s or 3s Power- it accommodates a 7 inch prop!
    The Alpha Jet MK2 really wants to Hover! Whether you choose to activate rudders or not, you will be amazed
    by how eager it is to hover.

To make it easier to customize your Alpha Jet, we have also included spray paint templates to the download. Just cut them out, spray tac them on and spray on the paint.

To help you with the build, check out the Alpha Jet mk1 build video. The builds are almost identical:
    FRCFoamies Alpha Jet Build Video:

We've asked a few of our buddies to beta test and video their Alpha Jet MK2's. They'll be posting videos shortly. Thank you to: JettaManDan, FED5OH, AsSoulsDream, Father&Sons and NEWT for their help in Beta Testing the Alpha Jet MK2.

Finally, thank you to Dave and Scott for allowing us the use of their forum to bring our FRCFoamie planes to you. We appreciate your help, Dave and Scott!

BIG THANKS TO JETTAMANDAN FOR THE BUILD PICS!
    Ok guys...here are some build pics...and my mistakes!

main plate and my biggest mistake! I put the servos and control rods too far inboard...result? the rudders hit my control rods....so i had to notch them on the bottom to clear....PUT YOUR SERVOS OUTBOARD of the farthest slots.....so yours will clear...
    [​IMG]

here is where they are supposed to be..or somewhere in this area or anyplace else that clears the rudders! lol!
    [​IMG]

my servos in...WRONG PLACE! LOL
    [​IMG]

Nose support in...great guide for the sides and making the nose stiff!
    [​IMG]

motor mount test fitted...and then glued
    [​IMG]

because i used a 450 zoom i felt as if i needed more strength for the motor mount..so i boxed it in a bunch..added connector pieces and thicker "walls"..in essence i made it a solid motor mount and no flow through on the legs....i probably decreased the airflow to the prop..but it was good in flight..you can see the boxing in here with the zoom on...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

electronics laid out....all fits easily...
    [​IMG]

I decided to deviate from the plans here as well and added stiffening BBQ skewers...i build my planes heavy..and wanted more suport for the nose....so i ran them along the nose creases and then back parallel to the prop slot...i then added some into the motor mount sides and tied it all in with hot glue....when i picked up the main plate before this it was a bit floppy..afterward it was stiff...so your choice to do this or not..mine would be at least an ounce or 2 lighter without this...not needed for a normal build for sure..but i thought it would be helpful for my higher stress power setup.
    [​IMG]

top plate started...rudder servo in and the wire and extension run...
    [​IMG]

trial fit of the top plate..and WHOOPS! Rudders hit..DOH! Notched them on the bottom and all good...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

final fit of the top plate checked...nose glued...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then done!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

notches evident lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All hot glue with mine.....3 metal gear servo's...40 amp ESC...7X4......power up zoom 450.....all depron...came out at 17 oz's no lipo.....

hope that helps!

Dan

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Look at the pictures, Wow! Such a stylish creation! Where is the mother ship for this babe:rolleyes::p

RCJohnnyB, RobDavis and FatherAndSons like this.
  3. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

Videos!

Maiden!

and then 2 of them ripping it up!

4. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

and some pics!

in flight!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [

5. HSV_Freak

HSV_Freak Cadet

Buyed and i show later the Plan, i go sleeping **g**

Boxermad84 likes this.
  6. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

You guys rock. I have purchased, downloaded and now have to wait to print them out! Hmm wonder what I'll be building this weekend?!?!? ;)

RobDavis and Boxermad84 like this.
  7. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

Big thanks to Greg for bailing me out..i had no depron and the time frame to get more was too much!..he was grascious enough to cut one of these for me and paint it in the scheme I wanted. It looks AWESOME!! THANK YOU GREG!

Ok..now that it is official....if you liked the MK1..the MK2 is 100% better in every way! I expected to like it..but i'm literally amazed at the differences in flight. NO WING ROCK at all now...insane stability. Crisp manuvers.....just EVERYTHING from the MK1 has been improved. The new front stiffefener and nose design makes building this SIMPLE and stronger by a ton. The flow through channel is bigger and allows the rudders to work and work WELL. The plane is strong and really well thought out. Am i just saying this casue these guys are my buds? HELL NO! Chip (FED50H) was there and he can attest to my reaction. His MK2 came out a little small due to a printing error by Staples....but even at 80% his flew amazing showing you can size up or down these plans and it still is a great design.

his and mine together..

[​IMG]

My setup is a 450 zoom with a heavily reinforced motor mount....40 amp ESC......7X4 Prop..and using a 1300mah 3S pack. The plane balanced on the CoG perfect and as you can see flew great right from the word GO. My setup gives excess power....it can be flown on a number of setups easily.

i'll post some build pics after a few more people check this out....get the plans...build it! You will LOVE IT!

Dan

RCJohnnyB, RCUrso, RobDavis and 5 others like this.
  8. Here's a couple of my flight videos with a 450zoom, 40amp hurc esc and a 1300 50c 3s

cuz there's no tooling around, full stick and full throws all the way and always on 4s!

9. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

This looks like the perfect trainer. Such a smooth flight at low speed, no wing rock, awesome high alpha. I can't wait to build it.... I built the v1 but have yet to fly it - it might be retired before it even gets off the ground!

F1wanabe likes this.
  10. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

The V1 is no slouch...it is a great plane as well..worth flying....but then you fly the MK2 and.... ;)

11. You will love them both s7oneyuk, I say use ur mk1 for day flying and the mk2 for LED's and night flying since the days are so short in the winter months

cuz there's no tooling around, full stick and full throws all the way and always on 4s!

RobDavis and s7oneyuk like this.
  12. s7oneyuk

s7oneyuk Airman

It's times like this when I wish the home printer had some ink left in it!

RobDavis and F1wanabe like this.
  13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

The v1 was like a bull in a China shop - all out crazy performance. The mk2 is like a jaguar in a China shop. Finesse! Speed, agility! It'll still break stuff but it's graceful at least! Haha!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

FatherAndSons, Airflow and ASD like this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Thanks guys! Dan, thanks for the detailed description. The pictures are amazing! Glad you like the mk2 since I know the mk1 was not your favorite. Also thanks for photographing your build! A lot of guys will appreciate those pics!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

RobDavis likes this.
  15. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

not true..i did like the MK1 a lot..my problem was my build...the DT foam i used made it super heavy and then fragile at the same time...if it had been all depron it would have been much better and lighter....so it was all my fault! After tweaks it became one of my regular and favorite flyers....but...the MK2 blows it away!!

RobDavis likes this.
  16. FED50H

FED50H Top Gun

This was my maiden flight. No paint. It flies awesome. It wasn't till ours was side by side that Dan noticed the difference in size. My first thought was his was incorrect. Mine flies awesomely.

Airflow and RobDavis like this.
  17. FED50H

FED50H Top Gun

IMG_4008.jpg IMG_4066.jpg IMG_4052.jpg IMG_4073.jpg IMG_4029.jpg IMG_4021.jpg

Thanks for the awesome pics JMD.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  18. FED50H

FED50H Top Gun

This was my 4th or 5th flight. After a failed launch attempt, I had to tape the verticals back on. I wanted to redeem myself for the crappy launch. I did not think about the torque roll and did not have enough throttle. A little tape and this baby was ready go. Inverted is so smoooooooth............

19. FED50H

FED50H Top Gun

Admission to make....I just looked at the pics of our planes side by side again....My freaking elevons are reversed....Duh. Man, I really did an outstanding job. Maybe I should see if Staples is hiring. They give me the wrong size, I failed to check it (never again) and then I build it all wonky. Oh well. I have a second set of plans (still the smaller size). If I build another I will put the elevons on correctly...but keep it the same size. Still a hovering, inverted, eye catching beast of a plane. Huge flight envelope, it flies even if you screw up the build:rolleyes:

MacLarry, RobDavis and ASD like this.
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Hi! :)

In the workshop right now Mk2, just started:)
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes:

RCUrso, MacLarry, RobDavis and 6 others like this.