Slow flying ultra stable pusher trainer scratch build plane?

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by Zander46, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Zander46

Zander46 Rookie

I'm trying to get my girlfriend into RC planes, so I don't want to build her a jet which she'll just end up crashing straight away and get disheartened. Does anyone have any suggestions on a plane that fits the description in the title? preferable made from 6mm depron, with 2200KV motor and 6X4 prop (maybe i will need to get a less powerful motor and slower prop?) Any help would be Greatly appreciated! I've been searching the forums for the last hour and can't really find what i'm after.

This has been the best i can find. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174874

Thanks!

2. squishy

squishy Top Gun

just get her a bixler...

3. Grey

Grey Ace Pilot

IMO you hit the nail on the head for a scratchbuilt. Here's mine (the bomber version).

A testament to it's ease of flying;

That's a friend of mine on his second battery.

The plane is better built out of 9mm EPP than Depron though. Mine's depron but my friends have broken it more than once on a hard landing.

Mine is overpowered compared to the setup recommended in the RCGroups. Loves the wind and rudder rolls quite well ;).

The main issue people have is with them being tail heavy because of the long control rods on them. I just have my battery way out on the nose and it does fine though.

4. squishy

squishy Top Gun

the baby blue trainer is the old standby for scratch built trainers, but it's not a pusher...mikeys RC FPV would be a good choice...

5. Zander46

Zander46 Rookie

Thanks heaps for your suggestions guys!

I think i might go with the one i found originally, thanks to Grey's input. unfortunately i've only got 6mm depron, so looks like that will have to do :).

What electronics would you suggest for it?
    I've already got a spare 30A ESC and 2200KV motor (From RCTimer) and lots of 9G MG servos. would they work with it? or would they be too heavy/overpowering it?

6. squishy

squishy Top Gun

go with a low kv for a slow flyer...something like a 900-1000 range

7. Grey

Grey Ace Pilot

I'm using;

RCTimer 2204-14 1400kv Outrunner
    RCTimer 10A ESC
    A 6x4 prop and an 800mAh 3s 20C battery.

You might get away with your motor on a 2s, a 3s is going to be too much horsepower IMO. You'll probably have to add weights to get the CG right but it should carry it all no worries.

8. kiwi flyer

kiwi flyer Cadet

I built one these with my son , he has had a lot of fun flying it . after reading about the cog problems some people were having i made the nose section 25mm longer from the wing , it seemed to work ok .
    The battery still needs to be near the front but not right on the nose ,i was worried about the battery getting damaged in any hard landings.

9. Zander46

Zander46 Rookie

Thanks Grey!

Might be a stupid question, but the shaft on that motor looks like it wouldn't attach directly to the props i've got. do you need to buy an adapter or anything to mount the 6x4E props from RCTimer?
    RCTimer 2204-14 1400kv Outrunner

10. ghostrider03z

ghostrider03z Top Gun

Grey's plane looks nice! Also there is mikeys rc fpv v3. its a slow flying bi plane.

11. Grey

Grey Ace Pilot

It uses a "propsaver" instead of a collet adapter. The prop attaches with the bands that come with it. You just put it over one of those black pins, stretch it over the prop and then put it around the other pin. If you want to use a collet adapter you can replace the shaft with a longer one though I've never bothered (RCTimer sells spares for other motors that will do the job).

12. erajomppa

erajomppa Ace Pilot

Im sorry if I dishearten you but I tried the EZ fly bomber and the only thing I got right with it was the painjob.. I found it tailheavy, tooheavy and way fast. it couldnt handle slow speeds at all. I made mine for a friend as a trainer out of 6mm depron and Kfm3 (2 steps on the top). I dont know what went wrong with it but if you are making it out of 6mm depron I cant recommend it. Iv read that it turns out nice with 9mm epp, but the propslot and the tail end up very weak with depron (thinner and more brittle).

If you insist on doing it though, my advice would be no airfoil or just kf2 ( keep it light as possible), cf the joint behind the propslot where the structure is weaker Before you crash it first time. servos and all electronics way way forward, I used super light pullpull strings instead of pushrods and I had to still move servos forward due to veing tailheavy.

and watch out the rudder is super sensitive.

good luck!

13. Zander46

Zander46 Rookie

Thanks for the heads up!

I've committed to the build now, already cut it all out. jst waiting for electronics to arrive. hopefully i'll have better luck by taking your advice.

may i ask what motor/esc/prop/battery you were using?

14. erajomppa

erajomppa Ace Pilot

15. Zander46

Zander46 Rookie

Thanks for that jomppa. My motor is half as heavy as the one you used, so hopefully i'll have more luck :/.

16. Zander46

Zander46 Rookie

The plane minus electronics

photo.jpg

17. erajomppa

erajomppa Ace Pilot

well its actually a 20-30gram eqivalent motor, they just count the heavy heatsinkmotormount to the weight. I got 24gram motor that puts out more or less the same power.

plane is looking good, I just hope you didnt jinx it by painting it before the maiden flight ;)

18. Zander46

Zander46 Rookie

Haha, it's gotta look pretty for the girlfriend! :p