Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

RCPowers Mig-29 V2 Preview

Discussion in 'Everything Scratchbuild (Questions & Chit-Chat)' started by JettaManDan, Apr 22, 2012.

1. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

Hey everyone...a lot of you know that Scott has been working on a V2 version of my favorite plane..the Mig-29. I have 2 of the V1 versions, both prop driven and EDF and they are by far the best planes in my fleet! :D..and one of them ALWAYS comes with me when i go fly. We've asked for a while for Scott and Dave to make a V2 version..but scaling up the plane hadn't been done before. Well thankfully Scott was super kind enough to provide me with rough advanced plans for the new plane! Call me a Beta tester ;) I am hosting a fly-in next weeekend and i desperately begged Scott for plans early enough for me build it and have it flying on the 28th..and he came through!

So to show you how crazy i am for this plane..i got the plans last night around 6pm EST..had them printed out at Staples and back at my house by 8pm..and the whole plane cut out and construction started by 10pm! (Yes i AM A NUT!)

I've now completely finished the plane and am ready for paint and decoration...but due to a nasty rain system hangin over my place..it will just be pics of it in raw depron.

So....1st thoughts.....this plane is a HOME RUN already. I've said before i'm not a huge fan of 3D noses..but i will admit to their ability to make the plane faster and better protect the electronics. And this looks killer too! Even with a 3D nose this plane was super easy to build. I've built the F-22 V2 and this was cake even compared to that. If you take out the vertical fins and the elevons and the Kfm-2 sections...this plane is only like 11 pieces. Scott once again has made a super easy plane to build and it looks fantastic! Now with no instructions to go by i just used what i have done in the past with my F-22 and other Mig-29'S and went from there...with no surprises...so...i'm sure you guys want to see pic right? well here we go...

I'll spare you the blank sheet of foam pics and the plans printed out pics...2 sheets of 40x40 paper at staples cost me all of $4.24...i'm using foam from grayson hobby...6mm white depron...in 27.5 x 39 inch sheets....2 sheets were plenty to do this and the full size plan sheet fits on one sheet of foam...easy and simple..

so..1st pic...all the pieces cut out..you have the main wing sections...the nacell pieces on the left..and the 3D nose pieces...besides control surfaces and KF sections..it's all you got really!

[​IMG]

just like all the other EB planes..1st step is to join the 2 sections of the main wing....parchment paper under the foam is how i don't stick the foam to my daughters Buzz and Woody table i borrowed for this! ;)

[​IMG]

Elevons and 4x4 ailerons hinged and ready to go on....and then taped on partially...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now the super simple nacells....score and fold twice..slot in...glue...done!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sevo install started...just took a full 12 inch length pushrod..attached the control horns..and let the rod dictate where the servo slot would be...did this on my V1 and it worked great...this gives you plenty of room to do a 4x4 setup on just 2 servos (what i'm doing) or add servos later for other setups...for me it keeps the weight of the plane very centrally located...i'm using 2 hobby king 929 metal gear servo's..i've found them to be super quiet..strong...and have never had one fail yet!

[​IMG]

and here is how i ran my 4x4 setup...just bent a shorter pushrod in a "S" shape...and attached it when the plane was still flat on the table and adjusted it all...i know both control surfaces are level this way and will move the way i want..did this on the Pak-Fa V1 i built and it flys great!

[​IMG]

bottom side basicially done..

[​IMG]

now i like to lean towards the side of OVERKILL on my bracing! lol! With a big plane like this i take no chanes...so i ran BBQ Skewers on the wings tied into the side of the pods...flat popsicle sticks on the elevons and in the rear section of the plane to tie both sides in..and one BBQ Skewer through both nacells and glued all the way across. This means i should have no structural issues at all. The Kf sections up top tie in the top side really well..so i'm now sure this is one of the strongest planes i've built. I decided to run the Rx on the bottom and not covered by foam to get the best signal...and it is central to the plane. Makes the top side easy to keep clean and tidy.

[​IMG]

And here is my final electronics layout...tons of room and plenty of places to put stuff!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the finished product!!

[​IMG]

I then added some silver tape to the canopy at the end..

[​IMG]

i'm trying a 2200kv motor from Headsuprc on this...few people have said it slots in between the MJV2 and the MJV3..so we'll see how it works out...i have a 25 amp red brick ESC in it now..but waiting on some 40 amp ESC's..going to use one of those for the 1st flights...just have the 25 amp esc in there for mock-up right now. And of course using a 6x4 APC prop.

The build even without instructions or guidance was super easy..what took the most time was cutting out the parts and waiting for the glue to dry! The 3D nose on this i think is Scott's best work to date...very easy to put together and glue...i used some blue painters tape here and there to hold parts togther while the glue dried.

In all i have NO complaints about this plane at all...dry weight with no electronics is maybe 8-10oz's...i go crazy with hot glue so mine might weigh more. AUW is proably 18-20oz's with an 1800 3s on board max..probably less..and i don't own a small scale...so i'm just guessing. I put a 1800 3s nano tech right under the hatch and the CoG look spot on with no mods....i'm using the V1 version's CoG as a refernce...and this i perfect.

Well..that is about all i got...couple other fellas have the plans and are building thiers...hope they chime in...the weather here is terrible so no painting for me..want to paint it 1st and then get it out for a maiden either this week or for sure at my Fly-in where there will be another of these showing up to compare the 2! We'll put them through their paces for sure and get tons of video of it as well...and will report back with our flight thoughts.

Great job Scott! When the plans are released you will have a winner on your hands for sure! Thanks a TON for setting me up to build and test this baby!!

if anyone has any questions please post away! I'll be checking back on this thread a bunch..now..time for a break! :)

Dan
  2. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Excellent build review Dan, thanks so much for your hard work!
  3. concon32

concon32 Cadet

That looks amazing Dan! Can't wait to see a maiden!
  4. JettaManDan

Thrilled to get the chance to be one of the 1st to build it! It will be wrung out next weekend for sure! And video to follow!

Thanks! As soon as i fly it you guys will know it and see it!
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Yes, great job, Dan, and "you beat me by about that much"! Lol. I agree with everything. This build was really smooth Scott! Like a profile build but the 3 d nose took another 40 min or so. Went together so easy with no instructions! I decide to do the linked aileron and elevons also, and added rudders. Smjv2 and 50 amp esc with 1800 3s comes on at 25 oz unpainted. Was hoping for closer to 20 but not bad considering a strong build and rudders and KF4. I am trying something new. A 6mm top kf and 3mm lower kf. Looking for good slow performance from the 6mm upper kf2and maybe some wind resistance and better speed /roll from the lower 3mm kf. We'll see!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent by my astromech droid using Tapatalk 2
  6. Sweet! Looks just a bit bigger than the v1. Hopefully it'll be as aerobatic as the v1 too. The 4x4 should help on this one (;

Looking forward to seeing it fly!
  7. Ahhh, you beat me to posting F1. Nice and clean build!
  8. FED50H

FED50H Ace Pilot

Seeing it....No way, how bout some sign up sheets to take turns flying them.....:p Fantastic builds guys. Yet another reason to look forward to the 28th. HAha, Dan, one more thing you have to make room for! The Uhaul idea is looking better and better.....

9. FED50H

FED50H Ace Pilot

Thank you Scott, for YOUR hard work in designing what will undoubtably be another great plane. The 3D nose looks awesome. Always impressed with how you make something look so great from a flat piece of foam, and then make it easy enough for those of us with 7 thumbs per hand to recreate.
  10. jiggymcfly

jiggymcfly Cadet

Man I really want to get my hands on one to miniturize. And idea when the plans will be released?
    ghostrider03z likes this.
  11. bobdabilduh55

bobdabilduh55 Top Gun

Looks real good.
    When are the PDF's gonna be available to purchase?
  12. JettaManDan

i really think i need one...ugh!
  13. hey Dan there is a guy at my flying field that uses a popup camper to hold all his that he brings to the field. but i think that would be a little too small for you LOL
  14. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

**** cant wait for this one and cant keep up with you guys. just finished the pak fa v2 tonight, planning on the v 1 if all goes well, then mabt the f 117v2, and now this mig. again ****:spin::D
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

The plane is really something else to looking at. Here is my walked around video :
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyl23mJtK7s&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

16. FED50H

FED50H Ace Pilot

Nice one. The sanding and taping of the edges really makes it sharp. Great job. Waiting to compare the flight charateristics of the airfoils....
  17. yeah those elevons are friken huge! wow! That ought to throw it around like crazy
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

They are 30 % larger than my 120 % mig 29 elevons. I added some extra on the tv vanes, and left some bypass on them (a gap between the two tv vanes) for more scale maneuvers. We'll see, but I am prepared to reduce elevon size if necessary to maintain scale performance.

19. I like the nacelles might have to do that on my next V1
  20. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

hey f 1 that airfoil is like what real planes have. i think it will work very well