Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

RCPowers F-35 V2 (FREE!)

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by RCPowers, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Bhuwan

Bhuwan Airman

Would be awesome if it was specific to the DollarTree foam, especially for a newbie like myself :D I've already wasted 2 pieces of foam on this (and the cost of printing 19 pages) but it's well worth it and a lot of fun.
    flybyrob likes this.
  2. Sparken57

Sparken57 Cadet

I guess I layed it out good I got the 2 plan sheets on 3 & 3/4 sheets of 20"X30" dollar tree foam board.that's IMG_0387.JPG IMG_0389.JPG IMG_0390.JPG IMG_0391.JPG with the KF and room for 2 spare elevators (the elevators look to be a crash week part) the foam board is about 1/16" shy of 6mm I will try to cut the slots accordingly.I had to cut the nose tip of the wing pieces. its inside so gluing will not show.
    flybyrob and ashkanr like this.
  3. Bhuwan

Bhuwan Airman

Sounds like you got the untiled version printed (2 pages). am I correct?
  4. Sparken57

Sparken57 Cadet

Yes thats right Im Lazy.It cost $11.30 for the 2 sheets at office max I know staples charges more than that not sure about all the other print shops.Now I just got to CUT ;)
    flybyrob likes this.
  5. Bhuwan

Bhuwan Airman

:)
  6. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

I know dollar tree foam is good for a lot of people due to it's cost..but i think it is a mistake on a plane this big..stuff is so floppy the bracing necessary would be crazy to keep it from flexing like mad...depron is expensive but it is also tough and doesn't require as much carbon or BBQ skewers...would hate to see someone make a plane this size out of DT and then crash it one and the whole deal kills itself.....
  7. Bhuwan

Bhuwan Airman

Makes sense, but I think the DollarTree foam is perfect for beginners like myself - honestly, at this point my interest is more in learning the build process, etc. than flying the beast :).

Depron is a very expensive way to go for newbies.
  8. JettaManDan

yeah totally agree...if you are just trying out your building skills it is a great thing to use...$5 gets you any plane..actually..i never used it till recently (discovered a dollar tree near me) now i've bought like 8 sheets and have messed with it a bunch....for a V1 plane i think it cna work to get yo ua good flying aircraft...but the V2's are bigger enough to make me worry lol!

oh..and depron isn't expensive for newbies..not at all..it is expensive for EVERYONE! lol!
  9. Bhuwan

Bhuwan Airman

LOL so true !!

I'm interested in seeing the results of a DollarTree build for this airplane - squishy seems to only use DT foam and has had decent results (but i doubt he crashes often).

I'm still trying to figure out untiled vs tiled printing - not sure which to go with. My tiled experience was a total failure - wasted 2 pieces of DT - but it was well worth it IMO. I've learnt a lot and can't wait to try it again.

P.S. the # 1 thing I learnt was PATIENCE !!
  10. JettaManDan

do you have a staples near you? i just recently started using them....you call the store..ask them for their e-mail to send PDF files..and shoot them an e-mail with the attachment of the plans...and they print out the whole deal for you on one or 2 sheets..costs like $8-10...i've now done it like 4 times and it is great..better than cutting and taping 19 sheets lol!
  11. Bhuwan

Bhuwan Airman

I called them about an hour ago - they want $27 per sheet - WTF? What size are you having them printed to? I asked specifically for the depron size - 27x39
  12. JettaManDan

WHAT? for black and white printing? mine was printed on 30x40 paper....2 sheets printed was like $10 last time....they are doing something wrong...
  13. Sparken57

Sparken57 Cadet

when I checked the price at staples they wanted like $7 each sheet thats $14 I did better at office max
    2 sheets $11.30 I agree about DT foam is flimsy My plane will have lots of bamboo skewers.:eek:
  14. Bhuwan

Bhuwan Airman

Planning to head there after work and talk to them in person - I am pretty sure they are doing something wrong ;)
  15. JettaManDan

yeah no way it should be that expensive...most i ever paid for 2 full printed sheets was $14...
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

My Staples just changed their service from "large pdf printing" to "engineering plans" and went from $5.50 to $7!

My youtube :
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky
  17. Thats a lame way to increase the price

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
  18. Raptor3DPilot

Raptor3DPilot Cadet

An alternative to depron and slightly stronger than DT foam is the 1/4" insulation foam from Lowes. I paid $35 for about 15 sheets or so of the blue fan fold foam. I build all of my aircraft from the blue stuff to test and try and then build the final version out of Depron.

Here's the link I believe the fanfold stuff. Only one Lowes in Vegas carries it.
    http://m.lowes.com/mt/www.lowes.com...tt=Fanfold+insulation+board&page=2&facetInfo=
  19. RC Beginner

RC Beginner Rookie

Its not free !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. scottmitchellweb

scottmitchellweb Rookie

Did you pay for it?
    ScottLott likes this.