Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

RCPowers F-22 V2

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by RCPowers, Oct 26, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

“Got some great compliments”
    Hey everyone, long time reader - first time poster. I got the Course and built up the F22 EB with great success.
    I have already (in 3 flights now) managed to pop both servo's loose, take a chunk out of the wing and snap an elevator but this depron is super easy to fix. I now need to rebuild the first 3 inches of nose - which seems to be a common problem - especially for me as I get a bit cocky!
    Other than that, it is super stable - hardly had to trim it - just a little up elevator - and a joy to fly as a beginner
    Really happy so far - just need to get some flying technique down!
    Big kudos to RCPowers.
    By MrAzzaE | February 19, 2012 | Full review here

“A good plane to learn to fly on?”
    Is the RCPowers F-22 a good plane to learn to fly on?
    Well, My dad recently had his birthday. (I learned to fly on the F-22 and have had great success) so gave him one of my F-22s for his birthday. Other than struggling with the launch he flew very well, in complete control.
    There was about a 5 to 7 m.p.h. wind, but the F-22 flew like it was on rails.
    He compared flying the F-22 to flying the corsair by saying that he was able to relax and just enjoy the flight versus having his heart pound out of his chest while flying the Corsair (and the other planes that he has tried to fly).
    Bottom line - this is a very stable, very forgiving and relatively easy plane to fly.
    Wing loading is low and if you want to fly this slow and steady while learning to fly, this is a great plane to have.
    On the other hand, once you are ready - the sky is the limit with the F-22, relatively fast and fully aerobatic.
    I will always have an F-22 ready to fly!
    By FatherAndSons | September 13, 2012 | Full review here

“I only wish that i had jumped in quicker.”
    Yes my maiden flight was a great victory to me. Believe it or not, I am new to flight. Some people have noticed that it took me over a year from the time that i began participating on the RCPowers Forum until the maiden of my first F-22. This was too long, but it is due to my personality. I am an engineer by background and frequently find myself feeling that I can not proceed with something until I know everything about it. So...I study, take notes and delay progress until I feel completely ready. This is sometimes known as 'Analysis Paralysis'. Not a good thing because it slows me down. I wish i had just jumped in and built a plane sooner like i have seen so many others do on this Forum.
    Not only did I study - not just read (I have hundreds of pages of notes that I took while studying the F-22 forum & the Course but i spent untold hours on the FMS simulator until I felt that i had total control of the aircraft. This study and simulator practice enabled me to have a very successful maiden, but it took me way too long. I only wish that I had jumped in quicker. I could have been enjoying this with my family long ago. So my recommendation to other newbies would be to study the forum and the Course, learn to fly the simulator but do it quickly.
    I also learned another lesson about the construction of a first plane. I worked long and hard on mine to make it nice. I have since had many accidents. It still flies, but not like it did when it was new. I should have built my first one - quick & ugly - to learn on. It would have been better to just get some actual flight experience before building such a nice plane.
    Regardless of my delayed methods of getting started, I'm hooked for life. I just finished my 2nd F-22 (with a KF4 - which I LOVE) and am planning to begin construction of the F-117 next week.
    My first F117 will be quick and dirty. I just want to get one in the air.
    Thanks again to the forum members, Dave Powers and Scott Lott. Well done!
    By FatherAndSons | June 23, 2012 | Full review here

[​IMG]
    Instant Unlimited Access
    Print from home or Kinkos
    Comes free in Course

[​IMG]
    $12.99

[​IMG]
    Choose from top vendors
    See only the best deals
    See what others are using​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    General build instructions
    Your questions supported
    Detailed build in Course

[​IMG]

---------------POWER SYSTEM
    Motor:
    ESC:
    Prop:
    Battery:
    Servos:
    Radio:
    Find Deals:
    2200kv, 30A max
    30A
    6x4 APC
    11.1v, 1600mAh, 20C
    2-6 metal gear
    2.4 GHz 6CH
    Master Parts List
    --------------------------SPECIFICATION
    Scale:
    Length:
    Wing Span:
    Wing Area:
    Weight:
    Channels:
    Skill Level:
    1/17
    48” (122.3 cm)
    34.1” (86.7 cm)
    3.8 sq ft (0.35 sq m)
    20-30 oz (570-850 g)
    3-6
    Beginner to Advanced
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2013
    WCatto, Eldorado4, rajeev206 and 6 others like this.
  2. (Instructions moved here)

“Definitely a crowd pleaser!”
    I almost always have people watching when I fly. The F-22 is definitely a crowd pleaser!
    I have found the F22 to glide very nicely. I can deadstick land it very very easily and smoothly. I suspect that yours comes down a little quicker though because yours is on the heavy side (about 10 oz. heavier than mine). On your next build (or even with a lighter battery on this plane), i bet you will find that it glides pretty well.
    Tell everyone at work to be patient. You will certainly wreck it eventually.
    By FatherAndSons | September 25, 2012 | Full review here

“A very well designed airplane”
    Just finished my F-22 a few days ago. I was able to take her out yesterday for the maiden flight. Went great, it's a very well designed airplane and flies amazingly well with just tailerons. I enabled the rudders today and found them to be an excellent addition, especially in slow flight. I am also using the KFm4 airfoil design, AUW is a "portly" 27 OZ. I have the ailerons cut out and hope to enable them this weekend.
    By dropkickjohny | March 31, 2011 | Full review here

“It was my first successful foamy”
    The F-22 is my favorite, but it isn't the one I fly most. I spend most of my time flipping the Cheap-N-Easy into the air. Mainly because I'm not afraid to crash it. I can build another Cheap-N-Easy in an afternoon while watching TV. I've got a little emotional investment in the F-22, I think because it was my first successful foamy. Instead of flying the F-22, I just look at it and hone my skills on the C-N-E until I'm ready to fly the bigger, faster F-22 again. Besides, The C-N-E is a lot of fun.
    By wheelbarrowjackson | September 24, 2011 | Full review here

“How much fun it would be flying with my son”
    Good Morning Guys, Took my F-22 out yesterday, flew 2 batteries without incident. Commented to the wife how easy this was to fly and how much fun it would be flying with my son. She said, and I'm not jokeing, "guess you need to build another one so you can both fly". I will be buying everything I need Monday before she changes her mind. LOL. Taking it out to the club today, can't wait for those guys to see it. I can fly for 8 minutes at half throttle. I see now I need more batteries.
    By Bukrub66 | April 3, 2011 | Full review here

“I may not fly like an expert but at least I can talk like one”
    I'm using the Dupont blue foam from Lowes so my plane may be a little heavier than the ones made with Depron and I may also add reinforcement as I am relatively new to this hobby and not quite the expert yet. I'm headed to the garage to cut out more pieces. Thanks again.
    PS: I have really enjoyed the "Course" and have learned A LOT from it. I may not fly like an expert but at least I can talk like one.
    By rsfrank1 | September 13, 2012 | Full review here
    WCatto, hussain2288, Jeriah and 2 others like this.
  3. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

nice! buying now...will be a nice winter build to replace my worn out original F-22...

WOW! just got the plans...no more 8 pages eh? lol! looks like a nice set of plans..i'll be building one here this winter...

Dan
  4. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Scott,

Can you explain the flight characteristics of this version using the microjet V3 compared to the first version? The weight is 18 to 24oz (probably average of 22oz for most of us) So I imagine it will be slower but will be incredibly stable and glide forever.
  5. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

I'm going to throw my V2 in there...i just like the extra few grams of thrust...
  6. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

I know I will end up putting the Mega jet in there when I find out how to safely achieve 35oz+ of thrust with it
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Just bought the F22 and F117 plans. I ordered the megajet combo last night - what luck! Guess I'll put it on the F22. Now which one do I build first?
    reberto31 likes this.
  8. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Honestly, these new planes are like flying on rails. Torque roll is nearly non existent and the few little changes we made really made a difference.
  9. Argonath

Argonath Ace Pilot

Just a quick question about the Depron sheets. In the link posted below, is that the same size sheets you used to build the new plans?
  10. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

The F-22 takes two full depron sheets (27x39), add another if you want the KF airfoils. The reason we went with the bigger planes at a cost of foam is the new planes fly THAT much better at their larger size and really make the little extra build time/effort/materials worth it.
    rujer007 likes this.
  11. Argonath

Argonath Ace Pilot

I thought that the 27.5' x 19.5' listed in the link would be a bit small. Thanks for the info.
  12. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Scott,

These elevons are HUGE! The servos that come in the MJv3 combo are strong enough to handle them right? Any concerns there? Obviously I am cutting them out right now and can fan myself with them to keep cool. Big ole elephant ear looking things, lol
  13. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Yes, our micro serves handled them fine. The front bit that extends past the hinge on the sides really helps with that.
  14. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Whats that little rectangle piece on page 16 go to? I don't have the plans at home to see...just the pieces
  15. Argonath

Argonath Ace Pilot

16. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Its part of the hatch assembly, it goes right under the motor and its where you put the hatch magnet that holds the hatch down.

Then you would have alot of trouble since the largest prop you can put on the F-22 before you cut into the fuselage sides is 8 inches.
  17. Argonath

Argonath Ace Pilot

You can't cut the prop slot to accomodate the larger prop?

It looks like the servos are just behind the prop slot to either side of it. It shouldn't throw the CG of the plane off by much to move the servos out further on the wing? Or are they mounted on the sides of the fuse walls below the top of the wing? The PDF shows their location but not if they're over the wing or under it...
  18. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

The prop slot is measured for a 6 inch prop, the biggest you can get up to is 8 inches before it starts cutting into the sides, the bottom slanted sections that support the rear part of the plane.
    GroovyCKP likes this.
  19. Argonath

Argonath Ace Pilot

Ok, that's a definate NO without a major re-model of the whole section...
  20. DJRubberCow

DJRubberCow Cadet

What size servos do you use anyways? I'm using 9g servos for the elevons but how about the rudders/separate ailerons? which size would be recommended there? I have the feeling that the 9g servos are just overkill there (esp. for the rudders) or am I wrong here?