Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

RCPowers Extra-300 (FREE!)

Discussion in 'Everything Scratchbuild (Questions & Chit-Chat)' started by RCPowers, May 24, 2009.

1. Extra 300
    "Great for beginners and experienced flyers alike!"
    PDF PLANS HERE Free!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[ame=""]YouTube- RC Airplane Extra 300 FREE Plans by RCPowers! (see sidebar)[/ame]

Length: 36" (91.5 cm)
    Wing Span: 35.5" (90 cm)
    Weight: 12 oz (340 g)
    Minimum Required Channels: 4

About the Extra300
    You've seen how much fun we have with foam on our YouTube videos. Here is your chance to try out some scratch building for FREE! Download the plans for the Extra 300, cut out your parts on 6mm depron or blue cor fan fold foam from the hardware store, and give it a shot! You can make as many planes as you want and it only costs you a couple bucks in foam for each one.

The Extra 300 is a mid range 3D flyer. Its very fast and simple to build even for guys that don't like to build. It floats and flys very nice and will do all the tricks. Because of its larger size, its very stable and makes a good trainer plane as well. We have gotten alot of feedback from guys that tried this out and liked it very much!

Don't want to cut out the model yourself? Get the kit here

FREE FMS MODEL by GGunners
    [​IMG]
    DOWNLOAD HERE

Original Thread

:confused: Need more info on how to use PDF Plans?
    :confused: Need help in choosing a power system for your plane? See our Power Systems Ebook.

Extra 300
    [​IMG]

HOME

If you have any questions please post them in the comments below. I'm subscribed to this thread and will answer you right away. :)

~ Scott Lott
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
  2. RCPowers

RCPowers Administrator

Something rather important will be added here at a later time
    namljayawardna likes this.
  3. RCPowers

RCPowers Administrator

This is the official Extra300 questions, answers, and post your own pictures thread. So fire away!

-Dave Powers and Scott Lott
  4. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

5. MartinT

MartinT Cadet

And here we are, with yet another exceptional "RCPowers Original"!

Mine is made from EPP, since I wanted to fly with it in my street.

It's a cul de sac with a little round yard in the middle, with some nasty trees, that have a very strong forcefield around them. (You know, the invisble force that pulls the airplane towards them, as like in the Battlestar Galactica,or was it Star Wars(?)series "tractor beam") [​IMG]

This is indeed a strange phenomenon, but model aircraft flyers around the world know it (unfortunately) all too well; even if you have an empty flying field with no obstacles and all the space whatsoever, but one single tree, where will the aircraft undoubtfully end up against? [​IMG]

So to make a long introductory short: regular depron was out of the question, sice it snaps upon impact. EPP was the way to go then.

One thing I was concerned about was the "floppyness" (for lack of a better word) of the EPP, by that I mean the amount that it can twist. And my concern turned out correct, when on the maiden flight I tried some moderate rolls, the tailend of the aircraft would literally stay in place until the fuselage and the wings had already rolled through 45 degrees, upon which the tail end finally started to follow the rest of the plane. Indeed a very strange and scarying sight to behold! (There is a carbonspar running lengthwise through the fuselage, which eliminates the lateral twist (sideways) but not the torsional one)

So after landing I did some searching on the RCgroups forum, and I found a post from someone saying that he put clear ducttape on his plane, and it made the plane realy stiff. I did not have clear ducttape laying around, but I did have a wide roll of so called "packingtape" (the clear type with white fiberstrands running through it)
    So I decided to give that a go. A first I put the tape only on the right side of the plane, since I did not want to spoil the looks of it. (Of most of my planes the left side is the nicer "photo and display side", and the wires, batttery, servos, and the works are on the right side). The tape made all the difference in the world!!!

And another lesson I relearned, was that the tape can only be seen on the ground from close range, but in flight It magically disappears!
    Which is sort of the same concept with the flat construction of the airframe, when in flight, (say further than about 10 meter (30 feet) away, when the "finer details" can't be seen anymore your brain tells you that it looks perfectly ok! (such as it would when it has a full 3D fuselage)
    The way this works is that your brain "knows" what an airplane looks like, because of experience: ALL aircraft have a more or less round tubelike fuselage shape, so when your eyes cannot see an image that tells it is different in this case, the brain just "fills in the blanks" and turns it into a picture it Knows how it should look like!
    (which is in fact incorrect, the brain is actually "lying" to us, what you perceive to see (a round 3D fuselage) is really NOT there!)

So I put tape on both sides now, and the plane is as stiff as, as... well what your wife is happy about when you wake up in the morning... ;-)

I put in some right and down thrust by offsetting the motor to the left and top in relation to the "firewall" (the wooden motormount where the motor is screwed on to), and by putting a washer under the left and top side between the wood and the metal mount, so the front of the motor axle ends up in the center. (the easiest to do this is to lay the wooden plate flat on the bench and while looking from directly above move the motor around (with the washers in place so that the center of the prop ends up in the middle of the circle of the wooden motormount, and when you have that, mark where to drill the holes. (I just eyeball it, this is no rocketscience, however by doing it this way i.s.o. glueing the woodenfirewall on tilted, one can adjust the amount of offset thrust by varying the amount of washers (so you start from a neutral point (since the wood will be glued flat ont the aircraft))

The only thing I am not happy about yet is the flying time, I get 4 to 5 minutes max from it, so I have to work a little more to optimize the power/prop/motor combo.
    (Hobbycity 2408-21 (1400KV) motor, 18A ESC, 9x3.8prop, 3S 750mAh Rhino LiPo) I have an 8x3.8 prop on it now, it is a lot quieter, better for the neighbors! And the motor accelleration is a lot better, flying time is about the same...

The tape (and extra hotglue after some intense treecontact) made the plane about 30 grams heavier, it now weighs in at a hefty 324 grams. (was 293 gr.) So with the battery this makes it a total of 391 gr. AUW. (Quite heavy but I got the wrong foam, the 1.9 density, I should have ordered the 1.3 density...)

Here are the piccies:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863131&page=20#post12341825

Best regards,
    Martin
  6. RobMac

RobMac Rookie

You mean a stiff strong cup of tea??? :D

Nice work on the 300

Rob
  7. MartinT

MartinT Cadet

...LOL, you guessed it!!! ;-)

Martin
  8. kunalbuzz

kunalbuzz Rookie

Extra 300 - HELP WANTED!!

Hey guys,

I'm new to this flying business

Haven't really got an idea of what kind of motor, radio, prop, battery, etc. to use for the Extra 300 plane

This would be my first plane therefore I don't really want to get into the expensive stuff

could any of you guys who've already made this plane give me an idea as to what kind of stuff I can use for my plane so that it can at least take off :eek:
  9. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

We have multiple links in the top post for that purpose exactly:
    [​IMG]
    This is a combo from graysonhobby.com, everything you need to get the extra up into the air minus the foam. They are wanting 64.99 for the combo right now. Thanks!
  10. subhan.nasir

subhan.nasir Rookie

bulding extra300

hi everyone. i am a beginner to rc world. i have j3 piper cub from sdm.its a three channel plane with brushed 380 motor n soo onnn..

i was wondering if i could build extra 300 plane using the gear i got with j3 piper. kindly asist me in that.
  11. knexsbf

knexsbf Rookie

12. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Seems that its a little underpowered/undercapable for the size of the extra300. Thanks!
  13. mitch

mitch Rookie

i got the pdf and i am going to get some foam and that novice combo from grayson hobby but where can i find a radio and reciever i have a 3 channel radio and reciever maybe i coud run the ailerons and rudder togethter with a y to the reciever but i think i really should biuld a foamie rathe than wasting $100s and i am new on this forum so thanks
    mitch
    Matterhorn71 and namljayawardna like this.
  14. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

mitch, a rudder/aileron combination on the extra would be a bad idea unless your just going to fly in circles above your head. The trainer planes that they make for turning with the rudder can't do anything slightly impressive in the way of tricks. For instance, a simple barrel roll is nearly impossible.

The airplane would be MUCH more aerobatic and easier to control if you just did aileron and elevator, gluing the rudder straight on without a hinge. The rudder is nice for 3D moves and fighting the wind but if you dont have that extra channel don't combine the aileron and rudder. Thanks!

Oh! And welcome to the RCP Forums!
  15. mitch

mitch Rookie

16. Nelsonho396

Nelsonho396 Rookie

i need help

im tring to make the 300 3d plane thing but i only have 2 servo a 380 motor um everything in a accipiter baduis 3 channel im wonder do inned 4 channel cant i stick to3 oh yah which foam do i get!!!!!!!!:machinegune::(and can someone teach me to fly a power glider
  17. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Nelson, you can setup the extra300 with 2 servos, but its not easy. Just click on this link and go through all the pictures to see how other people did it, and as far as learning to fly, pick up a good simulator, its your best bet! Thanks!
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863131/
  18. Loopy-de-loop

Loopy-de-loop Rookie

something is strange about the FMS model? look like he powered by a combustion engine to me.
  19. zachattach12

zachattach12 Rookie

I need help

Hey I'm new to R/C planes also and i would like to build this plane, I have one question though, I would like to know what transmitter would be the best for this plane that can be used for other planes in the near future and I would preferably like to keep the cost under 150$. If you can find me a link that would be great.
    :D

Thanks,
    John.
  20. zachattach12

zachattach12 Rookie

I was just surfing the web and came across these two, would any be a good choice and fit the requirments I have listed below, E-Flite HP6DSM 6-Channel or Hitec RCD Laser 6.

:D
    Thanks,
    John.