Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

RCPowers Eurofighter V2

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by RCPowers, Jul 8, 2011.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Woah, Crankshaw-Looks ready for primetime! What are you weighing in at? What do you think of airflow out? I'm stiffening sides with carbon tubes since I get som flex in fuselage also. I can imagine he much you get with that leaf blower motor you got there. I will be painting today, I guess blue is out! When is the big flight? Get dad to video it!

Going to test the plane with kf2 today. I figured the guys may have angled canards based on kf2 which will have more lift on the rear than the kf4 and that may be why I've got the nose coming up even with cg right or even forward a bit.
  2. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Well if it cools down I will maiden today. I have to either make or find a simple control horn as I am short one. I also need to make something that will secure my batteries... probably use velcro. She will come in at about 40oz fully loaded I think. I don't have high expectations for speed though. I may need to put my rambo 1450kv 1600watt motor in her for speed.
  3. jordan99

jordan99 Cadet

mine is one the way... I am hoping to maiden next weekend. I don't like blue core foam, Elmer foam board is too heavy, pink foam is too thick, depron is expensive, so is Epp...hate to pay for shipping because I cann't get it at local stores. So, I have beenusing Dollar Tree foam sheets, I peeled the paper off, and stick two sheets with 3M spray glue, I got 8-9mm sheet - same weight as 6mm depron and also strong. Good alternative to depron!

Attached Files:

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Looks very clean, jordan99! The dollar tree foam looks good and for sure it will be stronger. As long as the weight is good then it should work out fine. Which power set up will you use? I tried something new today. I sprayed the wole plane with minwax polycrylic water based wood finish to seal the foam, paint adheres better too. Keep us up to date!
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

The EF needed lots of down trim- i mean lots. Since I was using KF4's I and Dave and Scott designed the plane with KF2, i figured that the upward angle of the canards that they designed into the plane may not be good for KF4. KF2 "pulls" up on the rear of the delta wing and the upward angle of the canard pushes up the nose so it balances out. When adding KF4, the lift on the delta wing is less, but the canard angle is the same, so nose goes up. I tried KF2 today and sure enough, the plane flew straight. I didn't mind the floatier feel of the KF2, and since the EF is not a speed demon (not until Crankshaw proves me wrong) I don't mind having a floatier funjet that rolls like an SOB. Will still cut down canards though.
  6. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Maiden was a success!

This plane is made for you hi-alpha lovers. It just floats and with that canard angled the way it is, the high alpha was spectacular, so the edf unit was not right for the plane as I achieved maybe 35 mph. This plane is not made to break the 100mph barrier that I love. So 8 out of 10... The plane is perfect for beginning fliers and as Dave said "dial down the roll". The plane is suitable for intermediate to experienced builders. I don't recommend it for a first built plane as it involves somewhat challenging scoring and attention to detail.

The cg can be manipulated and is not sensitive. Many people go nose heavy on a maiden, I prefer tail heavy because all of my tail heavy crashes are light and limited damage occurs unlike a tail heavy crash. F1wannabe is correct about down trim... I noticed that if you balance an inch nose side the cg (at 7" from wing break) very little down trim is needed.

Yes.... Video is coming soon, please check out my YouTube site and give me some thumbs up action
  7. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

8. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Nice flight!
  9. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Yes I enjoyed that and guess what? I will pull the edf out and throw some other beast in there and fly her... After I add carbon spars to the wing and elevons which they currently do not have any of.
  10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Nice job, Crankshaw! Looks and sounds fast even if it isn't! What do you think the limiting factor was for speed? Weight? Drag? I cut a new set of smaller canards tonight. Will try 4s tomorrow. Still have the Turnigy 3648 - 1450 motor to try also.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  11. jordan99

jordan99 Cadet

I also thought about putting my Turnigy 3648 - 1450 motor in it but the 7x8 prop won't fit. You will have to cut the sides. That's the recommended prop with 5s on 100A.. I will just have to go with SMJ for now.

Attached Files:

12. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

@jordan99: ya have to reverse that shaft man or find a super strong mount. It's easier than it looks. The 7x8 prop will be pushing that motor to it's limits on a 5S especially if you live in a hot climate. Prop down to a 7x6 or go 4S on an 8x6 prop. Those combos work great for me
  13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Due to the clearance limitations I will do the 6x5.5 i've got on 4s which should not stress the motor at all.

14. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Actually it will and I advise you not!
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Guys are using it on 7 and 8 inch props on 4s with relatively low amps. Is it the rpm's you are concerned about?

16. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

When I used a 6x5.5 prop on the megajet with a 4S, the motor started to smell like it was burning up once I landed and.... and... I was not impressed with the performance over the 6x4 prop. The megajet would be awesome if those **** magnets would stay attached. Do you have a watt meter? If so, your magic number to stay below is 680watts. Anything more will be too much for the megajet.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Comprendo. But, I was referring to the Turnigy 3648 - 1450 motor which should actually run cooler than the 105 degree ambient air temperature we are having this week on a 6x5.5, ha.

18. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Oh... Well I believe you can run that on a 6S configuration actually... my problem is that the 6x4 or 6x5.5 doesnt fit on the adapter for that motor so you have to drill the hole bigger on the prop.

I run an 8x4 and 8x6 prop on a 4S with that motor and it doesn't bother it. I am willing to bet you could do an 8x9 prop on a 4S. 7x6 prop on a 5S 40C gets my battery pretty warm. I would advise not flying on anything less than a 40C rated battery for this motor.

Also if you wanted to do slow flying you could run a few 3S batteries in parallel and use an 8xwhatever prop or even a 9xwhatever. This motor has a wide variety of combos.
  19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I will try the largest 6 in prop for now. I don't expect too high of a top speed. Found a 5mm prop adapter that fits the apc 6/7 inch props for the Turnigy.

20. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

I am going to cut the canards off and reposition them then go out and fly it again.