Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

RC electric motors - what do the numbers mean?

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by Alan.Powell, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Alan.Powell

Alan.Powell Rookie

Can anyone point me at a source document which explains the numbers associated with inrunners and outrunners.

For example - what is the difference between a 480 and a 280 size motor - yes, I know - size. but why and how is this decided. Also, a motor might be advertised as a 2202-35 (made that one up but you get the idea). What does that mean - rotors ? magnets? turns?

Thanks in advance

Alan
  2. kaptondave

kaptondave Rookie

I have searched but have never found a definition that I consider completely reliable. The numbers are apparently holdovers from nitro-powered planes and have no directly quantifiable meaning relative to electric motors. Particularly frustrating are web sites like Hobby King's that quote motor class size in the requirements for a model but rarely classify their own motors that way. However, I have seen information that relates them to model weight as follows:.

370 / 380 Class - Planes between about 7 and 12 ounces in weight
    400 Class - planes in the 12 to 20 ounce range
    450 Class - planes in the 20 to 30 ounce range.

As to the motor part numbers, there is no standard. In some case a number like 2835 means a motor that is 28 mm in diameter and 35 mm long. In others they follow some other scheme devised by the manufacturer.
  3. Alan.Powell

Alan.Powell Rookie

Thanks. So from what I can gather a MJV3 is a 400 ish motor and a Megajet is a 480?
    Alan
  4. MoTheG

MoTheG Airman