Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Question about elevon mix...

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by DYORD, Nov 14, 2010.

1. DYORD

DYORD Cadet

I haven't flown an elevon mixed jet... so I don't really know the difference.

I'm setting up my F35 with an elevon. As I'm checking the control surfaces, when I put the stick down-right (up elevator - right aileron), The left control surfaces would just level and the right surface would go up. I'm not really sure how this plane would react in the air.. I'm thinking of doing the controls one at a time to have a complete control of the plane. Roll first then pull up (everytime I turn).

I'm using DX6i radio.. and all my D/R are 40%.. should i put the elevator a little higher than the aileron?
  2. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

3. Keegles

Keegles Rookie

Well said
  4. Mertz42

Mertz42 Cadet

Great video, This is the same way I worked thru my issue with my F-35.

Good Job
    !:thumb:
  5. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

I made that video just for you! (not really, I just made it because I got sick of people asking about it over and over) anyways I also did a thread under rc chit chat called "Elevon mixing in detail" using the dx6i. If you like chicks in bikinis holding the dx6i then you'll love this thread (please note chicks in bikinis and that thread have nothing in common)
  6. DYORD

DYORD Cadet

Thanks for the video jcrank... but it didn't actually answered my question.. What I'm trying to ask is how will the plane react when controlling the elevator and the aileron at the same time. As I can see it on the ground, (while the stick is on down right position), The left control surface is in level position. While the right surface is up.
  7. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Your elevon mixing should be fine set up stock from the radio. I know it doesn't make a ton of sense but imagine you turn the aileron one way, then pull up, with high enough throws one elevon will be level and the other practically an airbrake. Everyone's elevon mixing does this, so it's not surprising that yours does the same.

Not to worry, some guy down in his moms basement figured this all out 20 years ago (then didn't get paid), and it works surprisingly well.

If your not comfortable with it reduce your elevator throws. But like I said originally, it should be fine.
  8. Mertz42

Mertz42 Cadet

I think what your asking is how do they both work together. If you apply up or down elevator and then add a left or right input you will notice a mixed signal being applied to the system.
  9. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

that is just how they work...the 2 control surfaces work opposite and together at the same time to turn and pull and push....
  10. omnikurt

omnikurt Rookie

I understand the correct movements that one should expect with Elevon mixing, but can't seem to get my DX6i to cooperate. I have enabled Elevon mix, and pluged in the right elevon servo into the ELEV channel on the receiver, and the left elevon servo into the AILE channel. Using servo reverse, I am able to get bank right/left correct, but pitch up/down is backwards. If I change the reverses, then bank up/down is correct, but the pitch is backwards. What the heck am I doing wrong...? Is there some way to reverse the actual mix? By the way, this setup is for the F-35 foamy, with the servos mounted on the bottom of the wing as depicted in the instructions. Obviously this is my first Elevon setup, so your help is appreciated.
  11. Thats what i hate with setting up elevon planes... reverse the servos on the rx and then play with reversing them on the tx. Always works but is a hassle.
  12. omnikurt

omnikurt Rookie

You are a genius, and I am an idiot... I could swear that I tried that early on, but lo and behold, I swapped the receiver channels, and now everything is just right. Maybe I should give up this hobby :) Thank you for your suggestion!
  13. Ohhhh trust me im not a genius. I make these kind of simple mistakes all the time and sometimes pay for it. Im just a dopey-dope as dave would say lol
  14. Mertz42

Mertz42 Cadet

Why give it up when you have so much to learn. When you have it all figured out and you get bored you can always take up golf. Until then just be thankful for this great forum to post questions.

Keep Learning!