Plans for slow flyer?

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by jbelokur, Oct 29, 2012.

1. jbelokur

jbelokur Cadet

Does anyone have plans for a slow flyer? I'm thinking 4-5' wingspan with just elevator/rudeer control. Kind of like a powered glider. I would like to have one.

2. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Moderator

3. Tsabah

Tsabah Cadet

Slow flyers, now that is a topic I find interesting, but I need to look around a bit more in the forums to see if there is more comments and suggests about this. I have been taken by some rather large all foam RC model aircraft projects posted in YouTube that are very lightweight construction and putter about in less than a 1/4 acre of flying field due to their slow antics. It seems a lot of skilled builder/pilots are doing more with light weight building schemes and less expensive RC gear in recent years. Starting to get a bit of a collection of videos now with plenty of ideas, but not many references to build threads. If one is offered it is normally a link to a build thread in RC Groups. Let me post a link of a few of my favorites for ideas. This one is of an enlarged Flight Test Old Foggy , and this one is a jump to an SR-71 . Very different construction materials and build methods, but they represent well the variety of subjects and RC models folks have made while thinking bigger is better.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    jacktores69 and bogusbandit56 like this.
  4. FED50H

FED50H Top Gun

Hahahahahahahaha, a plane that flies slow, or a plane for a slow flyer.....

Wildthing and homey666 like this.
  5. Tsabah

Tsabah Cadet

There are more than a few more videos to ponder, but I didn't want to hog too much space in this thread. So far my YouTube video collection is up to 46 videos and most of them are about very different, or slightly different construction methods. It depends on how big you want to go and how slow you want to fly. All use common foams found in the large lumber and hardware warehouse stores, or home improvement warehouses. I am getting a bit long in tooth, so I find I need larger, slower models to fly since they are easier to see and very relaxing to fly. The key is very low wing loading, but that also means wind will be an issue as if flying a small park flyer that is very lightweight. Not as much of an issue if you get bigger than a five foot long fuselage, but still a control concern if it gets too windy. Then there is the issue of big is more of a nuisance to transport to the flying field. Especially if you only own a compact car.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  6. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

The RCP SU - 27 SS handles very nicely at low speed, and it's reported that the SU-34 does as well, though I have not flown that one.

7. Tsabah

Tsabah Cadet

True, but new pilots will take a while to get use to the idea they can fly slower with a high alpha, or nose high. If the model design is a little bigger, won't fly very fast even with full throttle, a new pilot is more likely to do well while learning. Sometimes older pilots forget how much they have learned from their first flight, but get a newbie on the sticks and watch how quickly they get overwhelmed. Whenever I see this happen it brings back some very old memories of my first flights and first trainer model airplane. It also reminds how quickly it became scrap balsa.

8. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Doesn't get slower than this. lol. I am going to be building 2 slow flyers next . This one:

but first, because i got a kit, this one:

Wildthing and dangermouse650 like this.
  9. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Moderator

interested to see how your slowly comes together BadAxe...

BadAxeFlyer likes this.
  10. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

While i love my jets i am also looking at slow fliers, there is enjoyment in going fast but also in seeing how slow you can go, The blu baby is a slow flyer but i still want to go slower.

Wildthing likes this.
  11. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

The Flite Test Storch is also worthy of consideration.

Wildthing likes this.
  12. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

I will do a build thread for that one here. Gonna post build progress pics of the Slowboat over at RCGroups in the Slowboat thread, so you can check those out there if ya want. But I will take another crack at a detailed build thread for the Slowly over here.

13. Gvdh

Gvdh Ace Pilot

You get all-sorts of slow... I love slow... (& fast)

Pics is of my 1st own-design, dedicated planned as slow. (If you can even call a STIK as own design... maybe just the variation of it)

(Apologies to those that have seen it already:oops:)

I'm adding the guideline dimentions for any-one that may want to know more for interest sake.

Back of my mind planning a Slow-fly... Jet... EDF!!o_O (Those 3 terms just does not seem to belong in the same sentance... or does it??:p)

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.
  14. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Moderator

yeah don't care about the slowboat lol

BadAxeFlyer likes this.
  15. Gvdh

Gvdh Ace Pilot

PS: Forgot to say... since building... and crashing the Stik, i've shortened the nose by 50%. The lead in the tail had to go... Slowfly with lead just doen't compute!!:eek:

Wildthing likes this.
  16. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Here is a slow flying F-22 with EDF and my invetion of thrusters. It will even hover.(at 2 min)

Wildthing likes this.
  17. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Yea, after your exp, I understand. :)

18. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

SLO MO is the plane for you(plans are on this site). It not only has landing gear, but with the Scott Slotts, guarantee you that it is slow for takeoff(real fast if you punch throttle) and landings will give you time to think. The second video shows Vertical landings. Haven't see other videos where you not only land, but you takeoff again and can redo it.
    Made a mod to it where I added rudder control which improves positioning for takeoffs and landing.

Wildthing and Gvdh like this.
  19. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Could you provide a link to these plans?

20. Tsabah

Tsabah Cadet

Wow, for a model named Slo Mo, that thing has some speed and it looks like it is suppose to go fast. For a real slow plane design it will have straight, wide wings, and the model will fly at a walking speed at half throttle for as long as you want to. That is assuming you will be satisfied with 10 to 15 minutes of flight time that represents a common standard in battery endurance. If the design needs more than a walking speed to take off, it isn't a true slow flier and will give a new pilot a bit of discomfort as the mind is trying to keep up with the action. Another characteristic of a truly slow flier is it will be very lightweight, so naturally the wing loading will be extremely low. An oversized Nutball is more of a slow flier than the Slo Mo is if you don't over power it, but it does have a few unfriendly characteristics a new pilot trainee will find troublesome. When a turn that is more than very, very shallow is commanded, the nose will dip towards the ground. When the new pilot learns to add a slight bit of up elevator when starting the turn, the issue is averted.

Very slow flying model aircraft designs have a few characteristics in common: minimal fuselage, very lightweight parts, and difficult to control in a light breeze. If the wind picks up just a little, it takes command of the lightweight aircraft model and a pilot trainee will have difficulty regaining control. Therefore most aren't flown outside until a larger battery is installed and the motor, ESC, and receiver can handle the extra power to overcome the influence of a slight breeze. Otherwise a different, slightly heavier model aircraft design has to be selected. Generally speaking, that means your first decision has to be what will be the environment the model will be flown in? Then next decision is how big do you want the model to be? The other decisions that follow will be answers to the first two decisions. There are so many model aircraft designs already available a new builder/pilot only needs to decide if he, or she is going to do the training indoors, or outdoors. After that it is just deciding which model aircraft design tickles your fancy the most, but that is often not an easy decision since there are so many good options.