Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Orange HK receivers: DX7S and DX8

Discussion in 'Master Parts List' started by RANTHM, Oct 9, 2011.

1. RANTHM

RANTHM Rookie

Will the Hobbyking orange receivers work on the DX7S and DX8 like it does on the DX7?
  2. Yep. They all work with dsm2 or dsmx transmitters. ;)
  3. wheelbarrowjackson

wheelbarrowjackson Cadet

The receivers don't use DSMX though, do they? I understood that they were a generation behind and all using DSM2 with all it's warts.
  4. sukhoi69

sukhoi69 Cadet

I have used them with DX6i and DX8 and have never had a single problem with the 6 I have. They are the whole reason I went with Spektrum radio's.
  5. wheelbarrowjackson

wheelbarrowjackson Cadet

I didn't mean they wouldn't work and availability of inexpensive receivers is a great reason to choose a platform. I meant that DSM2 is not as agile as FHSS or DSMX because it uses fixed channels within the spectrum.
  6. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

I had an issue with a orange Rx and my DX8..but it was fixed with the recall..and now they work fine. I just started buying the ar500's from target hobby for a few more $$'s...they have a longer antenna and i think a bit safer...
  7. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

The Orange RX 6 channel and 9 channel receivers work great on my DX7 and XP9303 systems (Both DSM2).
  8. RANTHM

RANTHM Rookie

Thanks for the feed back. Thinking of buying either the dx7s or the dx8
  9. CrashAndLearn

CrashAndLearn Cadet

The OrangeRx 6 Channel receivers worked (in DSM2 mode) with my DX8 but after a while I started noticing intermittent loss of signal when going beyond "park-flyer" range. I tried adding the Orangerx satellite receivers but that didn't really help. I also changed the receiver to another unit of the same type (to see if it was a defective unit) but it exhibited the same problems. I also don't think it's brown-out issues because I always plug a capacitor/voltage-protector in my receivers.

In my experience, they're fine if you're using them as 'park flyer/foamy' receivers (notice that they're not labeled as full-range receivers) but I wouldn't use them on anything larger or more valuable. Notice that I'm talking about the 6 Channel OrangeRx and not the newer OrangeRx 9 Channel Spektrum receivers.

I also switched to the Target Hobby "Spektrum" 6 channel sport receivers and up to now they seem a lot more reliable for only a few dollars more.
  10. Keegles

Keegles Rookie

I just got the 9ch orange rx and will try it on my dx8 with dsmx shortly and report.
  11. JettaManDan

Welcome back!!!! hadn't seen you round these parts in a while....
  12. FlyingFoam

FlyingFoam Rookie

I have two spektrum receivers marked DSMX and thats what they show up as when I bind with my DX8.
  13. FlyingFoam

FlyingFoam Rookie

That is kind of wird the 6 channel sports are the only ones that just dont seem to work with my DX8.

I have done a comparason range test between the receiver that came with the DX8 and the orange, there seemed to be no differance. I took two DX8s and bound one to the orange and one to the receiver it came with and had both in low power range test mode. I attached flags to servos and started walking I was over 200 feet before having any problems. I would check out you power as I have found the orange goes into brownout sooner. Try using an external bec.
  14. Keegles

Keegles Rookie

Yeah, i spend more time at rcgroups. And weve had terrible weather this year so i havent done as much flying. Hows it goin?
  15. JettaManDan

good..same old..just gettin deeper into this stuff...heck i've given 6 planes away and still have like 20+ - gotten deep into heli's now and messin with a 500 class CP heli...just falling deeper into the hole ;) i hang out over there too...
  16. Keegles

Keegles Rookie

yep, im around 20 as well. just bought a xpd-8 off ebay and have no room at home for it, thinking about relisting it on ebay. The guys i fly with all fly 500 cp's, seems boring to me.
  17. Keegles

Keegles Rookie

flight report today from the 9ch orange rx with dx8 dsmx. flew in a metro environment up to 2000ft with no issues. tried to setup flaperons on the potentiometer with no luck, can use all switches but aux 3 for flaps.
  18. JettaManDan

like the Rx is not recognizing the signal or the switch is not assigned in the radio?
  19. Mertz42

Mertz42 Cadet

I have been using them with my Futaba 6EX with no issues.
  20. Keegles

Keegles Rookie

All switches but aux 3 can be used as flaps. I didnt try making my own mix of ail and aux3. Seems ridiculous they wouldnt make the variable switch the flap switch.