MODDING the Wild Hawk

Discussion in 'RTF / ARF Helis & Planes' started by Patrick_W, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Patrick_W

Patrick_W Rookie

Wild Hawk mods?

I know there a lot of guys out there with wild hawks! Im not a beginner anymore but i almost want one just to let my friends fly, and to mess around with... So, lets start a thread to show everybody your modifications!

2. FoamyDave

FoamyDave Rookie

BillyD's WH Mods

I'm just starting out with my Wild Hawk and I have a plan to mod it as my skills progress. Billy D has a wonderful set of videos and photos showing how he hopped-up his WH. Use the link below and scroll about half way down the page.

http://www.billydsrc.com/

Step 1: More power by adding a 3 cell Lipo.
    Step 2: Ailerons but use the 3 channel radio after disabling the rudder.
    Step 3: Brushless motor and ESC
    Step 4: 4 channel radio (get the rudder back).

Look in my signature below for a link to my blog. I'm recording my experiences and the little adjustments I have made to my WH.

3. Manwe Nomin

Manwe Nomin Rookie

I just got my own Wild Hawk about two weeks ago, and between school and bad weather, I've only been able to fly it about three times so far. I haven't yet made any mods to it (considering I'm a beginner at this) unless you count the maybe 3 times I've had to either tape on or glue on the nose portion due to "vertical landings" as FoamyDave would call them.. :eek: It's been a great experience though. It was never the nicest day out there on those days, so I've had to learn flying and landing into some stronger wind than I'd hoped. But all the parts are still good, so it's been sort of a trial by fire deal (minus the training I got on the sim, of course).

The only real problem I've had is that the left wing must have been damaged during one of the earlier crashes because it falls off the plane pretty easily now, sliding out because I don't have it taped or glued. (This particularly sucks at the end of a really nice and successful 5 minute flight, as the plane plummets 30 feet to the ground without any wings :p) Luckily nothing has been damaged severely, other than the fuselage itself. Soon it will be nearly all hot glue! :rolleyes:

Anyway, after I get the flying of the stock version down, I'll probably do the same as FoamyDave: try out the mods that Dave and Ron and Billy have all done, adding ailerons and better servos and motors. That should be a good foray into the RC world before I start moving into my own scratch planes. I can't wait to try some of these mods out! :)

4. Patrick_W

Patrick_W Rookie

You know, I bet you could keep those wings from coming off while still keeping them removable by just wrapping a bit of tape around the tube to make it a more snug fit. Your fuselage will thank you ;)

5. Manwe Nomin

Manwe Nomin Rookie

Haha, that's a good idea! I was just planning on taping the wing to the plane from now on to keep it there, but that seems like it would work too!
    And believe me, I think my fuselage and I are no longer on speaking terms. :eek:

6. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Rookie

For those of you who have used the Grayson Sonic V2 motor (as used on the Hawk in the RCPowers videos), how did you mount it?

7. David393

David393 Rookie

Wild Hawk Flight Times

I'm considering getting one as a prototype platform for a UAV project but I'm wanting a platform that will allow for 20+ minute flights. Speed isn't an issue... stability is key.

For those familiar, with the stock configuration what modifications are recommended to allow for 20+ minute flights... 30+ would be even better of course. My fear is this might be pushing the envelope and require a nitro based platform... but then noise becomes an issue.

Thanks,
    -David

8. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Rookie

^^ That's weird, that's the same reason I'm looking into it. If you get one up and running PM me, we're not too far apart :)

9. F-111A John

F-111A John Cadet

I just read over at RCGroups.com about someone who used replacement Easy Star wings on his Wild Hawk.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11717110&postcount=1271

Since the Easy Star has a slightly larger wing area (372 sq. in. vs. 327 sq. in.,) it appears to make the Wild Hawk fly more like a soaring glider.

Might be an interesting mod, especially for those who have broken their Wild Hawk wings once too many times, and are looking for a replacement set of wings anyway.

10. Manwe Nomin

Manwe Nomin Rookie

Mod to DX6i?

Hey guys, I just recently got a DX6i and AR6200 receiver. I wanted to hook it up to my otherwise stock wildhawk, but ran into a few problems. First, I may be wrong with this, but it seems like the receiver is not powered by the battery directly, but maybe through the other servo wires? (The battery slot on the receiver is empty) If that's the case, could I also power my AR6200 the same way? Secondly, the servo to receiver connections are too large to fit in my new receiver. Should I just buy new servo-connection-wires (whatever they're actually called, haha) and replace them? Basically, I want to just mod the wildhawk to use the DX6i without replacing too many parts.. and I figure, as long as I can power the receiver through those wires, all I should need to do is change out the receiver and it should work. Or am I completely wrong? haha
    Thanks for any help guys :)

11. BtownG

BtownG Rookie

I know nothing about the Wild Hawk but most of the time the receiver is powered by the "throttle wire coming from the speed controller. So you are correct in saying that the battery slot will be empty.

As for the plugs on the wires coming from the servos being to large that I am not sure what the problem would be. Maybe if you could post pictures of the plugs that may help. There are 3 types of servo plugs I have ran across. There is a universal plug, a Futaba J plug that looks like the universal but has a small tab on the side and the JST plug which is smaller than the other two. If you have the Futaba J plug you can carefully cut the tab off and they will fit in the Spektrum receivers.

12. Manwe Nomin

Manwe Nomin Rookie

Alright, awesome, thanks BTownG... I was wondering if I was just going crazy due to the lack of battery input =P
    And yeah, they did have the tab, and I tried cutting one of them off so now they're the right length, but they look to be too thick to fit into the slots on the AR6200.. It sounds like the Futaba you described, just wider. I wonder if there is a connection wire between that tabbed type and AR6200 type? I'd post pictures of the side by sides, but my camera doesn't seem to be on speaking terms with my computer at the moment :boggled: (<--- I just wanted an opportunity to use that smiley as well haha)
    But thanks for all the help BTownG! Hopefully I can find a way to mod this so I can use my lovely transmitter :)

13. Durtbag

Durtbag Rookie

I used my hobby knife to trim the corners at an angle to get them to fit my airtonics rx. Look in your manual for the rx to see the orientation of the wires and you'll know where you should trim the plastic.

14. Manwe Nomin

Manwe Nomin Rookie

Aha! That worked! I just trimmed down the corners like Durtbag and it worked like a charm! Now I've got my WildHawk runnin off my DX6i! Thanks man! :D

Only problem I had when I went out to test it was that the motor doesn't actually start to respond until the throttle stick is halfway forward... I checked the "monitor" screen and the input value is going up like it should.. Does anyone else have this problem/know how to fix it?

15. Durtbag

Durtbag Rookie

It does the same with my Airtronics, from what I've read on various places round the internet it's common, I haven't seen (or looked into really) being able to reprogram the esc. Mine will be coming out soon anyhow =].

16. Manwe Nomin

Manwe Nomin Rookie

Ah, gotcha... So it's something to do with the esc programming? Cause I tried trimming the throttle channel way up, but it didn't seem to change its response distance, it just throttled up quicker on the upper half of the stick movement. Oh well. Not a huge deal I guess =)

17. F-111A John

F-111A John Cadet

Just got my Wild Hawk, so now it's on to the mods before first maiden.

First mod, to extend the rudder. Also, the stock WH seems to be very tail heavy, just as one of Foamy Dave's blog entries has said. I'm thinking that the CG should be right on the wing tube?

I will have to cut some foam in the cockpit area in order to be able to move the stock NiMH battery pack forward enough to get this CG without adding Foamy Dave's fishing weight.

Gee, it looks so shiny and new in it's box, everything in it's compartment protected by it's own plastic bag. It'll never look this good again!

Oh, one last mod, I found an old Top Flite 6x3 nylon 1/2A prop in my box-o-stuff I've had in various basements since 1981. Is there any problem in drilling out the center of a nylon prop in order to fit the WH stock motor prop adaptor?

John

18. Durtbag

Durtbag Rookie

Mine seems to balance good just past the foam block where the spar runs through, about 3.25 inches from the LE. I ran a 6x4 prop on mine before changing out to brushless and noticed slight gain in climb and ability to pull itself around.

Here's mine with the 6x4 on the stock motor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgz0RFI8_9M

I've since put a 2200kv motor from ebay 2212-6 and a 3s lipo, it's a rocket compared to before. IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

19. F-111A John

F-111A John Cadet

Is that a sock tied to the back of your Wild Hawk?

20. Durtbag

Durtbag Rookie

It's what's left of some toilet paper. Wanted to try some combat with my bro-in law and didn't have any crepe paper streamer and had to improvise.