Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Mini Foam Gliders

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by blaumph2cool, Aug 20, 2010.

1. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Ace Pilot

Ever since I did my scratch build my son has been begging me to make him an "airplane". So finally I took a few minutes to carve out a design on some 3mm depron.

After adding some weight to get the CG somewaht good it flys fairly well.
    This got me thinking about spending some more time on a good glider design that will fly more than ten feet.

Anyone out there experimented with gliders?

-Chris

Attached Files:

2. rcPhyco

rcPhyco Cadet

the wings should be really long with tape on the outside masking it so air can go over the wing surfaces better. and have a skinny, long, fuselage with swept back tail surfaces. have an airfoil just for lift no speed. the wing should be half down the fuselage and the tail should be kinda like the mig-15 tail section ya know.;)

hope this helps;)!!
  3. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Yes we have! Nice model btw! If you sign up with our membership software: http://www.rcpowers.com/amember.php?f35 (It's free) you can actually download the GLIDERS Pdf I made a few years ago. It includes plans to build a small F-5, F-22, and Su-35. Thanks!
  4. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Ace Pilot

Whoa Nice! thanks Scott.
  5. all4smallrc

all4smallrc Airman

There is some good advice in this, but I might point out a few observations. You're right about the long skinny wings, but it's far more complicated than that. The shape of the wings matters a lot too. And an airfoil that produces high lift is good, but a good speed airfoil is desireable too. A slick airfoil will make the plane slip through the air better. The ideal airfoil will have just the right ratio of lift to drag. Lift to drag ratios are VERY important with gliders. Believe it or not, you can actually have too much lift. When you get to a certain point, the wing make so much lift that it creates high drag which counter acts what you are trying to do (keep the plane airborn as long as possible). As for the fuselage, you actually are better off with a short, skinny fuselage rather than a long one. While further spacing between the main wing and the tail enhances stability, you have to consider that the fuselage is the part of the plane that actually can create the most drag! The smaller the fuselage, the better. However, you don't want to go so short that the plane looses stability either. For small gliders, a stick fuselage is ideal to use for its low surface area, and resulting low drag. And finally, the tail surfaces don't necessarily need to be swept back to have low drag. Once again, it's all about the shape to keep it aerodynamic. Here's an example of a hotliner design I made that has proven to have a very aerodynamic shape. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2790756 Hotliners are designed much like gliders because just like gliders, they need to be as slippery as possible to maximize efficiency. The only difference is that gliders aren't powered and they also have airfoils that create a bit more lift. Hotliners have super thin airfoils that have extremely low drag, but not necessarily high lift. I hope this is helpful to everyone who wants to learn more about gliders.
  6. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Ace Pilot

I made my Son a mini F-22 glider. doesn't fly real well right now so i need to play with the weight and CG.

Attached Files:

7. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

They're too light to be tossed for long. Like those styrofoam gliders you used to buy that had the plastic clip over the nose, you need to weight the nose and they'll fly much better. Try tapng a penny or two to the nose and you'll see what I mean.
  8. FlyingFoam

FlyingFoam Rookie

Are the glider pdfs still available?

The only one I can find is the X-31
  9. FlyingFoam

FlyingFoam Rookie

10. wheelbarrowjackson

wheelbarrowjackson Cadet

Most of the profile planes glide fine with no electronics and a little weight in the nose. I used a binder clip to glide my mangled Cheap-N-Easy. Just don't cut the control surfaces or pin them in place if they're already hinged.
  11. bobdabilduh55

bobdabilduh55 Top Gun

Only since I was about 12. Every RC plane i have designed or built from a PDF I first glide tested.
    See my you-tube channel "bobdaeronort".
    I had a six foot delta wing w/ canard I designed do about 50 feet on the first throw. It's a powered RC plane now. When I was a kid I built lifting body gliders.
  12. Flightman

Flightman Ace Pilot

Your plane needs longer wings, more nose weight, and larger tail surfaces.
  13. Michiel.

Michiel. Cadet

i can't find the pdfs too... :(
    this would be what i was always looking for, a mini F22 glider :p
  14. wheelbarrowjackson

wheelbarrowjackson Cadet

Why? I'm not sure who you're responding to.
  15. FlyingFoam

FlyingFoam Rookie

16. FlyingFoam

FlyingFoam Rookie

I found the plans but can't post a link without approval. I have tried twice
  17. squishy

squishy Top Gun

18. FlyingFoam

FlyingFoam Rookie

Well I have built a few of these and my little girl loves them. But I have been looking at the F-22 an was thinking of making it an Ultra-Micro. I have the 1/2 gram servos and the 3amp ESC and Brushless. I am going to start with elevons and work from there.
  19. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

As you have seen with the V2 plans, a floaty plane is easier to fly, but an Ultra-Micro verion would realy look cute. Post pics so we all can see it when you make it.
  20. MoTheG

MoTheG Airman

I don't understand.
    long?
    A tossed glider should have some weight but low frontal area.
    It should not have a high wing span, for mechanical reason.
    The airfoil needs to be thin and laminar like this.
    You can not compare a tossed glider for a kid with a slope glider, it is more like a paper plane.