Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

MicroJet V3

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by RCDestroyer, Jun 27, 2012.

1. RCDestroyer

RCDestroyer Cadet

I got the MicroJet combo from GRayson with the 20A ESC. I give it half throttle and the ESC just fries itself!! THey include it with the combo, why would it do that!! So anyways, i need a new ESC and i was thinking about getting the Grayson 50A w/3A BEC. THe ESC will get little aircooling and I'll be using a 5x5 APC prop. Will this work?
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I agree and if you look on ebay they have a 30 amp at $9 and occasionally you can get the rctimer 2212 /6 motor and esc combo for under $20. I really like grayson motors but when things are tough out there you gotta do what you gotta do. The rctimer motor actually works really well. Also very happy with heads up rc esc and zoom 400 motor.

Please visit my youtube channel :www.youtube.com/gstrysky
  3. RCDestroyer

RCDestroyer Cadet

But do you agree the 50A will work? I dont need to worry about weight because this project I'm working on doesnt fly. lol Are the GH ESC good quality?
  4. colorc

colorc Airman

the 50 amp will work, but having a 20amp fry at half throttle is odd. i flew mine with the included 20amp esc and never had it burn up. get really hot, yes. then upgraded to a 30.
    what size prop do you have on it? do you have access to a watt meter? i would be curious as to have many amps it is pulling. there could be something wrong with the motor.
  5. colorc

colorc Airman

since this thread is about the mjv3, i want to know if anyone out there has tested different brands of esc's with the grayson motors and which gave them the best performance.
  6. squishy

squishy Top Gun

get a 30amp Plush from HK, they are rock solid...
  7. crazypotatos

crazypotatos Cadet

Your going to want to get a new one from grayson though. Mine works fine. The first one I had smoked, so I sent it in, and after dealing with their horrible CS I got a new one 3 weeks later. You have to pay for shipping to them though which sucks since they sent you a defective product
  8. RCDestroyer

RCDestroyer Cadet

I tried the microjet with the GH 30A and the ESC just got warm. I ordered a Hurc 40A from HeadsUPRC because i didnt want to deal with GH anymore. When my ESC burnt, i was using a APC 6x4 prop. Now I'll be using either a APC 5x5 or a APC 6x4 trimmed to 5in.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Its not unusual at all for the 20 amp to fry with a healthy motor. It's happened to many here and I would say at some point almost everyone will purchased another brand. I only have 3 grayson left out of 8 escs. I have not had a problem with using hobbyking, heads up, turnigy trust, or exceed proton escs and grayson motors. But I will say that the exceed 60 amp proton really seems to work well temperature wise. My point about the motor /esc combo is that for the price of 1 replacement grayson esc you can get an rctimer conmbo. Got a problem with that?
  10. RCDestroyer

RCDestroyer Cadet

My Exceed 60A ESC works temps really well. But do you think my 40A will work the MJV3 good? THe Hurc ESC is exactly like the Exceed protons.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

RCDestroyer likes this.
  12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

They all will work, the hurc should do fine. With the mjv3 on a plane of course you want to minimize weight. Every oz counts. But you say you aren't flying it? I would confirm that the timing on the esc as on auto and has not accidentally been set to high. this may cause the mjv3 to get hot.

13. RCDestroyer

RCDestroyer Cadet

Yep, it's going on an airboat. Could i just set it to low timing?
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Low timing would be good . Airboat? Ohhh. Depending on size and weight, a bigger prop on 2s could work also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  15. Jeriah

Jeriah Ace Pilot

you might have something pluged in wrong cause my 20 amp esc worked fine
  16. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

I would like to know how much thrust you get on either one of the props. I've got a design in sketchup that will need a slightly smaller prop. Thanks.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

The 6x4 Prop gives 23 oz thrust and the 5x5 gives only 15 or something. I could not get a 17 oz mig 1.44 to fly on it.

1morecrash likes this.
  18. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

Thats what all the calculators are saying also. Its striking how much less thrust a 5.5x4 makes but I only need 18-20 oz. I may need to go to a higher kv motor or bite the bullet and scale it up.
  19. RCDestroyer

RCDestroyer Cadet

Nothing was plugged in wrong. I've been soldering ESCs for years! lol Just a low quality ESC as im concerned. For some reason, im nervious that the 40A wont work. But i have the SuperSonic on a 30A so i should be fine... hopefully. lol