Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Lipo Batteries in a Futaba Radio???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by flywmoi, Nov 29, 2010.

1. flywmoi

flywmoi Rookie

Can a Lipo Pack Battery (2600mAh 3s, 11.1v lipo Transmitter Battery Pack) destroy or hurt my Futaba T7C Radio....?

Lots of opinions, but does anyone know either yes or no for sure?

Thanks
  2. rodrigo

rodrigo Ace Pilot

sure, it can!!! two ways: over charge or inverted polarity... you need to be sure about polarity or you destroy your radio.... same thing about voltage, don´t charge over 11.6V (3,8V per cell) use a lipo balacer to check this or a good charger with cell voltage display like thunder AC6

I use a small 3s 1100mah 10C battery without any problem, but check the voltage and polarity 2 times before turning on . About 4 hours of continuous operation with only 15min charge time... remarkable!

I´ll buy this battery soon because it has lower discharge rate (only 3C)
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7346

don´t over discharge your lipo
  3. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

i use a 3s transmitter pack for my 6EX and fully charge it and have never had a problem...
  4. rodrigo

rodrigo Ace Pilot

maybe you are right but I have read enough about that and 1 in 50 (or more) people had problems with a full load...I prefer not to take risks
    from hobbyking post:
    "Customer (14)
    Burnt out half of my Optic 6 display.
    Left it on one time and it killed the battery."
    "Customer (45)
    I ve charged to 12,6V and my DX7 worked fine in the first day... but in the second day DX7 was DEAD, no reply by turn on buttom, no information on screen. Very bad... I open DX7 and the internal glass fuse was open, fortunatelly! I replace the 0.3A 250V fuse but it has melt again. then Now I?m charging the Lipo on STORAGE mode in Turnigy charger, allowing the LIpo reaches max 11,4V (same level of old NImH battery from DX7).Hope no more surprise. "
  5. JettaManDan

i have 3s packs in both my 6EX and my DX7 and never had a problem with either Tx in over a year...
  6. owenh

owenh Rookie

am well i have used a 3c in a simmilar transmitter that that and fine just dont do the obvios like over charging and going below 3.2v a cell that you be flying (literally) XD
  7. kaptondave

kaptondave Rookie

I use Hobby King's Lipo transmitter pack in my Futaba 6EX and have had no problem, but there are no guarantees. A charge seems to last forever.
  8. JettaManDan

i have the Turnigy 1450 pack in my 6EX and it lasts for about 2 months of use before i think of charging it...
  9. flywmoi

flywmoi Rookie

I have the (Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software) so how would I restrict the charge amount to not go over 11.6v? When I charge up the TX pack it reaches about 12.4 or 12.6v and that is what is displayed on my radio...

Someone said they charge their tx pack on storage function, I can do that, but can someone explain how and when I would need to disconnect the lipo.

Thanks
  10. JettaManDan

the AC6 has a battery charging stop button..the red one..when you are charging..if you hit the green button after starting your lipo balance charge it will display the voltage of each cell..just stop it when it hits like 3.9 or 4.0 volts per cell if you are worried...i just go to a full 4.2 per and don't worry about it...
  11. rodrigo

rodrigo Ace Pilot

good debate whether this or not exceed 11.6V...
    anyway, I confess that I am a coward and do not want to take risks with my old generation Futaba 8U.... If you take this option, simply charge your battery (lipo balance program) and when the charging 3.92V mark, press the red button to stop charging .... I use my lipo cell indicator (dualsky) to check the voltage, always is near 0,10V lower than the AC6 indicate...
    if you forget stop the program, go to discharge option and define 11.7V as discharge level.
    One time I used my lipo with 11.9 and had no problems, but I like to reach only 11,6-11,7
  12. JettaManDan

with an older radio you may be right about not exceeding the voltage it can handle..my 6EX and my DX7 are pretty new designs..so think they can take it with no issue...but if the radio is 4-5 years old or more than yeah i would limit what you put into it for safety...
  13. SCALLAN

SCALLAN Cadet

No problem,
    Usually TX packs are 1c, but it will still work. TX have an input voltage range, and it will only pull the amps it needs.
    I wouldn't sugget trying a 2s or 4s, but you can use a 3s for a month or two between charges
  14. rodrigo

rodrigo Ace Pilot

I think 4s lipo for tx is a suicide....too much voltage
    3s is ok
  15. kaptondave

kaptondave Rookie

I don't understand what you mean by the "1c" bit. What is 1c?

The OEM battery pack on my Futaba is an 8-cell NiMH with a nominal voltage of 8*1.2 = 9.6, but when fully charged that pack puts out around 10.2volts. I have found nothing in the Futaba specs that says what the safe input voltage range is. I think I will give them a call tomorrow and ask.
  16. SCALLAN

SCALLAN Cadet

I fly almost every day. I fly so much that NiCad TX packs slow me down. I switched to LiPo in my Futaba products more than a year ago and have never had a problem, so I know for sure. I just tested it again for you this AM for 20 more min. I use the Futabe 7C and 10C CAG. I looked again, its a 3c, not a 1c battery. ( opps )
    C is the discharge rating, your used to seing numbers like 15c and 20c and 30c, well 3c is a lot less.

3c pack = slower charge. There are no heavy wires on this pack, just and extra lead with a JR/Futaba style servo connection to plug into my TX, so I charge at 1.0 Amp
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=6955
    See the reviews, there are 100's of people with all different TX's that it works great with. Just confirm the + and - positions just to be safe or if your using a non Futaba TX. Skip the storage charge settings in my option; they are being over-causious .

If several battery manufactures are selling FUTABA TX packs with the FUTABA connection; it's safe to assume that Zippy and Rino have done the research for you. My TX says 12.5v after i charge it, and I don't mess with it until it drops below 11V. I fly with a lot of Futaba pilots, never heard of a problem. I've also helped people do this with spectrum TX.

At the same time, I don't expect Futaba to suggest you use someone else's product with their equipment. But it works and has been tested & proven by the user base time and again. People even solder on a JR connector on to their battery terminals to convert those spectrums TX to use these Lipo packs.

Attached Files:

17. JettaManDan

yeah i use the 1c transmitter packs only in both my radios...both show about 12.5v on the radio's when charged..and i don't mess with them either until they drop to 11v or so...i had the same problem as Scallan..i would fly so much in one day my sad Nicad packs would be drained before i was done..a 600mah pack is useless....it would be done in about 45 minutes max...the 1450 3s lipo in my 6EX lasts for at least 6-8 hours of constant use or on and off use..the 2600mah 3s pack i have in my DX7 lasts forever...my cousin was using my radio for Phoenix sim...used it for about 3 hours..then left the radio on overnight..only about 10 hours later did the low battery alarm on the radio go of..and i had used the radio for a few hours the few wekeends before..i'd say you'd get at least 12-14 hours of constant use out of that pack..it's teriffic...