Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Kf airfoil or wing shaping?

Discussion in 'Everything Scratchbuild (Questions & Chit-Chat)' started by wingman94, Jan 25, 2011.

1. wingman94

wingman94 Cadet

I need to build a new high wing plane and I was thinking a pod and boom plane would be easiest. I need a plane that goes a little slower than the parkjets so I thought I would build something with lift. Would a kf airfoil work on a high wing plane? I've only seen them on jets. Also, would you recommend curving the wing? I read somewhere that those don't like to go inverted though.
    Thanks
  2. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

If you do an undercamber (curved wing) it is true it will not like inverted at all...cannot be flown inverted really....so your only 2 choices are a Kfm style wing or try to actually shape an airfoil what you can do is do a curved top wing plate..and then glue it to a flat bottom to make a upper airfoil....probably would need cross ribs for strength...

attached is the Kfm airfoil "cheat sheet" so you can see what you can make...

Dan

Attached Files:

3. wingman94

wingman94 Cadet

Thanks! i might try the kfm2
  4. JettaManDan

if you are looking at good inverted performance i'd go Kfm-4 - it gives you more stability and equal lift top and bottom...if you are just doing rolls than the Kfm-2 is fine...but if you want to fly upside down then that will give you a high negative angle of attack to stay up inverted...
  5. Dredogol

Dredogol M0DERATOR - (aka "Dred")

For your wing plane design, I would go with KFm-2.
    You could try #3... but I doubt you'll need it.

Jetta is correct on all the other stuff.
    Make sure to read the thickness + step chord distances... those are crucial.

It's pretty hard to do a curved wing shape that WORKS correctly.
    If you go this route... be prepared for a lot of trial/error.
  6. rodrigo

rodrigo Ace Pilot

the KF2 airfoil works great in my C119 (upper wing) WS93cm, 18cm chord
    Lot of lift, strength and flight gentle.. I flew inverted but not for too long because I don´t have to much practice...the plane responded great ,straight and level( a little elevator input )
    Anyway, I don´t know if the upper wing are good for inverted flight, so I do not know whether it would recommend a KF4
  7. JettaManDan

if i have the ability later i'll do a short vid on bending depron with heat...an undercamber wing is good for a slow high wing trainer...and you can use the technique to make an airfoil top wing with a flat bottom glued on...