Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Insulfoam from Home Depot?

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by flywmoi, Aug 30, 2010.

1. flywmoi

flywmoi Rookie

Has anyone ever used this type of Foam before? I bought a sheet from our local home depot in CA, it is 1/2" thick = 12.7MM I think? Can it be used to make a F-22 Raptor?

Thoughts and Ideas are welcomed please.....

Here is the actual website for the Insulfoam:
    http://www.insulfoam.com/
  2. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

3. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

it can work..but will be very heavy..and you will need to shape the edges..too much vertical surface to work with if you leave it unmolded...most planes are made out of 6mm or 9mm...12mm is a bit thick for this stuff..and your slots and joints will not line up right from the original plans
  4. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

I seriously suggest the blue core from lowes. If you get the home depot equivalent it will be pink.
  5. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Ace Pilot

Do NOT use the Insulfoam. like others have said it's a little on the heavy side and a Real pain to cut/work with.
  6. You can buy 9mm pink panther foam at home depot. I built a few planes out of it and it's no heavier than depron.( maybe a little ) but you do wanna bevel all the edges because it has alot of drag.
  7. flywmoi

flywmoi Rookie

Thanks

Thank you everyone... my local HD does not carry any other foam. It is just this thick stuff. I will call Lowes, maybe they have it. Can someone tell me what is the name to look for at Lowes? What do they call it and what is the dimensions, ie thickness and SQ Feet.

thanks again
  8. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Blue Core... Its 1/4 inch blue core insulation foam.
  9. slick8086

slick8086 Rookie

I've been looking for blue core or equivalent foam (1/4" - 6mm) in the Sacramento CA area for over a year. It seem that it used to be available here but not any longer. I've even called Dow and there are no distributors that carry it in CA. I think California building codes must have changed so this product is no longer used here. The Home Depot by me has thicker foams, but no fan fold foams at all.
  10. VallieJean

VallieJean Cadet

yeah that's what our original kits were made from (ie: F22's fuselage) but it's a bother to cut unless you have a hotwire, and even then it still must be sanded. however, it would only be for the fuse not the whole thing, 6mm depron is best.
  11. SkyHigh

SkyHigh Rookie

Apparently im not the only one having trouble finding the 1/4 inch fan fold foam at Lowes and home depot. My solution was to build a hot wire foam cutter that slices the thicker foam into 1/4 inch sheets. Built a power supply like one here DIY Hot wire foam cutter power supply. I built a jig that has guides on the sides that when the wire is sitting on it is 1/4 of an inch + or- 1/16-1/8 of an inch tall. After seeing people on youtube cutting some amazing air foils out of it using a gravity cutter, I built my own and it works great. I bought 1 sheet of 1 inch pink foam from the HD and after trial and error I got some pretty good cuts and about eight 1/4 inch 48x 27.5 sheets. I will post some pics if I can in my original post about "sliced pink foam". I did it ghetto and used a 10 gauge guitar string which is about 28 AGW with a 36inch bow. Only thing is that have never handled depron or fan fold foam so I cant compare if the slices are weaker or the same thing. Now I just have to build a plane with it.
  12. williamsyorks

williamsyorks Rookie

The Department of horticulture Centre store offers a wide range of gardening products that will meet the needs of every home gardening enthusiast. Home Depot carries a vast inventory of gardening equipment such as mowers, CULTIVATORS, clippers and tillers.
  13. Royalson

Royalson Rookie

Go on Lowe's web page and order the fan fold foam. Put in your zip code to find the nearest store and they will deliver it to that store or your home. It will take about a week to get in. Plenty of foam to build with.
  14. hottwings69

hottwings69 Rookie

A lot of distributors like Lowes dont know it as bluecore foam, they change the name often as they get it from different manufacturers. It is most comonly known as fan fold foam, Lowes, home depot, and 84 lumber all carry it, Lowes being the least expensive of the three. Dollar store foamboard or dollar tree foamboard also work just as well if not better as they have a paper covering that gives it some more rigidity. It will all glue the same.
  15. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

If you just glue to the paper on Dollar store foamboard, the paper comes off in flight; I always take the paper off.
  16. B58F18

B58F18 Rookie

I went onto Lowes web page and can not find the blue cor/ fan fold foam anywhere! Can you link me or tell me where to look for it?
  17. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

18. reinitz001

reinitz001 Airman

The technical name for blue-core or the pink foam is Extruded Polystyrene. If you search for Extruded Polystyrene it wont matter who makes it just as long as its the thickness your looking for. Make sure you don't get Expanded Polystyrene, that's that white bubbly packing foam that's impossible to work with.

I live in NY and the lowes by me carries the blue stuff in 1/4", 1/2", 1", and 2" thicknesses. The 1/4" comes in a giant 4'X50' sheet all folded up (hence the name fan fold foam), the other varieties come in 8 foot long sheets either 2 or 4 feet wide.