Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

How to transfer plans onto Depron and cut out parts?

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by Cunningbaldrick, Jul 29, 2011.

1. rcfoamfly

rcfoamfly Airman

Hi Guys. I am a complete novice at this and this is my first attempt at a Depron plane. I have the sheets of Depron ready. I have all the parts cut out from the plan. Whats the easiest most accurate way of cutting the individual parts from the plans. Do you recomment sticky taping the papaer part outline onto the depron and cutting around the outline or with a pen, draw the outline from the papaer part outline. Hmmmmmmmmmm. If my mind dfrfts i will end up cutting out a Banana and not a F18 ;). cHEERS FROM AUSTRALIA
  2. erajomppa

erajomppa Ace Pilot

I just printed the plans on paper, put the paper where I wanted on the depron and put some tape in the corners (on big parts, some on the middle) and just cut it though the paper. I know there are some better ways, and when Im actully going to make one of these RCPowers plans, Im going to probably trace the lines onto the depron directly. Since they are so well made I want to make sure I cut them properly. But so far I have cut two profile planes like that and it works for me.
  3. kaptondave

kaptondave Rookie

I cut out the parts andtape them to the Depron, then cut with an Xacto knife. The most important thing is to use a clean sharp blade. Buy a pack of them and change them often - as soon as you feel it beginning to drag as you make the cut. The best cutting surface is a dress-maker's cutting board because that will not dull the blade, but the boards are expensive. A good alternative is MDF. To keep the edges straight use a metal ruler as a guide. Be as precise as you can when cutting tabs and slots so that you get a good fit.
  4. Mertz42

Mertz42 Cadet

I don't like to waste depron so I print out the plans, cut them out and then lay out the pieces on the depron sheet. I can get 1 regular size f22 from 1 sheet of depron. I also combine the pieces when it maks sense.like the 4 pieces that make up the wing area of the f22. I make it 1 large piece. Its stronger and reduces glue. After I fly the plane and I like it I then make templates out of poster board for easier use later on.

Guy
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I cut the patterns with scissors to get it close, lay them out on depron, then use staples top hold the patterns down on the depron. I use 2 or 3 per pattern depending on size. This way its easy to reposition or remove the paper. The staples are standard staples and you can't even see the hole. I tried thumb tacks but they are thicker and work loose. Fresh blades are important And the mini utility knives work well too. You just snap offers a new blade tip when needed.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.
  6. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

i use pins to hold the plans to the depron and then use a sharp snap blade knife to cut them out..pins come out and you are done. And of course the pins are reusable and leave no marks on the foam like tape can. Works great for me. I use those thin pins with the plastci head like you see being used on a map to mark out locations of fast food restaurants and such ;)

you can kinda see the pins in this pic when i was building my B-2 a few years ago..

[​IMG]

Dan
  7. archie

archie Cadet

I used to use pins but they leave holes in the foam and sometimes come out and make it hard to get the shape completely accurate, but I have recently changed to using masking tape that seems to do the job and only leaves a small mark on grey depron. I find it much easier to place and remove the tape and it is quicker too.
  8. Grey

Grey Ace Pilot

Cheap spray adhesive from the craft store is what I use.

Just spray the back of the paper lightly and stick it to the foam. Spraying the paper means that almost no glue is left on the foam once you remove it.

The crappier the glue the better. My local craft store loves me because I'm buying spray glue that doesn't really work, it just lets go once it's dry. The plane is never sticky afterwards and they are getting rid of spray glue they don't dare recommend to anyone else.

It holds the plan in place well, doesn't leave holes or sticky stuff on the rest of the foam, and you can re-use the plan after you've cut everything out. Just lightly spray the back of the paper cutouts again and stick them onto a new piece of foam.
    ScottLott likes this.
  9. kaptain_zero

kaptain_zero Cadet

If I can imagine making a plane more than once or even twice, I'll take the time to make patterns. I print out the drawings once, glue them to either 1/4" hardboard from Home Depot or even foam core from places like the Dollar Tree or Dollarama in Canada. The hardboard patterns will last forever, the foam core.... plenty long. Use a few T pins if you want the pattern to stay in place as you trace around.

Regards

Kaptain "Print drawings once, make many planes afterwards" Zero
  10. Grey

Grey Ace Pilot

I am Captain Zero
    The original super hero

I'm a supernatural man!

Sorry, Saw Kaptain_zero's name and couldn't resist... Love that song for some reason.
  11. rcfoamfly

rcfoamfly Airman

Thanks to all the above for the great help.

Do you guys in the USA know that a sheet of 6mm Depron 1200 x 800 mm costs nearly $50US in Australia!!!! Anyone in California..........just put in a big battery, point the plane to Queensland Australia , throw the plane, allow 2 days and send me an email and i will go down to the beach and pick up the depron...........might be a cheaper way of getting Depron into OZ.

Make sure it doesnt overfly Guam!

Cheers from the Land of OZ
  12. Alamedaflyer

Alamedaflyer Rookie

13. Alamedaflyer

Alamedaflyer Rookie

What brand spray glue?
  14. sukhoi69

sukhoi69 Cadet

Hey mate, Here in Australia Depron can be hard to get and expensive. My LHS has it for $15 a sheet, if you google Depron Australia and contact them you can get for $12 a sheet $220 a box of 20 is what it costs me here in Queensland delivered from Perth.Depends on your budget though, the way I look at a good ARF parkflyer here is $200 up and you get lot of planes out of 20 sheets of Depron. They do sell half cartons but it works out more expensive per sheet. As for the plans there is lots of ways as mentioned, Me I like to glue my plans onto thin cardboard with a glue stick then cut them out with a steel ruler and a blade then trace around them onto the foam. Yes it takes a bit more time but I can rearrange the parts or trace smaller parts onto left over Depron to make it go further. Also then I have a set of templates if I need a spare part or build another.
  15. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

I do this for the RCPowers planes, but I never re-use patterns or paper. If I want to build 2 of the same plan, I have the plans printed twice.

When I did make patterns to "last" I used the same method (Glueing down with spray glue), except I printed the plans onto cardstock.
  16. farside

farside Airman

I am having the PDF plans printed, cutting out each detail leaving some extra paper around all edges, gluing detail to poster board, cutting the template out right on the design lines, pin to foam, outline with a fine point ball point pin, then cut by FREE HAND the detail out and do not have to use the straight edge.

Sounds lengthy, but the pattern can be used over and over. This is also an easy way to do your KF2 and KF4 airfoils and put them aside until you are ready to use them.

Denny
  17. iflyhinlo

iflyhinlo Cadet

Hi. One way is to attach the print to the foam, then use an inkpen and ruler and trace the print. That leaves an impression in the foam you can follow and cut. That way you can reuse the print. Works for me.
  18. poplharris

poplharris Ace Pilot

Good stuff. I reuse my plans too. Iv built dozens of planes and have never printed any patterns more than once. Ill tape them down in a couple of strategic places and then using my steel ruler trace around the pattern. Iv gotten to where Ill only trace around the corners and cut corner to corner making sure to cut on the inside of the line. Im very picky when cutting my planes out and couldnt imagine doing it any other way. Altho it would probably be good for me if I did.
    thanks
    Don, a nervous wreck
  19. Redshirt

Redshirt Cadet

Ive been pondering a reusable method by way of cutting MDF board to the plans once, then storing the wood pieces to trace and cut the foam from. MDF is cheap. $8 for a 4 foot x 8 foot sheet. Just need to practice my jigsaw skills. :)
  20. Alamedaflyer

Alamedaflyer Rookie

Sounds good. I have been looking a wood working shops who have cnc machines to cut out the parts. Would make it a lot easier for my son to cut out.