Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

how to make ailerons works has flaps

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by dnutz0002, Dec 9, 2010.

1. dnutz0002

dnutz0002 Rookie

hey i am still new to flying and i am having trouble landing due to coming in to hot. my plane is a nitro plane skytrainer cessna but it does not have flaps. i saw a video of a guy whos plane had ailerons and was able to make them work as flaps as well as ailerons. would really like to know how to do this because i do not trust myself to cut the wings to make flaps. thanks. i am using a dx6i transmitter with a spectrum AR6200 reciever.

sky trainer.jpg
  2. rodrigo

rodrigo Ace Pilot

too easy guy!!! you need independent servos for each aileron (one left and one right).
    First: connect the right servo to aileron channel (maybe ch1?) and the left servo to flap channel (channel 6 or 5)...
    second: program your tx in wing type DUAL AILERON program (read pages 43 to 47)...
    third: adjust the flaps position : normal flap = 0 elevator =0 / land flap+30 (- if the flap moves up) elevator=0 (page 68-69) you can use a inverted value for elevator to make a simple airbrake (flaps down elevator up, but try this setup in a secure altitude and with lower mix values... be careful!!
    thats all!!
    if the right aileron don´t move when you hit the flap switch you will need to program a custom mix where ch6 (flap ) is master and channel 1 (aileron) is the slave... mix value -100% (page 70-73)because they need to move in the same way

good luck
  3. dnutz0002

dnutz0002 Rookie

thanks alot i will try this, i really appreaciate your time. i just hope that i can figure it out.
  4. aronph

aronph Rookie

good post-i did this with my PZ extra-i have two position flaperons because i have a dx7-i also made a mix for spoilerons-both ailerons go UP-so i have stearable ailerons in all 4 positions-spoilerons up, regular flight, flaperons pos 1 down for short takeoff,and flaperons pos 2 down farther for landing-its neat-now if i can just figure out the delta tail split elevator thing......
  5. rodrigo

rodrigo Ace Pilot

still do not understand what you mean "tail split elevator thing"...
    why don´t you post a photo, draw or something like that?
  6. aronph

aronph Rookie

i think ill try that-it sounds like you know what im tryin to do
  7. aronph

aronph Rookie

ill post it on the other thread
  8. Keegles

Keegles Rookie

In more plain English;

You need a servo per aileron.
    Plug one servo into ail channel
    Plug the other into AUX
    Go into the transmitter settings and select wing mixing. Select flap.

This is where the headache starts. You will find that they're all messed up, may work both in the same direction, wrong direction, or when you flip the flap switch it flips it the wrong direction to spoilerons instead.

Few ways to help fight through it;

Reverse one or both of the channels. If that doesn't work, unplug the servos from the receiver and swap them and repeat reversing channels until it works properly.

Easiest way to make sure your ailerons are deflecting the proper way;
    Right input makes right aileron (as you would sit in the plane) go up.
  9. rodrigo

rodrigo Ace Pilot

to avoid this mess, just connect right servo aileron to aileron channel and the left to the flap channel , make it work independently(move the stick,reverse the direction if is necesary , hit the flap switch and reverse if is in the wrong direction) and only after that , activate the DUAL AiLERON function....
  10. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Onboard mixing can be a headache sometimes, you could use a v-tail/elevon mixer instead.
  11. beemerdon

beemerdon Rookie

Thanks for asking this question; I had been wanting to try flaps on a new plane I built but didn't know how to go about it. Went down to the garage just now and in under ten minutes I have 30% flaps! Great forum!

Don