How can you tell if you burned out your esc or motor?

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by lewee, Jun 27, 2010.

1. lewee

lewee Rookie

I was setting up my first scratch built and for safety I took off one of the power connections to the motor. So I wanted to see if the motor would turn .Well that started the ESC to smoke.I shut it off fast. After it cooled I connected the third wire,tried it and the motor just kinda sputtered a bit and started to smoke too.I checked with a volt meter to see how much power was coming out of the ESC and it said 11 volts. Does anyone know if I burned out the motor or the ESC ? CRAP... I wanted to get it going........Thanks for any help.

2. Sonicjet

Sonicjet Rookie

Both,it seems that your motor was fried as the sputtering does not cause any additional draw,and with the smoke is your ESC.
    I can Guarantee the ESC being dead,the motor not so much.

3. SCALLAN

SCALLAN Cadet

Smoked an ESC

If you hook up your battery to your ESC the wrong way (backwards) , it will short out.

I think thats what happen here..

4. lewee

lewee Rookie

Well I put 8.1 volts to the motor and it still just kinda jerks a bit, with no rotation at all. What eats my liver is the motor comes with NO instructions from Grayson hobby. What`s with that? At first when I hooked up the motor it all worked fine but while I was doing a final taping of the wires to the plane ,I pulled the yellow wire off going to the motor. When I hit the power to the motor,with the yellow wire off, it smoked. Is there a video on this forum that shows you how to hook up specifically a Grayson disposable motor? Hey thanks for every one`s help.

5. kaptondave

kaptondave Rookie

You cannot apply battery voltage directly to the motor. If you did that it is probably fried for sure. All brushless motors must be connected to the battery through an ESC.

Regarding another comment you made about measuring the voltage from the ESC; you can not get any meaningful information by measureing the output of an ESC with a voltmeter. The output is pulsed, not a steady DC voltage.

As to instructions, I have never bought a motor that came with them so don't badmouth Grayson for that. There is only one way to wire one and that is to connect the three wires, in any order, to the three wires from the ESC. There is no wrong way to do that (except to leave some of the wires off). If you connect it and find that the motor turns the wrong way you simply reverse any two if the three wires. I have bought ESCs that have instructions, so perhaps yours did also.

6. kevinm

kevinm Rookie

being pulsed, i believe the esc output is actually AC to the motor- that makes the esc a DC to AC inverter---- household AC pulses at 60 cycles per second , our ESCs run at many times that, pretty amazing -- the esc actually knows how fast the BL is spinning and acts accordingly-- the BL and esc are constantly "talking"

7. kevinm

kevinm Rookie

the sellers of my esc have changed their tune as to the input volts- it used to be advertised as 22V max - now this - (still a awesome unit for my WHs, plug n play no muss no fuss just 3S max)

http://cgi.ebay.com/30A-Brushless-Motor-Speed-Controller-RC-ESC-Parts-Y-/150460714741?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2308284ef5
    heres what looks to be an identical model and theyre saying 6-18 volts max
    http://cgi.ebay.com/5000-Helicopter...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230828592f

8. kevinm

kevinm Rookie

9. kevinm

kevinm Rookie

one way to tell the motor is destroyed from putting battery voltage to two or three of its inputs is a plume of multicolored smoke, then maybe some sparks out of it , tho im just guessing

10. lewee

lewee Rookie

Thanks Mr Kevinm

11. kevinm

kevinm Rookie