Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

FMS on windows 7?

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by chachaya, Dec 11, 2009.

1. chachaya

chachaya Cadet

Im sorry for posting another thread about an FMS problem, but all i could find was stuff about it running on vista.

I got a new laptop with windows 7 and I want to run FMS on here. Is anyone else using it on windows 7?
  2. chachaya

chachaya Cadet

I googled FMS not working on vista and they said you have to download the file "D3DRM.DLL" So I did that and put it in C:/Windows/System32 and FMS still does not work.

so ya....
  3. Keegles

Keegles Rookie

I had no luck so I gave up and put it on my laptop with xp.
  4. kaiser10951

kaiser10951 Rookie

Working win 7 FMS

There is indeed a working version of FMS for Windows 7 (cannot say anything regarding vista as I have not tested it) that I found a while ago. I believe I found the link to this via the FMS forums but I cannot remember. The file is large due to having a massive number of models included. If I remember correctly this version works by including that missing .DLL file and a registry fix. As far as my security software can tell it is completely clean and I hav e been playing with it for almost a week just fine. You will need a compression tool that can decompress split volumes like Winrar. It may give an error during decompression but if you ignore it and allow it to finish it will come out just fine.
    Here is the link: http://cid-b2a7867cce931929.skydriv...apes And Models^6/FMS 2.0 Alpha 8.5.part1.rar
  5. ggunners1320

ggunners1320 Cadet

Same problems with Win7 as Vista and WinXP. No changes to the code.

Check out the "FMS" forum and "Windows" section.

-- ggunners
  6. chachaya

chachaya Cadet

I downloaded winrar and part 1 of FMS but it said i needed to choose a program to run it on. Do you have to download all of the parts and how did you get it working (what program did you run it on...?)

thanks
  7. kaiser10951

kaiser10951 Rookie

Yes, you will need to download all parts of it. When you have downloaded all six parts right click on the first and extract. As I said it should give an error but it will continue to extract, just ignore that warning and let it extract fully. I can put up picture instructions if they are needed. One thing to note is that you will need to keep that installer file, it seems to need it after installation for some reason. I moved it to recyc bin and when I tried to fire it up it wanted the file and after I restored the installer it played fine.
    It is really annoying to have to go to all this work to get FMS to play, if my desktop had not died and left me with just my netbook, I would be playing this under an XP virtual machine..... so much easier:blushes:
  8. chachaya

chachaya Cadet

9. chachaya

chachaya Cadet

i finally got around to using this new FMS and it is great. I love all the models. Before I had a lot but it would have taken way too long to get them all on this computer. I really cannot thank you enough for sending me that link. This is fantastic. I love trying out all these planes. TY TY TY TY TY TY

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  10. lowkeylaidback

lowkeylaidback Cadet

Works on System 7 with the exact same fix file as Vista, place the file in both System 32 and System, it will work.
    You already know it is not working in System 32, cut and paste the file in System. Restart the app and presto.
    I just copied it in both and never went back and cleaned up the one I did not need.
  11. fleck

fleck Rookie

Tried all this and still no good

Whether I load this via the CD or the link below I get the screen to open but it just flickers really fast in a small window. if I click on files I can see and hear planes and copters but can't run the program.
  12. lowkeylaidback

lowkeylaidback Cadet

It will not run well on Nvida video cards
  13. Argonath

Argonath Ace Pilot

I'm running an nvidia chipset card and it works just fine. The issue with the nvidia chipsets usually always boils down to the driver installed.

Some driver versions just don't work with some software for whatever reason. Usually DL-ing a more recent driver or a generic driver will allow it to work (Although not always).

I'm running an ASUS PCIE GF8 EN8400GS 512M SILENT V2 on the machine I have FMS installed on with Windows XP and it works just fine.
  14. Airdoo

Airdoo Rookie

I had the same problem disable Textures, Graphic->Textures and it should be fine.
  15. all4smallrc

all4smallrc Airman

I've been trying to get FMS to run on Windows 7 64 bit. I downloaded those six .rar files, extracted the first one with IZArc, and it came up with two errors (which apparently is normal?). It still doesn't work though. Is there a specific place I'm supposed to put the files? I tried just leaving them in my downloads folder as well as putting them in the FMS folder. Neither one worked. Can I get some help?
  16. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Ace Pilot

Yeo, I get the same with Win7 64bit.

I pretty much bagged the whole FMS thing. I using a sim called Reflex XTR.
  17. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

There is a fix..working fine on my 64 bit setup...go to the FMS forums..there is a link there somewhere for the patches to make it work...needs a .dll file and an active x patch i think..
  18. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

I have FMS on Win7 as well. I use a registry fix called "fms-ecomport-fix", (link on the FMS forum) but I have to run it every time I go to boot up FMS. It also helps to execute the FMS file in both "administrator" mode and "compatability" mode for WinXP. That way, 7 "pretends" you're using XP and plays MUCH nicer. In the end though, RC Desk Pilot, Heli Sim RC, and ClearView are way more fun - especially for helis.
  19. jordan99

jordan99 Cadet

I used 'RC Desktop Pilot' on my Windows7. It's free. Like it a lot better than FMS.. better graphics, landscape, etc.. except that you might have fewer planes choices.

http://rcdeskpilot.com/download
  20. all4smallrc

all4smallrc Airman

I do use RCDP. The flight physics aren't as accurate though. That goes especially for 3D and helis.