F-104 Starfighter build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by dsoleil, Aug 18, 2013.

1. dsoleil

dsoleil Ace Pilot

Hey All,

I spent the weekend with my dad showing him all the RCP airplanes I've built. He said his favorite jet as a kid was the F-104 Starfighter.

Here's a pic...

The wing platform looks a lot like the F-18. I was thinking of making an F-104 for my dad using the my F-18 v3 plan as the basic platform and start tweaking things from there.

My question for the expert builders: what tips or thoughts do you have in creating a single stab in the back with the high wing?

I know it won't be a perfect build the first time out, but I at least want to give it the best shot I can to make it functional.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
    Dave

2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Dave -

Quick search over on parkjets.com and there are F104 plans out there and a thread on RC Groups, looks like a pusher with the motor rear mounted. The plans are not what you are used to here at RC Powers, but if you are looking for a challenge, it looks pretty cool and might be easier to start with that than trying to "frankenstein" another plan.

Plans are here http://www.parkjets.com/f104/

RC Groups thread is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549048

Always feels good to build a plane dedicated to someone, means a little extra to me anyway.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Scott

dsoleil likes this.
  3. dsoleil

dsoleil Ace Pilot

Thanks Scott! I appreciate the help...

4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

No problem! parkjets.com is a great place to find plans for all different kinds of planes not normally available through RC Powers or FRC Foamies (although FRC Foamies has been rocking it pretty good with their plans there lately). I have a semi profile F4 Phantom that I need to get finished and in the air soon.

Cheers,

Scott