Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Esc not working :(

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by Jeriah, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Jeriah

Jeriah Ace Pilot

I bought a 60 A esc with a 4 A bec! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16892__Hobby_King_60A_ESC_4A_UBEC.html the only problem is... It don't work. I resoldered, tried different motors and batteries with it and it still doesn't work. it powers the receiver and servos but the motor doesn't respond. it tried setting the throttle end points but still no power to the motor. Anyone know what's wrong?
  2. Jeriah

Jeriah Ace Pilot

Has anyone has this problem with this esc or is it a manufacture error
  3. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

Did you connect all 3 wires from the ESC to the motor?
    Are the connectors soldered correctly? You already resoldered them
    Is the ESC pluged into the receiver backwards? If the servos work, it's pluged in right
    Did the motor jump when you pluge the battery in?
    Are you sure the motor is good? You already fryed another motor
  4. Jeriah

Jeriah Ace Pilot

yes
    yes
    no
    no
    double yes

i resoldered like i said and the connections are rally good really good!!!!
    its the mega jet and it works perfectly fine i was flying it today with another esc.
    I can move my control surfaces but the motor jut beeps then nothing happens
  5. squishy

squishy Top Gun

try reversing the throttle chan in the TX
  6. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

IF the throttle channel in the TX were reversed, the motor should still jump when you plug the battery in. I could be wrong; it's worth checking just because squishy suggested it, he knows his stuff.

I think the receiver is pluged in correctly also, because you said the servos work, which means the BEC is functioning. But just in case, this is the way. >> ON THE RECEIVER THE CONTROL (white or yellow) WIRE GOES TOWARD THE MIDDLE, AND THE GROUND (black) WIRE GOES ON THE OUTSIDE EDGE. If you take the cover off of the receiver and look on the board where the connectors plug into, you will see all of the outside edge pins (black) are on one line, and all of the middle pins (red) are also connected together. The inside pins (signal) each have their own control circuit. The receiver does not provide power, it only provides a terminal where you can connect to the power.

The ESC with a on-board BEC are two separate devices connected together as one unit:
    When you have a ESC with a on-board BEC, one can be bad while the other works fine. It sounds like the ESC portion of this unit is bad. You didn't miss anything in your troubleshooting: great job !!!
  7. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

Does the motor have power from the ESC ? :
    There is a good reason why the motor should jump when you plug the battery in. But that it not the best test. If the motor has power to it , it should be a lot more difficult to turn, and it should buzz some while you are trying to turn it.

The ESC controls the speed of an AC motor with frequency, not voltage. If you plug an 11.1 volt battery into your ESC, you have 11.1 volts going to the motor with the full amperage potential of the battery backing that voltage. The speed of the motor has nothing to do with voltage or amps, but instead the timing of the current fed into it. By increasing and decreasing the wave length (frequency) of the trapezoidal wave on the 3 phases, the ESC causes the motor to spin faster and slower. Now that you know how it works, it's easy to test.

The ESC test:
    1. With no power, Turn the "known good" motor with you finger.
    2. Now plug "known good charged" battery into the ESC that is connected to your motor
    3. Try to Turn the motor again
    4. if both times you turn the motor feels the same, the power circuit in the ESC is bad.
    5. if the second turn is more difficult, connect it into a "known good" receiver (radeo system) with "known good" power running to it.
    6. Test the throttle; if it works, the receiver was bad. You had a signal problem.
    7. if it still wont work, the frequency generator (control section) in the ESC is bad. Replace the ESC
    The ESC has two places where it can go bad; 1) the power section, and 2) the control section. If ether is bad, replace the ESC. With the above tests, we tested both sections.
  8. Jeriah

Jeriah Ace Pilot

I did the test a few times and I can't tell a difference how hard the motor turns whether the batt is plugged in or not. The motor still makes the normal beeps when I plug in the battery but it doesn't move at all. I know my rx and motor are good so I think my power circuit is bad. is there any way to fix it???

thanks for all the advise!!!
  9. Jeriah

Jeriah Ace Pilot

Btw it was a brand new esc so can I send it back or something?
  10. Jeriah

Jeriah Ace Pilot

I forgot to mention that I tried to reverse the throttle and the esc beeped again but didn't move
  11. squishy

squishy Top Gun

does it continually beep or does it beep and then stop?
  12. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

I also have never seen a ESC move on its own. I was talking about the motor moving, not the ESC !!

You're right, it is a bad power circuit. The fix may cost more that the device. Call the place you got it from and have them send you another one.

Messing with it will void the warrenty, If the store does not want it back, try to fix it. Like squishy says in the next post, it may be just a loose connection.
  13. squishy

squishy Top Gun

also take off the shrink wrap to see if it's just a loose signal wire..
  14. Jeriah

Jeriah Ace Pilot

Ok I'll try that. and I also ment the motor wasn't moving (not the esc)
  15. Jeriah

Jeriah Ace Pilot

It beeps then stops
  16. squishy

squishy Top Gun

I hate to do this but it may be a bad ESC...
  17. Jeriah

Jeriah Ace Pilot

aww mannn!!!! :mad:
  18. mudman

mudman Cadet

I had a bad esc from hobbyking, I contacted them and asked if I have to send it back because it would cost more for shipping then its worth. They asked me to send a video of the problem and had me try a couple things that didnt work so they gave me a credit for a new one.
    Luke Warm likes this.
  19. Jeriah

Jeriah Ace Pilot

ok! finally hobby king replied after watching the video i sent them and gave me a 16$ credit to spend. at least they have good (but slow) service.
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Wow, that's more than I got! I had a bad esc in an edf combo and they told me to send it back and they'll send a replacement! That costs more than an esc!

My youtube :
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky