DX6i Differential Thrust Programing...

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by tripod333, Jul 11, 2009.

1. tripod333

tripod333 Rookie

Hi all,

I'm new here but I've been on RC Groups and into rc flight for 1 year now. I am having some problems programing my DX6i radio to do differential thrust.

Basicly, I should be able to mix throttle into rudder and rudder into throttle, connect 2 ESCs, 1 to the throttle channel and one to rudder. Everything works fine to a point. While watching the "Monitor" screen on my radio as I move the throttle stick up and down the rudder channel matches it's every move as expected. What I would expect and desire is for when I move the rudder stick left and right to see the throttle and rudder channels move in opposite dirrections. What actually happens is the rudder channel does in fact move with rudder stick inputs but the throttle channel is unaffected.

It seems that I cannot mix into the throttle channel... Can this be done with my radio?

Well, I seem to have answered my question. I changed the mixxes to elevator to aileron and aileron to elevator and it works just as I want...

Does anyone know how I can make the throttle channel accept mixing inputs? (without buying a new radio!)

2. Jbirky

Jbirky Airman

That is a great question I cannot answer. I have seen nothing indicating my DX7 can do that, so I doubt your DX6i can do it though I could be wrong. I have never seen anyone do that, but it makes sense.

I would contact Spektrum product support and ask for help.

3. Rogue Mafia

Rogue Mafia Rookie

Not much help I know, but the mix you are trying to achieve works on the DX7. there are no options on the DX7 that I know of that will allow you to turn of mixing into the throttle channel, bar assigning the mix to a switch, or having the mix inhibited to start with. I would presume the DX6i is the same.

I dont really know the DX6i, but I guess its software is just a slightly cut down version of the DX7, so unless you had the mix accidentally assigned to a switch position, then it must be a limitation of the DX6i, seems very odd though, as you would expect it not to allow you to even select a mix into the throttle channel if it wasnt capable of doing it.

Rogue

4. tripod333

tripod333 Rookie

Thanks for checking on the Dx7 for me. I fear it is a limitation on my radio. Can a Dx6i buddy box with a Dx7? I have 2 Dx6i's for that reason, if they can work with a 7 I may try to trade one off... a thought...

5. sawatt

sawatt Cadet

The DX6i is able to buddy with a DX7, they take the same training cable, but you have to make sure you match the settings. Use the 7 as the master.

6. tripod333

tripod333 Rookie

Thanks... I might do that...

For now at least, I can use the rudder to trim incase the thrust is uneven. I'll just turn the inputs down for minimal effect by accidental rudder inputs.

7. Dredogol

Dredogol M0DERATOR - (aka "Dred")

8. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos Rookie

How about using an on-board mixer?

The added weight might be small enough for the advantages you get.

I know you just solved my tail-less plane issue... I know what to do now.

9. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Exactly! Great point, Kos-Mos! I have had success with using a VTAIL mixer in this case. The v-tail mixer plugs into the rudder and throttle channels, and your ESC's plug into the Vtail mixer. At this point I would run an external BEC and remove the red wires from my ESC's to keep from damaging the V-tail mixer, but it DOES work with ZERO on board radio mixing.

10. Foam and Tape

Foam and Tape Cadet

you don't need a seprate BEC for the ESC's, just disable one of the red wires by lifting the tab on the ESC, power is just back fed through the V-tail mixer :cool: In some cases you can even parrallel the BEC's. CC says that their esc's can work together and not kill each other when you parrallel the BEC's. :D I'm not sure about the el'cheapo ESC's, my guess is that they'll kill eachother.

11. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos Rookie

I have to order a mixer and add rudder control on my F-15 for testing...

Have to order some larger battery for it anyways... 1500 3S1P does not cut it at all... 2200 at least...

Then apply the same to my Yukikaze... I feel that no vert.stab. will already be a pain like that...

12. constantmotion

constantmotion Rookie

I know this is an old thread, but other might be wanting to know how to do this. Here is what works for my twin engine/ESC cargo plane.

On a DX6i, the two mixes I have are as follows:

Mix 1:
    Thro -> Flap
    Rate D -100% U -100%

Mix 2:
    Rudd -> Flap
    Rate D +30% U +30%

If you go into the Monitor mode you can see how the mixes affect the channel outputs. The left motor ESC goes into the throttle channel, and the right motor ESC goes into the Flap/Aux channel. This is important; if you plug the ESC's in reverse your differential throttle will be backwards.

The first mix makes the flap channel parallel the throttle channel for throttle control, and the second mix causes the flap channel to vary depending on rudder position. Changing the rate on mix #2 will affect how much differential throttle you get while turning - Season to taste.

13. Davovinch

Davovinch Rookie

Differential

Constantmotion thanks for the advice on the set up. I am concerned that since the ESC feeds power TO the receiver that two esc's would cause a problem. Does one disconnect a wire on the second esc to prevent this?
    Thanks,
    Dave