Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Ducted Fan -vs- Prop

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by etotheo, Oct 20, 2009.

1. etotheo

etotheo Rookie

I have a question for either Dave and or Scott regarding the power plants that there designs revolve around. It seems for the most part that the designs are "jet" based and are driven by a brushless outrunner motor. My question is this, since the designs are mimicking a jet, why not use a ducted fan to try to reproduce the "jet" sound and feel?

I'm a noob with all things RC... built my glow trainer and now have half a dozen fights under my belt. Found this site last weekend, watched Dave's video's which are great! And now I can't wait to get into e-powered flight.

Does a ducted fan not just use the same brushless motor, just substitute the prop for an axial fan w/ shrouding?
    Thanks.
  2. cheerIO

cheerIO Rookie

3. Sonicjet

Sonicjet Rookie

That statement is.... relative.
    For example,you put an 70mm 50amp Edf in an easybuild making 38 oz of thrust, it will not have a slow acceleration.
    Thats my latest project.
    (minus the easybuild..lol)
    Btw an microjet makes ~ 20oz of thrust...:D
  4. all4smallrc

all4smallrc Airman

The differences between edfs and props are pretty simple. A prop has better power at low speed where a ducted fan (edf) will do better at high speed. Just the same, edfs are faster than props in most cases. Props are more efficient believe it or not. To get the same thrust out of an edf as a prop, the edf will be drawing more amps. However, although thrust is the same, the speed of the air coming out of the edf is much faster than that of the prop, allowing the plane you put it in to go faster. Accelleration is also much slower with an edf than a prop.