Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Dollar Tree Foam for RCPowers planes

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by debay777, Jul 19, 2012.

1. debay777

debay777 Rookie

I really am tired of designing my own stuff and want to build one of the park jets that I bought the plans for. However I do not have access to depron locally, and I really dont want to pay the extra $$ for it. I have lots of $tree foam and want to use it. The thing that stops me is that in all the print outs there are a few pieces that are too large for the 20x30 sheets of $tree foam. How do I do this without making my plane weaker because I have pieces spliced together?
  2. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

I've found that if you do it right, the splices are actually stronger that the foam around it. Get the hot glue as hot as you can without melting the foam, and it will hold wonderfully - or use epoxy and the joint will NOT be the first place to break.
  3. debay777

debay777 Rookie

So just rock on with $tree foam and add pieces where the parts are larger than my sheets? Sounds good to me.
  4. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Just be strategic about it. You don't want a big heavy splice at the end of one wing or anything. Try to keep your splices symmetrical. I had this same problem and decided to cut at the CF rod point. I'll epoxy the halves around the rod since I was going 90% of the way through the foam anyway.
  5. fishwhisperer83

fishwhisperer83 Ace Pilot

The x-31 for example, the nose is to long so I cut that out on a separate sheet of foam. I don't we can say enough good things about hot glue. A strip of tape on each side of the line. This will provide tension to the foam.
  6. debay777

debay777 Rookie

Thanks guys.
  7. I use 2 kinds of Foamboard for my builds the 30 x 40 in from Staples $7.00 with taxes included and The Green Dollar Tree $1.06 with taxes included 20x30 in which I use for folding.(Better than the Depron which cost $8.00 the 20x30 and $15.00 40x30). I will attach some images to show you what I am talking about and to make the build I reinforce it with wood sticks from Micheal's store it cost 0.85 cents the rod better then the carbon fiber which cost $5.00 a piece. The main body I use the Staples Foamboard and the intakes the G. Tree dollar. Please let me know what you think. Notice the wood rods to reinforce the wings.

Here is the video of the maiden unfortunately the model crash but it was my mistake, my throws where to high to control the plane. but the design is very solid.

Attached Files:

8. I am rebuilding this model. I will call it the Phoenix.
  9. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

All I use is dollarstore foam. I usually scale down the RCP plans to 90%, but the only piece I really ran into trouble with size wise was the 3d nose. I found it best to put the tip of the nose on a seperate sheet and hotglue it together. Does very little to the overall strength of the plane, and if you ever do nose dive, it's extremely easy to replace.