Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Converting from NIMH batteries to LIPO

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by rchawk, Jan 9, 2012.

1. rchawk

rchawk Cadet

Hi all Pilots,
    I am in the process of converting and buying new planes with brushless motors and Lipo batteries (finally) . The question I have is can I use lipo batteries with my old planes that have brushed motors and used the old NIMH battery packs. Can I just replace the battery connector from my old plane to work with my new lipo batteries and just connect the lipo battery , or do I have to get a new brushless motor and ESC ? :confused:

Thank you
    RCHAWK
  2. Foxy_Dafox

Foxy_Dafox Cadet

Yes you can, but make sure that the voltage matches up with the motor specifications because lipos are much more powerful.
    2 cell=7.4v
    3 cell=11.3v

Or something like that...
  3. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

The voltage will need to be close to 7.4 or 11.1, or you'll either: 1) fry your brushed motors or 2) be way underpowered. A brushed/NiMH ESC also might not have a low-voltage cutoff. Some do, but if not, then you risk over-discharging your lipo.

For simplicity sake, it's just easier to convert everything over, but if you're careful you can make it work. But you'll probably get frustrated with the lack of power and just upgrade anyway. The Force is strong with brushless motors...
  4. rodrigo

rodrigo Ace Pilot

lipos work without any problem... but be careful at full power, you can burn your motor or ESC if you mantain at full throttle long time, but some seconds don´t produce any problem that more power but less useful life at your motor ESC.
    A real serious problem is discharge the Lipos less than recomended 3,3v per cell, too much and your lipos die.... buy a charge buzzer alarm and keep it copnnected to the battery or check the voltage after some minutes of flight... here some electronics will serve you http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_search_list.dwt&gcat=57
  5. rchawk

rchawk Cadet

Thank you for all the advice Gentlemen , I appreiate your help.
    Happy Flying
    RcHawk