Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Computer controlled RC plane

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by erajomppa, Jul 29, 2011.

1. erajomppa

erajomppa Ace Pilot

Is there a way to control your RC plane with computer? Like give the stick positions from your computer rather than your transmitter, of course signal should come from the transmitter. I had this idea, when I programmed my 22 dollar HK radio when plane was turned on.

I really dont know what questions I should be asking here :p I just want to be able to fly my plane from the computer, with gamepad for example.

With FPV, live video coming to your screen, it would make the worlds most expensive simulator :D with real flying planes! so why would anyone want to do it?

because its awesome :cool:
  2. MoTheG

MoTheG Airman

of cause it is technically possible.
    one could connect a µ-Controller to the serial-port and let it create the sequence that gets send. For an old analog TX that would be easy.
    USB and 2.4GHz would be much more difficult.
  3. erajomppa

erajomppa Ace Pilot

Yeah, and someone has probably done it already. Wish there was an existing system.
  4. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

5. erajomppa

erajomppa Ace Pilot

Yeah, but that´s wifi controlled right? So no 2 mile range and stuff :p
    Should do more research on it, but isnt it just for smartphones and alike? dont know if it works off of a standard laptop with wifi, and what the actual range is.
  6. SGC

SGC Cadet

You can possibly use a tablet ( Hp touchpad, IPad 2) you also could use the accelerometer in the tablet to fly the plane. :rolleyes:
    HP-TouchPad-Tablet.jpg
  7. oliviu11

oliviu11 Rookie

control a rc plane with a computer

Hello guys,

I am trying to do my final year project and I need to control a RC Plane from a computer. I am using a VICON
    NEXUS system that will give me the location of the plane in the room. Then using MATLAB or C++ i need to design a program that will control my plane in a desired way( making circles,squares etc).

The big problem is that I don't have any idea how to connect my RC plane( 40 pounds plane) to the computer in order to give the commands.

Does anybody have any idea?? Anything would help me because at this point I am running out of time...

Regards,
    Oliviu
  8. erajomppa

erajomppa Ace Pilot

http://www.flytron.com/56-compufly-usbtoppm-converter.html

This is one way, its hardware that allows you to convert any human interference device (mouse, keyboard, touchpad, gamepad, joystick etc.) into a ppm signal. Search more with terms like "usb to ppm" or "compufly". This is not the only usb to ppm device available ;)

Btw, for compufly the software is open source, it can be found on the linked site.

I would love to try this out when I have the money and time.
  9. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

10. squishy

squishy Top Gun

I am building exactly this right now, but I am not using the computer stick posted above, I am using an old 72mhz 5ch radio because it gets a 5 mile range, later I will buy a dragonlink UHF system for 15 mile range, but I am just starting out still. I have a video capture card to plug the video RX into and then I use a video overlay capture software to display the video on the screen next to a google earth track...there is no point in having a gamepad or other device control the airplane or have it go through the computer yet, I have gps guided autopilot without that for $200, there are computer controled OSD systems on the market though and it would be easy to do, this is the wrong place to be asking these questions, go over to FPVlab for stuff like this...
  11. Argonath

Argonath Ace Pilot

that would depend on the transmission power output.

Besides why fly from a computer out in a field when you can use internet to fly your plane?
  12. squishy

squishy Top Gun

lol...just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done...
  13. oliviu11

oliviu11 Rookie

Thanks for that. it really helps. But I want to create an Autonomous flight for the uav. So the output has to come from the computer straight to a transmitter(or to the remote with a cable but then comes the problem to connect that cable somehow with the remote and match the voltages from Matlab with the commands in the remote).

Anybody wants to try to work with me with regards to that? I will share my final year project at the end to do whatever you want with it. :) (sell to the army for millions of pounds/euros :)) )
  14. squishy

squishy Top Gun

Been done already, seriously, go over to the forums at FPVlab, there's people already flying them and off the self products to do it...
  15. wheelbarrowjackson

wheelbarrowjackson Cadet

rgreene@n35:~$ ping 24.155.225.22
    PING 24.155.225.22 (24.155.225.22) 56(84) bytes of data.
    ^C
    --- 24.155.225.22 ping statistics ---
    8 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 7055ms

Uh oh...
  16. Argonath

Argonath Ace Pilot

Oh yes it does.
  17. Argonath

Argonath Ace Pilot

Not the same thing. You're talking about a point to point connection and not a transmission. You would use the internet to bounce off of WAP points to push a signal out to the plane. No packet loss because you're not trying to establish a connection, only transmit a command via an existing TX point.
  18. wheelbarrowjackson

wheelbarrowjackson Cadet

But it is the same thing. That's the way the internet works. If you can't get there from here, neither will your control movements.
  19. Argonath

Argonath Ace Pilot

My Municipality has free wireless internet available from anywhere. There are WAP points all over the place so if I were to push a TX signal off the WAP points, all of them would push it into a TX and the bound RX would in theory pick it up. Also if you're getting your signal from a Cell RX, you could in theory use a skype style application to call the cell RX on the plane and use the carrier TX towers to fly the plane from commands issued over the internet as well. No IP here, just internet to 4G.
  20. wheelbarrowjackson

wheelbarrowjackson Cadet

The internet is IP. That's what the I in IP stands for. All modern data is packetized at some point even if it's sent over ATM.

When you connect to an AP, you are given an address. If you're using windows, open a command shell and type "ipconfig /all" and you'll see that you've been given an address by the DHCP server on that network. If you have no IP assigned, your packets cannot route. If they don't route, they don't go anywhere.