Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Cheap FPV Setup

Discussion in 'Everything Scratchbuild (Questions & Chit-Chat)' started by rcplanesofma24, Jan 4, 2011.

1. rcplanesofma24

rcplanesofma24 Rookie

Hello, first of all, i wanted to say im posting this in both the questions and video section because it implies to both. This is a video review of the EPP FPV plane and FPV setup done by FLiteTest. (this isnt my video). i found these guys on youtube thanks to some of the comments on my last posts! What do you guys think of this plane/fpv setup they have. This is definetly the cheapest fpv setup ive seen, and it looks like good quality. the only expensive thing is the FPV goggles, which is optinal, (i think its optional, am i right?), and the GoPro, which is optional. THanks, and let me know what you think about their setup!.
  2. flymypretty

flymypretty Cadet

I was looking at this too...does seem like a nice way to get into it. I'd be interested to hear what peoples opinions are.

I am not sure...if you are serious about getting into FPV it is probably worth investing in a better tx/rx for your telemtetry and video feed from the get go, for better range etc as this one is cheap but quite limited. Otherwise you'll buy this, then have to buy a whole new system later...but its a tough call to make before you know if you are into it!!!
  3. kevinlib

kevinlib Rookie

Well, when you say cheap which part do you mean? The airplane? Check out how much the shipping cost. The FPV? I couldn't tell how much do they cost.
    I would go with some EPO gliders instead of this heavy EPP airplane which use big motor, big battery(5000!?) and of course big ESC.
    [​IMG]
  4. rcplanesofma24

rcplanesofma24 Rookie

Cheap as in the cost. if you go to the video on youtube, in the description they put a link for everything they used. The plane is $69, prolly around 100 after shipping, and the fpv setup doesnt even cost 100 for everything, except the fatshark goggles and the gopro, but u dont need either of those
  5. kevinlib

kevinlib Rookie

I apologize for missing those quotes link. With everything listed, the total will be $292 (except the FatShark 5.8Ghz Telemetry System) which is not too bad. But still think the airplane with the big battery cost a little bit more. Maybe I just hate epp....hehe
  6. kevinlib

kevinlib Rookie

By the way, how does the 900Mhz 4 channel Video Transmitter work with 2.4 DSM2 radio?
  7. aakemp123

aakemp123 Cadet

I've heard the TX/RX/Camera package used in the video is crap. It might be worth the money for a nicer one.
  8. erajomppa

erajomppa Ace Pilot

From what I´v heard, 900MHz FPV system can cause gliches with the some servos and has so much bigger and heavier antennas, that it would be best to go with 5,8Ghz FPV system. 2,4 is not good if you have 2,4 radio like most do.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=12176

this is Hobbyking´s 5,8GHz 200mW FPV system, it does not have camera included and it costs ~70 dollars. Its still very cheap system and Im gonna buy that one when I have the money and time and plane to try FPV. I already have the camera, HK DH wing cam.
  9. erajomppa

erajomppa Ace Pilot