Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Cheap 5mm Foamboard $1.25 a sheet

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by fly4fun, Mar 5, 2010.

1. fly4fun

fly4fun Rookie

The foam board from Dollarama and Dollartree is cheap, $1.25 a sheet. But the paper on the board is useless and it gives the board memory, this causes bends and creases. :mad:

This video is just to show how easy it is to remove the paper, and how flexible the board becomes when the paper is gone. :)

Plus the board is now 30% lighter. ;)

2. cisc0box

cisc0box Rookie

I still need to get to the Dollar Tree ... A local store here sells what looks to be the almost exact same kind of board but they want $4 a sheet.

Some people soak the boards in water to remove the papers as well.
    What kind of foam does this best resemble?
  3. fly4fun

fly4fun Rookie

What is it?

None really

IMO i would say this board is almost a mix of EPP bendy strength and Depron smoothness.

Not sure if you could make a big plane with this, but a 30" and smaller wingspan would be spot on. The RCP extra 300 would work with this, with CR bracing.

But hey who cares $1 a sheet, is soooo cheap dude,:p Just need to find dollar tree carbon rod now...:D
  4. Loopy-de-loop

Loopy-de-loop Rookie

here in Quebec, in my dollar store, we have carbon rod, not tube, but rod on cheap kite kit. i dont try them yet but maybe you will find a use for them.:yes:
  5. fly4fun

fly4fun Rookie

Yeh

Thanks for the heads up on that, i will have a look.:thumb:
  6. steverc

steverc Rookie

the carbon rod used for kites is a lower grade it has around 15% less carbon in it, and therefore proportionally more resin, but it is much much cheaper than standard carbon fibre, it could certainly make sense to use it for control rods, so has anyone any experience of it for planes etc - would 3mm lower quality rod equal 3mm standard quality tube for instance?
  7. planeflyer94

planeflyer94 Rookie

I love dollar tree foam!!!Especialy for profile jets,I dont remove the paper at all for those!!Currentley I am building the rcp space shuttle out of it!!
  8. RCPrairieFlyyer

RCPrairieFlyyer Cadet

I was able to find that same foam board at a Dollarama store. However when I tried to airbrush my graphics and after the paint tried, the paper peeled off, almost by itself. Urgh, all that work, gone.

My wife in the meantime was making puzzles and using Mod Podge glue to seal the puzzle together. :sun: IDEA! Why not peel the paper of the foam boards and glue 2 boards together.

So I used a spray bottle (water only) and soaked the boards, waited for the water to dry and the whole piece of paper came off in one sheet. Then I applied glue to each foam board using a paint brush and then stuck the boards together and let dry.

:thumb: Result, one piece of awesome foam board for under $3.

I was very impressed with the strength and the over all weight. The weight made me curious and brought out my wife's food scale.

:eek: one piece of board with paper = 4oz
    :new: one awesome foam board with 2 pieces of foam, no paper and just a little bit of glue = 4.5oz

Another after thought, if you plan ahead, you could pre-cut/notch to sandwich carbon rods into the foam for added strength.

:watchout: Don't forgot to release the Clutch!

:um: Oops! forgot to add, thickness came out as 9mm
    Akz16 likes this.
  9. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

I did this already (See: http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3508 ) using Gorilla glue and 2 pieces of foam board. I removed the paper first, cut my wing pieces out and then used a plaster trowel to evenly spread Gorilla glue across 1 piece, placed a piece of 1/8" dowel the length of the wing to about 1 inch short of the wingtip and then placed the second wing piece over the top, evened the whole thing out and then placed it between 2 laminate shelf boards with a 30 lb toolbox on top for 24 hours.

Once it was dry, I pulled it out, trimmed off the excess glue that was out of the edges with a knife, and sanded the edges for a nice clean edge.

I did the same for the Fuselage sides (No dowel) and hot glued the parts together. Amazingly rigid and the total weight of the plane without the electronics at 26.5 inches from nose to tail and 36 inches wingtip to wingtip, with all the leading wing edges taped off is only 7 Oz's total.

Add 3 Servos, ESC, Control rods / horns, motor mount, motor and Lipo and it'll be about 12-14 Oz's overall weight.
  10. tankd0g

tankd0g Rookie

Did you film that with your keychain camera? :) I bought a couple sheets from the local Dollarama, they are from readiboard.com according to the sticker, 20x30x3/16". I only bought it to cut some reinforcement pieces for my CF so I'm leaving the paper on but I'd like to build some planes later. Seems all the RCPowers plans are for a larger board like 24x34" though. Have you found any patterns you can use on smaller sheets?

The local Michael's craft store has real white and black depron but it's like $8 a sheet and I think it's also only 20x30".
  11. fly4fun

fly4fun Rookie

I'm gona build the Yak 55 for matty,we gona scale it down a bit i think? ive got 3 blue wonder motors on order at $8 each and a lightened Hobbyking RX, will use 5g servos and a 2 cell 800 mah batt.

When i get time that is.:D
  12. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Rookie

I use $Tree board for my parkjets WITH the paper and it works well. I haven't had to use more than one carbon rod for strengthening in any of them (yet). Makes them tougher for combat use :)
  13. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos Rookie

I have been using that foam too...

You don't need to use alcohol or water. The paper peels off by itself right from the store.

I had only 1 sticky paper on the lot. Removed almost 80% of the paper, and the rest was glued properly... A little bit of alcohol and all was gone.

When the paper is removed, the foam is exactly 4mm.

If you need to make a curved surface, cut your pieces, then remove only 1 side of the paper. It will curve the foam with the paper inside the curve (shrinking?).

Also, 3M 77 spray glue works wonders to glue two sheets. I did it and it is sturdy as hell.
  14. kevinm

kevinm Rookie

SO - im outfittingh my Slow Stick with bigger tailfeathers, and went and got the 5MM paper sheathed board from the dollar tree for , well, $1 , i should go ahead and leave the paper on ? hope so cuz it just rips-
  15. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Ace Pilot

The Dollar Tree foam is definately stronger with the paper ON. but if it gets wet it will warp the foam and add alot of weight.

Try re-enforcing with some clear packing tape.
  16. kevinm

kevinm Rookie

so water removes the paper then i dry it and cover with tape?
  17. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Ace Pilot

No, i am saying if you want the added strength leave the paper on and put packing tape over it so the if it does get a little wet the water will just bead up and wipe down from the tape and the paper will be protected.
  18. kevinm

kevinm Rookie

done- looking to try it out tomorrow, such a dopey kool plane, that Slow Stick --
    discovered a real faux pas on my build, and fixed it -ok ill spill - i had Vees bent into control wires for minute adjustments- the Vees on this plane were so big they were accordionning( lol duh) - gotta be more careful making my control wire lengths , though it is getting easier - was overanalyzing the job
  19. mandolinplayer13

mandolinplayer13 Rookie

i get dt foam and i dont even soak it in anything, the paper just peels off dry in one big sheet
  20. squishy

squishy Top Gun

it depends on the batch, I have had stuff that has done that, other stuff that just needs a squirt of alcohol and other crap that wouldn't come off no matter what I did...It's a crap shoot...