Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Charge "New" LiPo Batteries?

Discussion in 'Master Parts List' started by JPX2000, Dec 30, 2010.

1. JPX2000

JPX2000 Rookie

OK, got a ParkZone P-47 Thunderbolt for Christmas. Getting ready to go put it together (hopefully soon) and was thinking about charging the 3s 2200mAh while working on the plane.

Question #1) The supplied charger is a 12VDC plug-in type with about an 18" lead. Can't see me charging ANY LiPo on my floorboard, dashbord, seat, etc. Does it work well enough (on these types of chargers) to chop the accessory/lighter plug off and solder on some batt clamps?

Question #2) I've got an Xcelorin MultiPro Balancer/Charger that will handle, well, everything that stores electrical energy. The charger directions say not to attempt charging cells or batteries which are fully charged or slightly discharged. The 2200mAh battery reads 12.2 VDC. Is this enough to bind with safely? (I think probably yes.) Should I run it through discharge/charge cycles first? Or just hook it up to the electronics and see what the ESC picks up?

Excuse the stoopid questions... I'm a 'LiPo' virgin, and the horror stories may or may not be exaggerated. I'm kinda Mr. Safety Guy.

BTW... Happy New Year!!!

Joe
  2. owenh

owenh Rookie

nope just charge and away u go no need to cycle
  3. vltchkr8477

vltchkr8477 Rookie

Balance R

The thing with Lipo batteries is each cell has a min voltage of 3.2 and a max of 4.2, and when charging you should use a balance. there are some nice balance chargers out there from 80 on up, or you can get a balance pro type.
    when i first started with lipo's I had the Common Sense balancepro, which works real good. http://www.commonsenserc.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=549
    Hope this helps
  4. squishy

squishy Top Gun

This is the charger to get, most of us in this forum have the Thunder AC6, this is a newer version of it and just came out...

http://www.nitroplanes.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

I thought I killed a lipo the other day, this charger brought it back to life with the help of a little tribal knowledge...
  5. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

yeah it is called juice it on a NiMh charge of .5amps for about 45 seconds...will bring up the voltage and then let you balance it..

sorry squish..you ain't the only one initiated into the tribe ;)
  6. JPX2000

JPX2000 Rookie

Thanks, guys. I read all of the posts in the 'Hawk Sky' thread (ordered one, UPS says it's here on Monday) and the Thunder AC6 Charger was talked about a lot. I got the Xcelorin because it handles all of my battery and power cell types, and my LHS gave me a really, really good deal on it.

This LiPo power has me a little bit gun shy, ever since a guy at the college I was attending fried his crotch, charging his laptop while using it. Molten plastic and burnt flesh has a smell you just don't forget.

Does the "tribal knowledge" incur a charge using a setting for NiMH cells?

"I killed a six-pack once, just to watch it die."
  7. JPX2000

JPX2000 Rookie

Whoops, too slow on the reply. But my 'tribal knowledge' guess was right! Right? Um, nevermind. Charging LiPo's in my basement, on a bare concrete floor, using a 'safe pouch' with a fire extiguisher nearby, charger and battery pouch setting on a Nomex blanket. Should be safe enough for new batteries, yes?
  8. fly4fun

fly4fun Rookie

Yeh, bit overkill, but yep OK.

The main thing is to keep an eye on the whole process, you can charge it next to you while watchin TV or messin with ya plane. If you charge at 1c then all should be OK, 1c means the amp that the battery is rated at.

If it is next to you then you will know when it goes wrong, it will swell up first. :eek:
  9. squishy

squishy Top Gun

I use large porcelain tiles to charge on, I'd like to make a charging box out of the stuff..
  10. thejanitor86

thejanitor86 Rookie

make sure you leave open vents on your porcelain tile box. otherwise you'll have large porcelain tile pieces flying everywhere.
  11. squishy

squishy Top Gun

well yeah, the top would be wide open...I'm just worried about my nice oak table catching on fire...
  12. thejanitor86

thejanitor86 Rookie

i just stick my batteries in a ceramic pot. i seem to have a bunch lying around.
  13. E-R2015

E-R2015 Rookie

haha I obviously trust my lipos by charging in my bedroom.... 0_o
    I have a simple charger that charges at 1 amp....

I have a lipo i accidentally touched the pos and neg wires together and it smoked a little and there's a 1mm size hole in the plastic wrap where the balance plug meets the actual battery. should i throw it in the pond or risk charging it?
  14. JPX2000

JPX2000 Rookie

I don't think I'd try to charge that puppy back up. It could mess up your electronics even if it didn't pop into flames.
  15. E-R2015

E-R2015 Rookie

sounds like a plan.... haha looks like I have something fun to bring to the new years party!