C-130 Plans

Discussion in 'Notepad' started by buildafoamie, Nov 28, 2010.

1. buildafoamie

buildafoamie Rookie

[​IMG]

This week over at http://www.buildafoamie.com/blog/c-130-bundle/

I'm running what I think is a pretty good deal.

For a limited time you can purchase this C-130 combo pack. This value pack includes The PDF instructions and build guides for the following:

Predator Drone
    Cub Trainer
    B-17 Flying Fortress
    P-40 Warhawk
    C-130

That is 5 sets of plans for the price of just the C-130 PDF - all for $19.95.

2. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

How do I buy just those plans? I don't want the bundle package of plans just the C-130. Also... what is the power system comprised of?

3. Sumer

Sumer Rookie

Good job! Looks nice for the snowy winter in Montréal! :D

4. buildafoamie

buildafoamie Rookie

We don't have just the C-130 plans available at the moment. However, if/when we do sell them stand-alone, the price will be set at $19.95... so this is a pretty good deal.

We try to use the same electric brush-less motor for most of our airplane plans. This makes it easy to reuse motors for new planes that you build, thus saving on cost.

We recommend the hxt 2730, available at Hobby King for $8.59.

10a Electric Speed Controller

Battery: Rhino 750mAh 3S 11.1v 20C Lipoly Pack

Of course the C-130 uses four of each.

There is a guy documenting his build of his C-130 based on our plans here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1184631&page=3

5. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Well let me know when you want to sell me those plans for $10.

6. buildafoamie

buildafoamie Rookie

I'll have to pass on that deal... Thanks for the interest though!

7. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Ace Pilot

You didn't major in business did ya.

8. Keegles

Keegles Rookie

selling plans in a bundle isnt a great idea. you would do much better selling them individually for 7-10 dollars. I would never buy 5 PLANS from someone that I havent built from their plans already. There are some terrible directions and engineering out there. For John Doe to guess that he's going to build all the planes before he's taken on one of your projects already isnt realistic. Now I would buy one of your plans for a few dollars and if I liked your design, I would strongly consider buying the others. To be honest with you, I wouldn't or won't buy a set of plans for $20. Especially with how much free stuff there is out there on rcg. If you followed dave powers, you know how he did it and was successfull. He offered the free plane and a ton of optional ones for purchase. Just thought you would like to know from the eyes of your potential consumers.

10 or under........maybe
    20 for a few sets.......doubtful

9. buildafoamie

buildafoamie Rookie

Ha ha... Thanks for the lecture everyone...

No seriously, thanks for the tips. We do indeed have cheaper individual plans over at http://www.buildafoamie.com

The bundle has been a great deal for several folks more familiar with my plans already. I didn't mean to offend anyone here on RCPowers by offering the same deal.

I'll respectfully avoid posting here from now on.

Happy Holidays Folks,

Mark

10. buildafoamie

buildafoamie Rookie

Nope. :)

And if you did, I'd love to have your advice.

Cheers,

Mark

11. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

HahahahahahHahahaha!!!!

12. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

The bad part of selling plans is I can buy a set and "gift" them to blamph2cool guy and it's completely legal. He can decide he doesn't want them and send them to 5 of his friends who have plans that they don't want.... So I know you spend a ton of time making plans but don't expect to make a fortune off them

13. buildafoamie

buildafoamie Rookie

You're right. You could do that. Not the most moral thing to do, but nothing is stopping you.

And no, I don't expect to make a fortune. It has been a fun and rewarding hobby. I've gotten to know some (mostly) very friendly and helpful folks who all share a love of flying.

Still have to rely on a full time, (non RC related) job to make a living... ha ha.

14. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Well I'll pay 10.00 for a good set of easy to build, low modification, c130 plans

15. buildafoamie

buildafoamie Rookie

Cool, well I think you should be able to find some free c-130 plans out there. I did a quick search and found these: http://www.delago.de/ariane/EC130.htm

I'm sure there are plenty other variations out there as well. Best of luck with the build! C-130 is (in my opinion) one of the coolest RC models out there. Just love the way those four motors sound :)

16. Keegles

Keegles Rookie

I majored in business.

You didn't offend me, I'm interested in building the hercules. I'm telling you through the eyes of your consumer it looks like I have to buy a bunch of stuff I don't want to get what I want and waste money. When in fact, your giving a great deal. So you can make a better profit selling them individually. I usually don't build 4 sets of plans either. I'll build one, mod it how I like it. By that time it's sloppy looking so I'll rebuild it the way I like it. So one projects lasts me quite awhile.

17. rodrigo

rodrigo Ace Pilot

With all due respect, I think everyone is wrong...
    the planes from buildafoamie guy are from other level than our easybuild planes and I could not pay less for this Hercules... it ´s look awesome, lot of details and I think lot of designed pieces.... if you compare RCP planes with only 6 to 10 pieces with this monster you discover where is the dollars.... in the case of RCP planes the dollars are in the simplicity and this is their advantage...
    I look thousand of free planes from internet and at least half do not have the information necessary to complete... sure are excellent free planes too :Steve Shumate designs ( the most beauty and complex planes i ever seen and for free) and Tom Hellberg but are the exceptions.... in multimotor planes only the twin cargo from FoamAndTape is possible to build without having to design the missing pieces....

BTW Tom Helberg planes are a good option (for free) to RCP planes.. why buy aircraft from RCP Powers? because has lot of support, has hundred of happy consumers and we support future designs... any other reason? maybe a lot.

come on guys, more respect for the designers!!!
    just lokk the warhawk at only U$9,5
    http://www.buildafoamie.com/wwii.html

is good deal for me... comparable to RCP planes? is another category but the price is ok

I would not expect the same price for a quad motor ...this is not a market in morocco to order discounts!

One good point Keegles , is not a good idea made a combo package with 4 or 5 planes.... maybe 2 with the same spec / category (B17+C130 or P40+other WW2 plane) just for options if you don´t want rebuild the same after 5 crashes!... I buy the F22-F35 combo from RCP and I built the F22 3 month latter, when I destroy the F35 for the third time

18. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Ace Pilot

I do respect you Rod for all your contributions to this community. But its not about respecting the designer. It's about economics and demand at price point.

Mr Foamie toiled to create some plans. now lets dumb down the numbers here for the sake of conversation; if he sold 1 set of plans at $20 or 5 sets of the individual C130 plan at $10. Hey that $20 vs. $50 for the same amount of toil and work to create the plans.

I didn't major in business, I'm just an INTJ.

19. rodrigo

rodrigo Ace Pilot

you are right too...I apologize if I offended anyone (remember that my English is not very good)
    define the price for a product is a fine art ...
    the 5 combo plane is not a good idea, I agree that...but $5 for his cub, $9 for P40 and $15 for his B17, sound reasonable... maybe this will be the price for the C130... you must agree with me (with your B25 experience) that a multi prop is rather more complex than a single motor...
    sorry again, but in my job experience almost everyone thinks they make a plan is just that... lot of work before that!

20. buildafoamie

buildafoamie Rookie

I do understand your point and I appreciate the feedback from all. The bundle is selling reasonably well with those that are more familiar with my plans. Also, the original plan was to list the Stand-alone c-130 at the same price as the bundle eventually - $19.95. However after this discussion we might need to re-evaluate that price point.

Again, thanks to everyone for the insight. My plans are indeed in a different category than those available on RCP.