Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

Airsoft + RC = UAV!

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by MadMonkey, Apr 8, 2009.

1. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Rookie

I try to combine hobbies when possible. When I started playing Airsoft (MilSim) last year, my first thought was how cool a UAV would be in this type of environment. I pitched the idea to some of the guys in the DFW area, and shortly thereafter I was contacted to put together a UAV for a local Airsoft event.

Here's the result! I started with a basic Easy Star airframe so the plane would have a passing resemblence to the RQ-11 Raven. I added ailerons which also act as flaps and spoilers, then painted the whole thing Haze Gray and added Marine decals. We even went to far as to create a fictional squadron (VMU-4 "Vultures").

The camera is a KX191 with a 900mhz TX/RX combo from Rangevideo.

Completed plane

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Me and my silly mug

[​IMG]

Very basic base station setup... it's going to change a lot before the Airsoft event this thing was made for

[​IMG]

And a couple of in-flight pics

Flyby
    [​IMG]

Flaps down for landing
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, at this time I don't have any way to capture video directly from the receiver, so I had to have a friend directly film the LCD monitor. The quality isn't that great, but it's all I had to work with at the time.

Here's an early test video:

And here's an overly cheesy (the way I like it :D) teaser I made for the upcoming Airsoft event that this was built for:

Enjoy!

The local Airsoft guys are going nuts over this... and I haven't even told them my plans for the future... :D
  2. kwik-kid

kwik-kid Rookie

thats pretty cool, could you add airsoft granades to drop?
  3. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Rookie

Weapons are in the works for future projects :)

For this one I mainly wanted to get a camera plane in the air. Future plans include a Global Hawk and a Reaper (with weapons) ;)
  4. test-theory-man

test-theory-man Rookie

i like the way you made it but build the plane around the gun
  5. skysurfer

skysurfer Rookie

What kind of paint did you use? I've heard some types of paint can react with the foam and degrade it. Yours looks really good.

-Dan
  6. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Rookie

Tamiya rattle cans... they work nicely with Elapor. I haven't tried any other brands on it, nor have I tried Tamiya paint on other foams. I do know that most regular paints tend to eat other foams.
  7. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

MadMonkey! That is so cool! I love it!
  8. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Rookie

Thanks Dave :thumb:

I'm currently working on ideas for the 2nd version... and beyond. I'm designing a simple TV-guided missile that we can use to take out vehicles or buildings (NERF warheads, obviously... we can't be TOO realistic!) and a couple of other projects. I'll start development threads when I'm to that point.