Warning! This site requires Javascript. Learn how to enable it here.

3mm or 6mm Depron for KF Airfoils?

Discussion in 'Scratchbuild Talk' started by schome1, Dec 29, 2012.

1. schome1

schome1 Airman

I'm getting ready to order some more Depron and I have seen a few threads where 3mm Depron was used for the KF airfoils instead of 6mm. Before I make my purchase, I wanted to make sure that I get what I need. Up to now, I've always used 6mm for my airfoils. Does 3mm work the same? Thanks!
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I used 3mm Depron kfs on v1 or profile planes that are smaller. 25-27 inch wingspan, for example. For the v2 planes, or planes over 27 inches in use 6mm. I did feel much from the 3mm on the larger planes. However, I do use 6mm upper and 3mm lower kf4. That gives me a great compromise between lift and resistance to wind. One note:4mm dollar tree foam (that's the thickness without the paper) is much less than 3mm Depron and works great for kfs. In fact, I have 6mm upper and 4mm dollar tree lower kf on my f35 v2. So, I will not be buying any more 3mm as long as I can get a sheet of dt foam for $1!

My youtube :
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky
  3. squishy

squishy Top Gun

4. schome1

schome1 Airman

F1, great advice on saving money by using foam board for the airfoil. There is a dollar tree just down the street from me :)

Squishy, that was a good read about the various airfoils. Very informative. I wonder how much the test results would change if they were done using a park jet?

Thanks!

Try my new "RC Sidekick" Android app, available at Google Play
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I used my Tomhe su37 as a test bed for kfs airfoil in this video. It's an easy test to do and the tape really gives you the feel of "removing" a Kf.

My youtube :
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    Newt likes this.
  6. schome1

schome1 Airman

Great video! Can't believe how quickly the KF1 stalled.

Try my new "RC Sidekick" Android app, available at Google Play
  7. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun