The V4 Pro Pack

Four Parkjets Designed for Pros and Beginners.

Introduction

Everyone is looking for “the new secret” on how to make something the best of its kind. But like our grandparents used to tell us, the “magic” is often in the hard work and consistency. Today’s cars are faster, smarter, and more efficient compared to the very first production cars to hit the streets in the early 1900’s. Was there some “secret” that transformed these old wood spoke horseless carriages into the aluminum and leather entertainment centers they are today? Sure there were many big breakthroughs over the years, but the biggest factor is simply perseverance. It’s this consistency over time that develops something into the best in the world. And our 2014 V4 Parkjets are the best we’ve ever done because they are standing on 10 years of parkjet perseverance.

At RCPowers we are committed to mastering one area of the RC market, and that’s foam parkjets. Since 2004 we’ve been focusing everything we got on making a better parkjet for the RC community. We have some of the best parkjets in the world not because of some “new secret”, but rather, the most amount of years at the field honing these in. We know the hundreds of wrong things to do in designing a parkjet, and this last year we have dug up three new “Must Haves” that only the new V4s have. I have to thank so many guys on the Forum that have helped us find this year’s big breakthroughs. It’s been many years since I’ve been so surprised at what I saw at the field, and you’ll be able to see for yourself why the V4 fleet lives up to the years of work we’ve put into them. Let me give you a little context first, and then get into the “3 Must Haves”.

What Else Is Out There?

Last year’s V3 Complete Package was very popular, and the F-18 V3 and MiG-29 V3 was particularly well liked and we took notice of that. The slow speed stability and high end flight performance of both planes surprised alot of guys. We didn’t know it yet, but some big breakthroughs were starting to emerge. As good as the V3s were, there were still many areas of needed improvement. With so many more guys flying the V3s and posting on the Forum we were able to see alot more and start a list. In particular, there were three big areas that needed to be looked at. Here is what we found:

Needed Improvement 1: A Common Build Standard. Several of the V3s followed a similar build style, but others like the F-117 “jumped out” of this standard. Didn’t seem like too big of a deal at first, but as we watched more guys on the Forum, we started to see that there was a “building learning curve” that needed more respect. Meaning, picture some guys with limited time trying to get as many planes built as fast as possible. If three of those planes have a similar build style and two do not, guess which ones might not get built. This may not be a big deal for some guys but for others it really is, and we wanted to do something about this. We looked at other RC companies to see what they were doing about this and we found that most of them were going in the opposite direction. No two planes seem to go together the same, they all have “special parts” that take extra attention, and it all has a very “unthought out feel” to the instructions. We all know how frustrating some builds can be. If we could crack this code and get some kind of “standardized construction”, this could really make things much easier for everyone. Can you imagine? Not only will you not be left alone with confusing instructions and a half made plane to fend for yourself, but you won’t have to relearn a whole new way to build with each plane! That makes the whole experience much more enjoyable knowing you can win at this building game and be flying in no time. We weren’t sure how to make all of these things work, but we knew we had to find somewhere to bring four wildly different new parkjets under the same kind of build standard...

Needed Improvement 2: Self Stabilizing Yaw. Here is a question I’ve been working on for years now... How can I make these RC planes fly more like the real thing? A big part of what makes the full size fighter jets so great is they have a magical performance about them. They are fast, aerobatic, can fly slow, even hover some of them, and yet they all make it look so easy. Isn’t that what we all just love so much about RC? Getting to pilot a plane that’s closer and closer to the real thing just feels that much more like flying in the cockpit. The trick in RC has always been when you go for more scale, you get instability, and when you go for more stability, well... it looks pretty dorky (beginner planes). Without solving this issue parkjet pilots are plagued with so many unnecessary crashes. We hate this! For example, you get caught in a turn with a crosswind and your plane is going to start to go out of control. And if you’re flying elevons only (which many guys do) forget about it! Your plane is now “weather vaining” and you’re going down. The workload of the pilot was too high. And this simply adds up to more crashes, more often. The whole point is to get a very turnkey plane so that you as the pilot can get the control you need. What a joy it is to have a plane that is so perfectly dialed in that you can just think of what you want it to do and it responds without spinning out of balance. That’s what we all want! A few years back we started putting gyros in the planes and got the control and performance we were looking for! Issue was, it was a bit costly and complicated. So for the last two years we’ve been trying to find clever ways to get the foam airframe itself to create some kind of “self stabilizing” effect. The “Holy Grail” of RC airplane design would be discovering a self-stabilizing system.

Needed Improvement 3: A Common “Multirole” Standard. One thing that had evolved over the years and really came together last year with the V3s was this idea of “roles” that each plane filled. But what if someone wanted to set up the speed plane to go slow? What if a beginner wanted to learn to fly on the expert plane? A slight “bottleneck” was happening where guys had to build “this plane” for “that role” and for the most part that worked out great, but sometimes this was against people’s personal preferences. I hate the idea of not being able to modify a plane to really do what I want it to do, don’t you? What if each plane specialized in their own role, but could also perform the abilities of each other’s role to a standardized degree? We again looked around to see what other companies were doing and we saw there were little answers to this. The beginner planes out there were not for experts and the expert planes were not for beginners. I guess if companies really “solved this” they would sell less planes because each plane would be doing more. So you end up really limited by your plane and not your abilities. It would be hard to do, but ideal, if each plane focused on their own role, and could “do it all” at the same time. This would really free things up for you to build and fly what you want faster. Again, we wanted a “standard”. If one plane could do “X” we wanted all of the new V4s to also do “X”. Meaning, if there was a very simple, calm version of each plane, and a very powerful, aggressive version of each plane, you would get to own a fleet of planes unlike any other that can be specially tailored to you. This is big! So we knew we had to keep digging if we wanted to solve these issues the V3s brought up. We really wanted to do something no one has done before, and make something spectacular for the V4s. So, we know from experience that having a specific plane fulfill a specific role is a big hit, but we somehow needed to find a way to have all the planes meet a “Multirole Standard”.

The “3 Must Haves”

Three clear areas of improvement were starting to emerge from all the flight testing. Can you imagine how grateful we are to have so many guys around the world flying the planes and posting their flight reports on the Forum? In one hour of research we could go on the Forum and get dozens of hours of research that others had done. We have such a supportive group on the Forum that is filled with guys that are so impressive to watch flying in their videos. These guys really know their stuff and truly become leaders in the RC community by sharing their knowledge. This is the kind of community that can only be the result of 10 years of building. This greatly fast-tracked our learning curve in coming up with these big three “Must Haves”. So here are the three big breakthroughs this year that have elevated the new V4 parkjets to the highest generation:

Must Have 1: A Common Build Standard! There is now one instruction standard that all four planes are built off of! This means when you build the first one, the other three will be faster and easier because it’s now familiar. Get this, you can also set up an “assembly line” if your work table is big enough and build two, three, or all four at a time! What I love about this is when you are building the planes it feels like you’ve done it before. This makes those 101 microdescions all evaporate. The front end work of making the instructions so much more efficient means that thousands of guys will be saving thousands of hours around the world! With our “score-fold-notch” technology you get a scale looking plane without a “scale build”. Meaning, the planes are made up of a few large pieces of foam that you score, bend, and lock into place. The new V4s build faster, look better, and are even more intuitive to build. The CAD work to make these all work so magically is something your friends will really notice when they see them for the first time.

Must Have 2: Self Stabilizing Yaw! So far this is the most talked about improvement of the new V4 line. They all have their verticals “towed out” 2.8 degrees. Wait what? The verticals are designed to be slightly “wedged shaped” as the plane cuts through the wind. What happens when the plane starts to unintentionally yaw to one side (from turbulence, crosswinds, etc) the vertical falling into the turn is now hitting more resistance than the other. This now forces the tail back to center. This is the exact same concept that putting a “V-shape” to the wings does with dihedral. This is the self-stabilizing system we’ve been looking for! The more the plane goes out of control, the more it pulls itself back into control! Wow and wow, this is the onboard magic we’ve always wanted and now it’s actually here. How good is it? Just watch over this next year as more and more guys report back what a difference this makes. Here’s the best part for me, ready? You can now fly with elevons only in real life. I’ve never been a fan of elevons only for my personal planes because of the problems mentioned above. Now with the yaw on auto pilot I don’t need a rudder servo! The plane is literally adding in its own yaw corrections for me. This improvement right here has been worth the cost of the entire project for me. The smile on my stupid face as I flew around in circles only doing slight movements on the right control stick. I was like a spectator watching the plane virtually fly itself it was so easy. I’m so happy.

Must Have 3: A Common Multirole Standard! This is something I always dreamed of doing but didn’t think it was possible, and it wasn’t until now. Like the Military, each plane must comply to a “required baseline” of performance. Meaning, the V4s all have to be easy enough for a beginner to fly with a simple set up, self stabilizing enough to center themselves from turbulence, capable enough to carry more equipment for advanced missions, etc. After that, they all must specialize in their required role that they are expected to fulfill. Each V4 is designed from the ground up to be two planes in one. This is something that was happening naturally with the V3s in sort of a “aftermarket” idea. Guys were finding a plane they really liked and then making a lightweight and loaded version of it. We thought, “What if we could make something like that part of the plan to begin with?” This way guys didn’t have to be all on their own trying to figure out how to modify their favorite plane. It’s like having a friend who’s helping you get exactly what you need. So the result is that each plane comes with a wiring diagram on how to set it up in one of two extremes. First one is the lightest, simplest set up and the second is the fastest most fully loaded set up. And because all four planes both specialize and do it all, you really customize exactly what you want. For example, want to fly the speed plane light and slow? There is a diagram for that. How about the 3D Hovering plane fully loaded fast and heavy? There is a diagram for that too. We got it all covered this year. This is one of the biggest improvements I love the most, because I know how much easier it will be for anyone to fly any plane. You want to learn to fly on the expert plane kid? Sure! Go ahead, just set it up with the beginner set up in the instructions. The ability to have any of the four V4s be either fast or slow (or anywhere in between) is like having eight planes for the price of four. That’s what I like!

Meet The Fleet

The “3 Must Haves” are all part of the foundational design of each of the V4 parkjets. First, they all have a common build standard that they go by even though they are all very different planes that fulfill different roles. Build one, and you can build them all. Second, they all have the self stabilizing yaw construction. If you are in a high alpha hover, pulling aerobatics, learning to fly, or breaking the 100MPH mark, the plane is holding itself steady for you. And third, all four of the V4s can be set up to be calm, quiet, slow and easy for beginners, or fast, aerobatic, and extreme for experts. Whatever you want, these planes will do. With all this now said, let’s take a look at each of the new V4s and the specific role they fulfill:

1) The Su-30 V4“HOVERING PARKJET”. With the breakthrough Su-30 V4 “HOVERING PARKJET” you are getting the world’s first production hovering parkjet. The ultralight, self-stabilizing design is inherently stable and wants to hover itself. Meaning, take your hands off the sticks and it wants to bring itself back in control. If you can hover a traditional RC 3D plane (YAK, Extra 300, Edge 540, etc) then you can hover this parkjet! The motor has been moved forward, closer to the center of gravity (your pivot point) which makes the control surfaces now become much more effective! The perfect balance of the design means you need far less to power and move it. you now have a plane at the field that can do what no one else’s can do... and with less cost and parts! This saves you time, money, and effort.

These factors give the new hovering Su-30 V4 the magical ability to bring its nose all the way up and hold it. The multirole options means you don’t ever have to get bored of it. Follow the instructions to transform this 3D plane into a full aerobatic, high speed, parkjet. You’ll find yourself flying this one more because it’s just too easy. The new Su-30 V4 “HOVERING PARKJET” is the first of its kind and you can read more about it on the Forum thread.

2) The Su-34 V4 “SUPER TRAINER”. As an owner of the new Su-34 V4 “SUPER TRAINER” you are getting our very best starter plane to date. It’s not only easy to build and fly, it’s easy to order, download, and get unlimited support for. The construction is bedrock strong and simple so you are done before you know it. It’s just a big fuselage that all folds and notches together, slides into the main wing, some control surfaces, and that’s it! Once in the air the self stabilizing features make all the small corrections so you don’t have to. This means you are in the air and working on your first loop before the other guys have figured out how to print their plans. The self stabilizing verticals on the new Su-34 V4 is an example of what sets RCPowers planes apart. You aren’t going to find “cheater tricks” like angled out verticals like you are here. This is why we get reports of guys saying it feels like there is a gyro built-in. This means you can make little mistakes, get hit with gusts of wind, be slightly out of trim, and the plane will take care of all that for you!

The ailerons have been radically redesigned to keep the roll super calm and push stalls away from the wing. The elevators have also been redone to provide much more strength and work with the front canards to keep the pitch from stalling. This means pilots no longer have to work hard to dial down the throws. Just install your servos the best you can, and the plane will take care of the rest! The Su-34 V4 is a solid platform that can also be upgraded to a fully loaded powerhouse. A second set of advanced diagrams are included so when you are ready, you can upgrade your Su-34 V4 one step at a time. This is a trusty plane that will be with you from the very start, all the way to your first airshow and beyond. The new Su-34 V4 “SUPER TRAINER” is the easiest and you can read more about it on the Forum thread.

3) The F-18 V4 “MULTIROLE PARKJET”. If a good dog is man’s best friend, then this F-18 V4 “MULTIROLE PARKJET” is a pilot’s best friend. It’s 100% reliable, does what it says it will do, never lets you down, and will always make you look good around others. The redesigned aileron configuration keeps the airflow channeling across the wing to the tips so you can never tip stall or over correct. This maximizes the efficiency of aileron leverage and keeps the wing tips from stalling! This gives the F-18 V4 the rare ability to never go out of control! Get this, the results are that you now can fly more acrobatically, with more stability at all times, with less programing of your radio and throws!

There is more! The simple score-fold-notch leading edge slats create an organic “bird wing” so the constraining laws of aerodynamics don’t apply to you. With the leading edge slats, you can feel the cushion of air engulf the wing! This lets the plane go slower in the turns with more stability! For example, you know when you are performing loops and there is that “hang time” right at the top and sometimes the plane tip stalls a bit and you have a sloppy loop? Well, those are gone with leading edge slats. The new radical ailerons, dogtooth tips, and now leading edge slats make it impossible to stall this wing even if you tried. This means you can fly high risk moves (such as loops) and do them a few feet off the ground and not worry! If I were to sum up the new F-18 V4 “MULTIROLE PARKJET” in two words it would be, “Flying Freedom”. The new F-18 V4 “MULTIROLE PARKJET” is the most fully loaded of the fleet and you can read more about it on the Forum thread.

4) The MiG-29 V4 “SPEEDMASTER”. If you were a fan of the MiG-29 V1, and were surprised by how great the MiG-29 V3 was, then you are going to be happy with the improved strength, stability, and speed of the new MiG-29 V4 “SPEEDMASTER”. The all new control surfaces is like having power steering for the first time. The clever increase in proportions gives it a calm, floating feeling even when it breaks 100 MPH. And the slow speed stability means you can even put a 2 cell on it and float around in the yard. The MiG-29 V4 has an enhanced stable new aileron design. This means it was already going to be stable for you and now it’s going to be super stable. The elevator hinge line was moved farther back to provide greater strength at high speeds and prevent ground strikes.

We increased the size of the wings but not the wingspan of the plane. We did this by increasing the size of the wing slightly and then sloping it back so it keeps its current wingspan. I know, you wouldn't have even noticed when looking at it. So what you got in the air is more wing area with the same wingspan and therefore greater lift and stability. Because the new verticals and elevons are so efficient, we were able to scale them down slightly. This gave us an increase in strength by once again, taking parts away, not adding to it. Alot of forces are coming off these powerful speed motors, so we moved the motor up closer to the center of gravity to counter this. The result is, a faster, sleeker, stronger, more stable design. The MiG-29 V4 is a speedmaster because it doesn't just “go fast” it’s mastered all the details to do it right. The next generation MiG-29 V4 “SPEEDMASTER” is the latest in parkjet speed planes and you can read more about it on the Forum thread.

How To Get Started

Unlike the big RC companies, we are a small team devoted to “at the field flying”. Like so many other guys out there, we were not happy with the high cost and poor performance of many store bought planes. So we decided to start designing and building our own. From there guys at the field asked if they could get their hands on our designs. Our parkjets became so popular that today thousands of guys around the world fly our planes. Search YouTube for “RCPowers” to see hundreds of videos. We are proud of these results because it tells us that the guys at the field trust our planes. Normal, everyday, father and sons just like you and me build and like our planes. This means when you get started with us you are joining a large, growing community of RCPowers parkjet partners.

Download! Do you like the “idea” of easy to download and print out plans but worry it might not work for your computer (or computer skills)? I’m right there with you. Over this last year we greatly simplified the login, downloading, and printing process so its now “kindergarten easy” to get started. All die hard computer illiterates out there are very happy with how fast (and even a bit fun) it is to jump in. The way it works is you purchase the V4 Pro Pack now with a Credit Card or PayPal. Then, a simple “username and password” is created so you have a “homebase” where your purchase is stored. This way you can return to it from your home computer, work computer, or even smartphone. Then in the top right corner of the RCPowers website a tab will appear (once you are logged in) and it will say “My Downloads”. And there you go! Click on the plane you want, the instructions for it are right there, hit print, and you’re on your way!

Parts! The worst feeling is to have your beautiful RC plane in the air... and then one second later it’s smashed into a million pieces all over the runway. So much time and money can be lost so fast. This is where one of the biggest advantages of scratchbuilding comes in. We all save the most time and money by building a simple foam plane and then transfer the valuable electronics from plane to plane! The four planes in the V4 Pro Pack have all been built around the most common, easy to swap out, electronics! This means its easy and inexpensive for you to get everything you need for them at your local hobby shop or online discount warehouse. Crashes are not a big deal with the V4 planes. All the parts are tucked in the center of the plane so they are protected in a crash. All you loose is a few bucks in foam and an evening building a new plane from your plans! Then just transfer over the electronics from the “retired plane” into your new one, and back in the air you go! This is how we all do this and its that easy to join in.

Building! “Hey where did you get that plane?” The most common question we all get at the field. Imagine the feeling you’ll have when you are flying your V4s and people stop and ask you where you got them. You can tell them, “I made them!” Building and flying my first RC plane was a huge confidence builder for me when I was a teenager. The instructions are simple, clear, and standardized. Honestly, the “hardest part” to all this is just printing them out! If you want to finally get started in RC planes, this is for you. The build instructions are made for someone who has never seen an RC plane before. I don’t even know how to tell you how easy they are other than you just have to see what we did this year. Everyone that sees them are very happy with the simplicity, clarity, standardization, of the new HD build instructions. If you decide to get the V4 Pro Pack, do me a favor, and write me back a quick email and let me know what you think of them.

Flying! If you order the V4 Pro Pack today, you could be flying by the weekend. We personally want to build fast, do it right, and get in the air soon. I’ve been flying RC for over 20 years and still get nervous on a “first flight”. There is just so much to go wrong! I got to tell you, as a flying RC pilot, when I take out these V4s, I feel a confidence I never had before. Why is this? Because I can look over the field-friendly instructions to double check I didn’t miss anything. There are CG notches on the undersides of the wings so I don’t have to “eyeball it” anymore. The structure of the plane is designed to be crash resistant and keep my electronics safe. All I have to do is toss the plane in the air and give it throttle. It literally centers itself, flies straight, and waits for me to give it a command! Wow, I love that. I have a hard time getting my hands to the sticks fast enough on take offs sometimes (fubble thumbs) and with the V4s it doesn't matter anymore. They are just too easy to build and fly and give me that feeling of control and freedom I am looking for.

The V4 Pro Pack Includes:

• The Su-30 V4 "HOVERING PARKJET" PDF Plans ($15.99 value)
  • The Su-34 V4 "SUPER TRAINER" PDF Plans ($15.99 value)
  • The F-18 V4 "MULTIROLE PARKJET" PDF Plans ($15.99 value)
  • The MiG-29 V4 "SPEEDMASTER" PDF Plans ($15.99 value)
  • Professional Instructions for each Parkjet
  • Beginner Wiring Diagrams for each Parkjet
  • Expert Wiring Diagrams for each Parkjet
  • Lifetime Support & Guarantee

• $63.96 worth of stuff!
    $49

Which Plane To Build First?
    How Does This Ordering Process Work?
    Watch Our Video Tour

Support

Every year things are getting better and better. If you need any help along the way just email us and we'll get back to you within 24 hours or less. The V4 Pro Pack now comes with a LIFETIME GUARANTEE. Why put a 60 day limit on it? If you decide that parkjets aren't for you and you want to go back to cars or something, that's fine. Just email us and we'll send you a full refund. This has been the best year for us and we know the V4 Pro Pack will bring you the fulfilment you are looking for.

"Thanks for taking that guesswork out"
    w00t!!! got the V4s!!! First thing I noticed that I definitely appreciate are the CG tabs and velcro placement suggestions. Weird as it may be, I feel a lot better knowing exactly where I should be putting down velcro THE FIRST TIME instead of making educated guesses - Thanks for taking that guesswork out of the builds, Dave and Scott!
    By gibby1117 | May 12, 2014 | Full review here

"Score & fold design genius"
    I just bought the V4 Package and after a quick look at the plans and instructions all I can say is: RCPowers did it again! The design and the plans of the V4 planes are a work of art, as always. Scott is a score & fold design genius! Also the pictures in the instructions are really nice (they used dark grey foam during the build so there is more contrast and visible detail)... Anyhow, the V2 and V3 series have turned out to be well spent money for me and I have no doubt this will also be the case for V4. Keep up the good work! By CptChaos | May 14, 2014 | Full review here

"CG tabs are a million dollar idea"
    Plans downloaded, off to Staples. Still sticking with the SU-30 and Mig-29 first, but that F-18 V4 has got my interest with those slats. Couple of things stuck out for me on this release. The CG tabs are a million dollar idea, nice job there. The control deflection guide is very smart too. I like how the exploded view, 3 view, master parts list, and instructions are all on one page instead of different files like before. Grey depron shows up great in the photos. The wiring guide is excellent, even shows which way to place your servo (upside down, laying flat, etc). Hopefully I will have the Mig-29 flying by the weekend with the NTM Prop Drive on it, will post video when able. Foam Tac and fiber glass tape on the elevon hinge is a must with that motor!! JettaManDan and F1wanabe are in a race to get the first V4 in the air. Excited to see video of the first flight guys!!!
    By ColoradoFlyer | May 12, 2014 | Full review here